Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BusmanR4 VS. Stock R4  (Read 18435 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re: BusmanR4 VS. Stock R4
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 07:17:18 PM »
I can assure you there is no doctoring done for these though.

I tried to make it clear in my post that I believe this whole heartedly.  I've never doubted your integrety Chris.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »
I can assure you there is no doctoring done for these though.

I tried to make it clear in my post that I believe this whole heartedly.  I've never doubted your integrety Chris.

Matt

Same here. I think we just wanted to have a clear comp so the listener can say exactly what they do/don't like about the mod/unmod.

Offline headroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 03:27:30 AM »
hello can somebody help me please. I am searching Busman E mail adress to by a new Edirol R 4 Pro modded from him.  Thanks

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 07:18:20 AM »
hello can somebody help me please. I am searching Busman E mail adress to by a new Edirol R 4 Pro modded from him.  Thanks

Call cascade media and talk with Frank.  He sells the R4pro and busman does all their mod work.

Hours of Operation                       
Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM PST

Phone: 503-353-6860
Toll-free: 888-336-4643
Fax: 503-353-6864
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
FWIW,  Doug Oade is also modding the R4 Pro.  My warm mod R4 Pro should be here next week.   ;D

Busman has gotten great reviews on his work but I would be remiss if someone did not also suggest Doug's excellent work as well.

www.oade.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
Here is a comparison.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=423190&torr=true

Can you explain your method to me so I understand exactly what you did to get this test result..

Thanks
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »
2 tracks, same show, same song...

source 1: Neumann AK40s>LC3>KM100 > BusmanR4
source 2: Neumann AK40s>LC3>KM100>stock R4

The mics were flown just a few inches apart on the same stand.

Here is a comparison.

Can you explain your method to me so I understand exactly what you did to get this test result..

Thanks

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2007, 12:28:42 PM »

Here is a comparison.

Thanks

That does not help me. Was it the same pair of mics? what was the source a live band playing the same song twice? I need to know the exact method used in order to evaluate how accurate the test was.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

Here is a comparison.

Thanks

That does not help me. Was it the same pair of mics? what was the source a live band playing the same song twice? I need to know the exact method used in order to evaluate how accurate the test was.

my understanding is that they were recorded the same time
1 song
2 sets of mics
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 12:37:28 PM »

Here is a comparison.

Thanks

1 song
2 sets of mics

Yonder Mountain String Band 
8-25-2006
Horning's Hideout North Plains OR

live source..  they only played the song once during the show..  two sets of mics... etc  (see above)..  whats not to understand?
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2007, 12:41:20 PM »

Here is a comparison.

Thanks

1 song
2 sets of mics

If that's the case this test shows nothing. Because two sets of mics will sound different. Also if the position of the mics is not exactly the same ( And that is impossible ) with two sets of mics to occupy the same space between them It now becomes impossible to know, if it was the difference in mic position or if it was modifications done to the preamp..
In order to do an objective test we have to have ground rules and I would say the first one is you can not use two sets of mics..... You must use a speaker because the only way to change out two preamps is to make sure A- THE PREAMPS outputs are calibrated acoustically between the two sets of preamps and that you simply press play again on the playback system and everything is exactly the same volume with the exact same mic placement then you can tell what the preamps are really doing.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2007, 12:42:41 PM »

Here is a comparison.

Thanks

1 song
2 sets of mics

8-25-2006

live source..  they only played the song once during the show..  two sets of mics... etc  (see above)..  whats not to understand?
Two sets of mics = a flawed test with unrealiable resaults... for the reasons I listed above.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
Two sets of mics = a flawed test with unrealiable resaults... for the reasons I listed above.

While not ideal, I still think this is a reasonable test.  Not perfect, but reasonable.  Even though not ideal, that doesn't mean the test provides -no- value.  Rather, we need to take it with a grain of salt and acknolwedge the circumstances as part of our evaluation.  I for one find this comp useful, but obviously no single comp is the be-all, end-all and we must evaluate multiple tests, in multiple scenarios, in as controlled an environment as possible (in addition to our "perfect world" test we're trying to sort out in the other thread re cables).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »

Here is a comparison.

Thanks

1 song
2 sets of mics

8-25-2006

and..  you better make sure the barometric pressure and relative humidity are exactly the same for both tests or it is completely flawed and completely useless..   

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »

While not ideal, I still think this is a reasonable test.  Not perfect, but reasonable.  Even though not ideal, that doesn't mean the test provides -no- value.  Rather, we need to take it with a grain of salt and acknowledge the circumstances as part of our evaluation.  I for one find this comp useful, but obviously no single comp is the be-all, end-all and we must evaluate multiple tests, in multiple scenarios, in as controlled an environment as possible (in addition to our "perfect world" test we're trying to sort out in the other thread re cables).

If your going to do a test to see what preamp is better. You cant use two different sets of mics. I would never dream of doing a test like that never mind that the mics are not in position. This is a basic principal of doing an evaluation you must have the same source and the mics must be the same in order to really know what the preamps are doing. Placing mics even centimeters apart produces a difference in sound quality. So how can you know if the differences that are being heard are the differences in mic placement or the differences in the microphones or the differences in the preamps?? You cant... So the test is not valid. It might show that two different sets of mics sound different and two different sets of mics placed close together sound different but dont we already know that? so why do a test where the results are already known? we know that if we use two different sets of mics its going to sound different. So I rest my case I am not trying to pick on anyone I am just stating a simple fact.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com