Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA 9100/CSB's no batt box?  (Read 4295 times)

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
CA 9100/CSB's no batt box?
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:59:13 AM »
I need help connecting CSB's to a Church 9100.  The CSB's come with their own battery box, and mine happens to be the one with the with the rolloff switch.  The battery box on the CSB's connect via 4 pin mini-XLR in the middle of the mic cable, and the setup ultimately terminates at a 1/8" plug.  My goal?  Get rid of the CSB battery box. 

Based on a post from Chris, the 9100 provides plug in power that is total Volts minus 1.  So, I assume with a fresh battery in the 9100...one would get 8V of plug in power?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=79928.msg1422531#msg1422531

In an email I got when I asked Len from Core Sound about this he states:

"Sorry to say that it's unlikely that the Church Audio pre-amp can supply the -9 Volts and correct current limiting resistor that the CSBs require, so you'll still need the battery box."

"As I mentioned, the CSBs require -9 Volts."

These are from two different emails, so what's with the -9V?  Is that "negative sign" of significance?  Sorry, if that is a dumb question...I would just expect it to be positive.

Initially, I had hoped that I could just jump a few pins on that CSB battery box connector (middle of the mic cable) and get the plug in power from the 9100.  Apparently, it's not that simple. 

If I have to carry around another 9V battery just to power the CSB's, at least I'm hoping to build something smaller than the Core-Sound box (Heat shrinked parts and naked 9V, no rolloff feature necessary).  So, I seen several DIY schematics for battery boxes...can anyone suggest a favorite? 

Is there another way to get rid of the Core Sound Batt box without going through all the hassle?  Before anyone says, "buy different mics"...I'm trying to be economical.

Best Regards and thanks for any advice you can share!

--Michael

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:15:03 AM by mblindsey »
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: CA 9100/CSB's no batt box?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:19 PM »
I need help connecting CSB's to a Church 9100.  The CSB's come with their own battery box, and mine happens to be the one with the with the rolloff switch.  The battery box on the CSB's connect via 4 pin mini-XLR in the middle of the mic cable, and the setup ultimately terminates at a 1/8" plug.  My goal?  Get rid of the CSB battery box. 

Based on a post from Chris, the 9100 provides plug in power that is total Volts minus 1.  So, I assume with a fresh battery in the 9100...one would get 8V of plug in power?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=79928.msg1422531#msg1422531

In an email I got when I asked Len from Core Sound about this he states:

"Sorry to say that it's unlikely that the Church Audio pre-amp can supply the -9 Volts and correct current limiting resistor that the CSBs require, so you'll still need the battery box."

"As I mentioned, the CSBs require -9 Volts."

These are from two different emails, so what's with the -9V?  Is that "negative sign" of significance?  Sorry, if that is a dumb question...I would just expect it to be positive.

Initially, I had hoped that I could just jump a few pins on that CSB battery box connector (middle of the mic cable) and get the plug in power from the 9100.  Apparently, it's not that simple. 

If I have to carry around another 9V battery just to power the CSB's, at least I'm hoping to build something smaller than the Core-Sound box (Heat shrinked parts and naked 9V, no rolloff feature necessary).  So, I seen several DIY schematics for battery boxes...can anyone suggest a favorite? 

Is there another way to get rid of the Core Sound Batt box without going through all the hassle?  Before anyone says, "buy different mics"...I'm trying to be economical.

Best Regards and thanks for any advice you can share!

--Michael

I already answered this question... I use separate grounds from the input to output of my preamp.. You can not use a common ground like the way the core sound are wired. Another reason is I am pretty sure they are Negative bias mics.. Another problem.. YOU MUST USE YOUR battery box with these mics or UPGRADE to my mics.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »
I already answered this question... I use separate grounds from the input to output of my preamp.. You can not use a common ground like the way the core sound are wired. Another reason is I am pretty sure they are Negative bias mics.. Another problem.. YOU MUST USE YOUR battery box with these mics or UPGRADE to my mics.

Chris

Thanks for the input.  I mis-understood your original response as "probably not possible", not "impossible". 

Thanks again,
Michael
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:03:53 PM by mblindsey »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »

Chris

Chris

Thanks for the input.  I mis-understood your original response as "probably not possible", not "impossible". 

Thanks again,
Michael

Not possible... ;)  Sorry if I led you to believe there was a glimmer of hope :)
There is one way however...... I can think of if the mics are not reversed biased and they might not be I can change the connector on both your battery box and on my preamp and on the mics! To a 6 pin mini xlr that way the output ground and input ground are still isolated and you can then use your mics with the battery box by them selves or with my preamp. But I would have to take a look at your mics the connectors are $12 each for 6 pin + the cost of the work your looking at $48 just to convert everything.

Offline mblindsey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
Not possible... ;)  Sorry if I led you to believe there was a glimmer of hope :)
There is one way however...... I can think of if the mics are not reversed biased and they might not be I can change the connector on both your battery box and on my preamp and on the mics! To a 6 pin mini xlr that way the output ground and input ground are still isolated and you can then use your mics with the battery box by them selves or with my preamp. But I would have to take a look at your mics the connectors are $12 each for 6 pin + the cost of the work your looking at $48 just to convert everything.

Thanks for the offer to help engineer something, but on second (or 3rd/4th) thought, I think I'll just keep it simple and use the products as the manufacturer's intended.

--Michael

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 01:46:11 PM »

Thanks for the offer to help engineer something, but on second (or 3rd/4th) thought, I think I'll just keep it simple and use the products as the manufacturer's intended.

--Michael

Its not a big deal its just that I have to have separate grounds on my preamp. Thats the only thing that makes using a common ground like the type that is used on CS mics harder to get around. But the 6 pin config will work.

Chris

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:52 AM »
I haven't done this and don't want to masquerade as a tech person when I'm not, but I know at least one fellow TSer who has his DPA 4061 modified with a "cap" he puts on the place where the mics connect to the Coresound BB.  He then plugs the DPA 4061 directly into a Church pre or other manufacturer's power supplies. 

The Coresound DPA 4061 may not be wired the same as the regular CSBs, but I'm sure others more technically inclined can speak to this.  I just want to point out that I have seen at least one Coresound mic product run with a Church pre without chopping any wires or messing with the Church pre.  I have seen/heard the setup in action, and it works fine.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
I haven't done this and don't want to masquerade as a tech person when I'm not, but I know at least one fellow TSer who has his DPA 4061 modified with a "cap" he puts on the place where the mics connect to the Coresound BB.  He then plugs the DPA 4061 directly into a Church pre or other manufacturer's power supplies. 

The Coresound DPA 4061 may not be wired the same as the regular CSBs, but I'm sure others more technically inclined can speak to this.  I just want to point out that I have seen at least one Coresound mic product run with a Church pre without chopping any wires or messing with the Church pre.  I have seen/heard the setup in action, and it works fine.

Dpa mics will work with no issues the mics that mblindsey is referring to are hand made mics by Core sound that use a 5 pin mini xlr connector. The DPA mics will work if you chop off the end or use the CS battery box then my preamp if they are terminated with a 5 pin. The 5 pin mini xlr connector WILL NOT WORK with my preamp.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com