Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: minidisc to sound board  (Read 4146 times)

Offline gustercc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • be my winding wheel
minidisc to sound board
« on: June 19, 2003, 11:32:12 AM »
Okay,
So, I have a Sony {net md} MD-LP type -R w/ a mic input as well as an optical line-input.
I went to this gig to try and pull some music. I went up to the soundboard guy and asked him if I could plug into him.  Unfortunately, I didn't have the proper plugs. I felt like a fool and was utterly upset that I wasn't able to get a good copy of this concert. So, my question is, what  other lines should I have brought with me. If you guys could give me names/types to bring, it would be greatly appreciated. Anylinks where I could find this stuff would help too.
As you can tell, I really really new to this, I opted for the minidisc route as a first step.  I'd like to move to patching into someone next but I'd just like to get the basics down. A recommendation for a good mic set up would be greatly appreciated too. I only have about $2-300 to work with, or else I could be sleeping on the sofa, permanently.
thanks,
 ;D
--Rich
gustercc@yahoo.com

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:minidisc to sound board
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 11:35:11 AM »
On most MDs that I've seen, the line input is both optical and electrical (via 1/8" minijack). In that case, you should have 2 RCA>1/8", 2 1/4" TS>1/8", 2 XLR>1/8"

That should cover you on the great majority of boards out there, and will also help you with patching from some people.

*Edit* Jamie's right (see next post). I even bought a pair of these yesterday to go RCA>1/4" into my ULN-2.  :banging head:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 11:41:59 AM by MattD »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2003, 11:39:54 AM »
As far as the 2 RCA > 1/8" and 2 1/4" > 1/8" goes, all you need is the 2 RCA > 1/8" and some gold RCA > 1/4" adaptor plugs found at Radio Shack.  Saves you from buying another pair of cables.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2003, 11:42:16 AM »
I would also recommend some RCA splitters. They are great for splitting a line out of the board and for some reason people always forget them, can make you real popular when you do have them.  ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 12:45:50 PM »
I'm not sure where to get them, or if they're even made that much but I had a XLR > 1/8" 10 foot cable that came with my AT822 (not a bad beginner mic IMHO either!).

It was XLR > stereo 1/8" so you don't need 2 XLR > 1/4" > 1/8".  It came in handy for all those boards who run a mono mix, it allowed me to grab the other channel (usually the right for some reason) really easily and it seemed (to these bad ears) to sound much better then grabbing say the headphone out or something like that.  You might need an attenuator to bring the levels down to something your MD can handle though (like the Shure A15AS, see yard sale </blatent ad>).

Patching might come easy with some of these new units that have opticals out (which are rarely used).  If you don't have one already I'd recommend getting an optical cable too!
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 01:05:29 AM »
yeah, don't do the headphone out thing.  I did that on my second recording attempt (never patched before) and it was bad.  Of course the sound guy didn't know what the hell he was doing.  But the heaphone will be a 1/4" so go with the RCAs>1/8", less bulky

Offline K-dub

• Taperssection Newbie
  • What's up all you Hipster's!!!
    • funk
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2003, 12:04:38 AM »
I have a CO2 A/D converter if you your interested, (this can take a digi patch from (board, dat) and convert to optical for input to yur MD. I also have a 3 ft optical monster cable i will sell with it CO2 $75 new Cable $40 new I'll sell ya both for $80 I've only use each about 10 times. Recently upgraded to an M1 (DAT) and have no use for these anymore.

if interested e-mail me
taper@forbins.com
Bowman

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2003, 11:53:33 AM »
Just to correct, the CO2 is not an A/D converter. It's a format converter from coaxial SPDIF to optical SPDIF.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 01:36:11 PM »
Also most boards will NOT have a digital output, but a format converter will help you get a patch from someone who is already patched out of the board with a DAT deck or is running a rig.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com