Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonic impact when connecting XLR cables?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Sonic impact when connecting XLR cables?
« on: August 27, 2006, 05:49:27 PM »
Is there a sonic impact when using two xlr cables connected together to form a longer run?

I have some 30 ftrs. and 17 ftrs. I'm wondering if I should get some Canare 50 ftrs. or connect my two existing pairs.

I guess I could test it at home, I will probably do that, but has anyone else tested or do you have any knowledge on the subject?

thanks
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sonic impact when connecting XLR cables?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 06:09:27 PM »
Only if the connectors are of low quality or have high resistance due to corrosion or oxidation. I use DEOXIT Gold on all of my connectors.
This eliminates any issues with resistance in good quality connectors; nothing will help a cheap XLR connector. I also think it’s very important to use the same make and type of cable so if you have star quad on the first XLR cable make sure its star quad on the extension.
This maintains the shield and capacitance of the cable. I always like to keep my runs as short as possible this is not a huge deal with balanced audio, but it does make a difference to your signal to noise ratio if you run too far.

Chris Church

Is there a sonic impact when using two xlr cables connected together to form a longer run?

I have some 30 ftrs. and 17 ftrs. I'm wondering if I should get some Canare 50 ftrs. or connect my two existing pairs.

I guess I could test it at home, I will probably do that, but has anyone else tested or do you have any knowledge on the subject?

thanks
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com