Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: C4 > V3; Anybody Run This?  (Read 4111 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
C4 > V3; Anybody Run This?
« on: June 29, 2005, 10:12:35 AM »
I've got Studio Projects C4's running through an Oade P-Mod UA-5 right now.  Have the itch to upgrade, and I really want a V3.  Anybody run this rig?  Just curious what it would sound like.  I know someone's thinking the mics don't really jive with the V3, but I gotta start my upgrade somewhere.  Figure the C4's are good enough to hold for a while, and it's hard to go wrong with a V3.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: C4 > V3; Anybody Run This?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:57:36 AM »
I've got Studio Projects C4's running through an Oade P-Mod UA-5 right now.  Have the itch to upgrade, and I really want a V3.  Anybody run this rig?  Just curious what it would sound like.  I know someone's thinking the mics don't really jive with the V3, but I gotta start my upgrade somewhere.  Figure the C4's are good enough to hold for a while, and it's hard to go wrong with a V3.

I would upgrade the mics first. the the ua5s are great pieces of eqipment.
I would say the ua5 is good enough to hold for awhile, upgrade the mics....

Ray

oniontaper

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 11:28:01 AM »
i just satisfied my most recent itch buy getting a pair of the C-1's. (and some used Audio Magic Presto II's that are coming soon)
I like the sound of the C-4's allot, so i figured Studio Projects must be doing an equal good job on there other mic's.
So far from the little testing I have done it seems to be a great upgrade for the $ i spent.  (and still haven't come close to V3 price range yet) this friday will be my first real field test with 'em. quite a few people around here like the LSD2 too.
so i agree with BigRay about the UA-5 and the mic upgrade
IMO HTH etc.....

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 01:11:02 PM »
Big Ray with the sound advice once again! +T to the man from the other side of the pond. 

I agrree and would upgrade your mics first.  While I am not a huge fan of the UA-5 personally it is a stronger building block for you to work off of than the mics

If you are really jonesing for a V3 let me know and i'll let you take mine for a spin to see what you think.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 02:06:08 PM »
I hear everybody on the mics.  Truthfully, I think my rig sounds great, just have the bug.  Realistically, I need to upgrade the JB3 so I can start recording in 24 bit.  I'm anxious to hear what comes of the Flash Tracker, but the 722 is a tempting option.  Just need to hear more from it (and the price needs to drop). 

I haven't been researching mics much.  The Peluso sets seem pretty sweet.  I don't stealth much, so interchangable caps is the way to go in my mind. 

+T's all around for humoring me.  OFOTD - thanks for the offer!  I might have to take you up on that.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Ray76

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 02:09:47 PM »
backatcha killer

+T

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 02:14:51 PM »
Hate to say it, but there's a lotto' money to be spent on the mics, and I don't want a divorce.  How about some suggestions for about $1500/pair.  Interchangeable caps a must.  Still running the P-Mod UA-5.  I dig an upfront, clear, well balanced sound (who doesn't). 

Guess the other option would be to have Oade modify my UA-5 to better match the mic.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 02:19:02 PM »

I agrree and would upgrade your mics first. 

I also agree, I think mics are the most important point of the chain and where the bulk of the cost of your rig should be.

If you are looking at V3 range for a budget you are in the Neumann SKM 140/AKG 480/MBHO 603 price range.

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 02:25:03 PM »

I also agree, I think mics are the most important point of the chain and where the bulk of the cost of your rig should be.

If you are looking at V3 range for a budget you are in the Neumann SKM 140/AKG 480/MBHO 603 price range.

Any of the above would be sweet, but aren't they all >$2000/pair?

Ray76

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 02:27:29 PM »

or if you are really brave, step up to MG 200s or 210s

Ray

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 04:41:51 PM »

Any of the above would be sweet, but aren't they all >$2000/pair?

def not used
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:25:08 PM »
if i were you, i'd look into some akg's, you can get the mics and all the caps for close to $1500 i bet if you're careful and don't get in a rush to buy.  They'll sound great with the ua-5 and when the time comes to upgrade again, they'll sound good with a v3 too.

i upgraded to a v3 and wasn't happy with my mics, and the clarity of the v3 made me dislike my mics - which led to buying different mics.  so be careful if you choose to head down that path.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 12:57:19 PM »
i upgraded to a v3 and wasn't happy with my mics, and the clarity of the v3 made me dislike my mics - which led to buying different mics. so be careful if you choose to head down that path.

Well, that, and you're a slut :P

haha, so true. +t

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 12:44:30 PM »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 02:43:58 PM »
good point about the the V3.
its so transparent, it'll show you the weakness of the c4, whatever they may be.  it outclasses those mics, and you'll probably hear it right away.

the Pmod is very nice.
IMO, but an LSD2, if you like the sound of the SP mics.  maybe shop around for a T+ mod to trade or buy outright.
you'll have a smokin' rig then that will sound very different than what you are running.

Peluso is an option as well.  Id say thats a better mic choice.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com