Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Busman2 UA5 mod - demo  (Read 7238 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Busman2 UA5 mod - demo
« on: July 10, 2005, 05:54:40 PM »
Well I gave the Busman2 UA5 op amp upgrade a run on Friday night.  Taped The Duo - outside and a Grateful Dead cover band at a bar - inside.  I was very pleased with the results.  Very clean sounding.  Not as noisy as the stock UA5.  And very transparent.  Before I bought it off Chris, I downloaded his sample of the OAD T-mod Plus and his mod.  I could barely tell the difference.  After using the BM2 mod, I can't be any happier with my rig than I am now.  +T and nice work Chris.

Below is a torrent which gives you a demo of Busman2's work, leegeddy's Bumblebees, and the AKG 414-XLS.  The demo is from the Grateful Dead cover band - Dark Hollow, from the Syracuse NY area.  I would have made a smaller samplel, but the band did a nice job on Eyes of the World.  So I thought I'd plug the band too.   ;D

http://www.upstatetapers.com/tracker/details.php?id=22&searched=

« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 05:56:11 PM by spyder9 »

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Busman2 UA5 mod - demo
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 09:43:48 PM »
what is a Busman2
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 09:59:26 PM »
hes a member here jon
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 10:12:21 PM »
oh ok, i find it funny that people have to mod something to make it work better.  why didn't the makers of the UA5 think before they made it.  THat is why I like apogee and grace.  they know what they are doing, no mods needed

Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 10:28:20 PM »
Spyder, you couldn't tell a difference between busman's samples?  I listened to those 'Althea' sample and tho it wasn't huge difference, the bass was definitely looser with the busman's mod.  The highs were a little exaggerated, at least the ride of the cymbals were more 'sustained' and washed out.  Mind you, from what I remember of my old stock UA-5, a big improvment....but not in the same league as the Oade T+ mod.  FYI, Oade is NOT using the Burr Brown OPA 2134 chip, as Doug has said himself. 

A fine score, none the less.  If I wasn't nickel and diming busman, I would have probably been running that myself by now.

Offline save

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • blah blah blah
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 10:31:16 PM »
stock ua-5 = $275
v3 = $1300

there's a reason why the ua-5 is so much cheaper than a v3, they had to cut corners to keep the price down.  nice thing is spend a few hundred bucks on getting it mod'd and it can sound damn close to a v3 for less than half the price!  sounds like a good reason to mod it to me ;)
save

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 10:35:56 PM »
While the MiniMe and V3 are outstanding units, they retail for 5x more than a straight out of the box UA5. You pay for what you get. I don't think Edirol ever intended the UA5 to be a high end preamp/AD. They definitely did not intend for it to be used without a computer attached, and as an entry level consumer home studio unit, it seems to be extremely well thought out for $250. In fact, I'd say that on a cost vs. performance and feature set, even the stock units outvalue the Grace and Apogee units.

I don't think anyone can say that the first revision MiniMe's were perfectly well thought out - now the V3 is a different story.

Regarding Busman2, I think it is pretty cool that someone would offer to put the work and parts into trying to improve the op amps and sell it for negligible profit - esp since Doug Oade won't do it anymore.

+Ts to you guys and Busman2.

EDIT: I type too slow and Justin said it better faster than I did.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:38:43 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2005, 11:08:41 PM »
   Spyder9 Thanks for posting this and thanks for buying this and getting the word out there are other people who can help mod the UA5 now that Doug isn't doing them. I'm not trying to nock the V3  it is awesome and if I was rich I'd have one too more than likely, but I'm not and I like to try things out to better equipment for the fun of it. This unit is a significant improvement over the stock UA5. After listening to the sample I like it even more it is crisp in the high end with good response throughout the frequency range I also like the quickness of response for the bass it is nice and tight to me. It is what it is and it didn't cost $1300. I wish I had a V3 to compare it to just to see if it can hold its own.
   Johnw and Justin your comments are exactly why I decided to try the mods. In the end it all comes down to the almighty $.

+T to all of you guys for putiing your 2 cents in and I will be offering this service to other tapers here that might want it. pm me if you want to discuss it.
 No one said this is the Tmod just like the Oade mod I don't want people to think  that, it is only a different spin on the great idea Doug Oade put forth in modifying things to make them better. I am only a fellow taper trying to help myself and others have decent equipment to pull the best tapes our money will allow.

Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 03:36:30 AM »
Spyder, you couldn't tell a difference between busman's samples?  I listened to those 'Althea' sample and tho it wasn't huge difference, the bass was definitely looser with the busman's mod.  The highs were a little exaggerated, at least the ride of the cymbals were more 'sustained' and washed out.  Mind you, from what I remember of my old stock UA-5, a big improvment....but not in the same league as the Oade T+ mod.  FYI, Oade is NOT using the Burr Brown OPA 2134 chip, as Doug has said himself. 

A fine score, none the less.  If I wasn't nickel and diming busman, I would have probably been running that myself by now.

Never said it was in the same league as the Oade.  No sir, that never left my finger tips.   But seriously, I couldn't really tell the difference.  Squinting just makes me dizzy.  I set up both tracks, one in Adobe Audition and one in Total Recorder.  Kept going back and forth, it was really close as far as I was concerned.  I even zoomed in on both tracks w/ Adobe, looking for any noise that would deviate the wav length.  Not much at all, if any.  Bottom line, its a big improvement over the stock UA5.  And its only the transparency mod upgrade.  Warm mods and presence mods are not available right now as far as I know.  Chris did a extremely nice job on this preamp and he should be commended.

Doug only supports those UA5's he modded.  The UA5 is no longer in production, so Doug won't upgrade any off-the street UA5s.  Since people have fallen in love w/ their Oade and are keeping them, some of us on the outside, who can't afford a V3, must make do.  Also, just because Doug is not using the Burr Brown OPA 2134 chip, doesn't mean that its an inferior chip to his.  Doug has not released, publicly, what chip he is using.  So we don't know what he's using or whether he ever considered this chip.  We don't even know what exact parts he used for the PLUS mod stuff.  At least I don't, maybe someone here knows more and wants to share.  We may never know with the way technology is changing in our field.  Either way, Doug is also commended for making a sweet upgrade to this box.  Excellent job Doug, with great sincerity!

I'd love to shell out $1300 for the V3.  But $300 I spent for the Busman2 UA5, matched with the 414-XLS and the Bumblebees, I think I can get some good sound quality out too.  Of course, one still has to consider: mic location and technique, sound quality of the stacks/monitors, the SBD mix, the room, drunken ass-clowns, and whether the band is "On".  I could be running $20,000 worth of equipment, and if any of these things become a bad factor, I might not have a good recording or a good time at the show for that matter. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 03:43:11 AM by spyder9 »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 06:38:20 PM »
Well said, spyder!

Looking forward to the mods, Chris....the ua5 still hasn't arrived.

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline hzgone

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 10:49:07 PM »
+t chris for your efforts in the community
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline musicsherlock

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Upstate New York
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 01:02:47 PM »
li'l bump for Chris (Busman2) as I'll prolly send my UA-5 to him on Monday for the Mod ;D

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 03:10:49 AM »
So if we were to send you our UA5 along with the chip that Doug uses would you mod it using that chip.  There is a post here on TS that tell what chip he uses, and was allowed to be posted by Doug himself, so I dont think he would mind.  Just curious
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Ray76

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 06:00:30 AM »
So if we were to send you our UA5 along with the chip that Doug uses would you mod it using that chip.  There is a post here on TS that tell what chip he uses, and was allowed to be posted by Doug himself, so I dont think he would mind.  Just curious

when i talked to doug the other day, he mentioned that the chip he uses wasnt being produced anymore.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 12:36:28 PM »

Sure if you want to do that I can. I was told he would not release info on what chip he uses so if you know please post it here I looked on his board and this one and can't find it.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 10:52:41 AM »

when i talked to doug the other day, he mentioned that the chip he uses wasnt being produced anymore.

The chip he uses has been updated and the aforementioned one is no longer in production.  Switching opamps will help, switching out the caps in the power supply and analog outputs is where the unit will start to really break through. 

D------------------
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »
oh ok, i find it funny that people have to mod something to make it work better.  why didn't the makers of the UA5 think before they made it.  THat is why I like apogee and grace.  they know what they are doing, no mods needed

it is called details, grace takes the time and research and pays attention to the minute details
while unlike edirol, they are out to market to the mass.
You pay for those details. The mods allow one to bring the unit closer to the big boys
who do pay attention to the details such as op amps and signal paths
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 11:48:43 AM »

it is called details, grace takes the time and research and pays attention to the minute details
while unlike edirol, they are out to market to the mass.
You pay for those details. The mods allow one to bring the unit closer to the big boys
who do pay attention to the details such as op amps and signal paths

Hit the nail on the head.  +T

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 01:05:37 PM »
if i get a stock ua-5 and just have a digimod done how will it work/sound with this setup akg 391 > star quad > ua5 > jb3?
and can Chris do this for me--i am sure he can

i rather have one box (ua5) vs 2 (ps2/ad20)

whats the opinions on which would be better?
thanks
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 01:19:43 PM »
if i get a stock ua-5 and just have a digimod done how will it work/sound with this setup akg 391 > star quad > ua5 > jb3?

thanks

It will sound fantastic for the money IMO, I had that rig and I loved it, just traded the pre for a stealtheir one.

Sample recording: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=20546
mics & cameras

Ray76

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 01:25:56 PM »

thanks

I am pretty sure the ua5 would sound better.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 01:28:34 PM »
thanks guys
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Josh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »
are the 1/4" inputs on the front panel still active with the busman mod?
AKG 481/3>bumblebee Miagis>V3>jb3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 51 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com