Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 Mods?  (Read 7873 times)

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
UA-5 Mods?
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
Does Busman (or anyone) still mod these?  I may be about to acquire a stock one and would need to get it modified for our purposes...  Conversely, anyone want to make me an offer I can't refuse?   ;) ;D

Thanks!
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA-5 Mods?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
Busman still should.  He advertises it on his website.  About a year or so ago, he upgraded parts on one I owned.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
Chris (Busman) still does the mods

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
Haven't paid attention to the sales recently, but not too long ago you could purchase modded UA5s for the same price as the mod itself.  If it were me i'd save my money and just put an ISO on the YS for a modded unit. my .02

edit:

ALso curious why a UA5? Nothng wrong with them as i've owned a couple myself, but why this as opposed to an all in one of similar cost, like a busman 660 for example?  Just curious
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:17:39 PM by paulbaptiste »
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »
Already have recorders...  I need to focus my sluttiness.

I am slowly building a decent open setup and really like the ease of use I had with this device.  My now-retired taping buddy had/has one a stock one that I really liked; and the UA-5 still fits into my price range now.  I was not aware the mod-price was so high; I probably am going to just post an ISO in the YS when I have funds available in Paypal.

Other why -- I am also going to collect/use older mics and the UA-5 has TRS, which it appears to be phased out on comparable devices.  If there are any in the same range, please advise  (semi-frequent reader, infrequent poster);  I have looked at tinybox/etc, but they are out of my range at this time.

Also, iirc, wasn't the switchable/passive so that I could still use this as a usb computer interface if desired.

TIA!
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-

-------

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »
FR2LE has 1/4 TRS/XLR combo jacks. It's a good recorder with very quiet pres but is larger than many options of comparable age and much larger than many newer recorders in common use by TSers. It is also more expensive than what your budget appears to be.

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 06:38:48 AM »
Other why -- I am also going to collect/use older mics and the UA-5 has TRS, which it appears to be phased out on comparable devices.  If there are any in the same range, please advise  (semi-frequent reader, infrequent poster);  I have looked at tinybox/etc, but they are out of my range at this time.

I am pretty sure that the TRS connectors are disabled on my Busman-modded UA-5 - bm2p+...

The XLRs that are part of the same combined sockets do work though.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:59:47 AM »
and there were some switchable digimods/ but i don't remember a switchable digimod that was also an oade or busman mod ect.. I may be wrong on that one though... I forgot about the trs being disabled also...And for mics that are terminated with trs, can't you simply use an adapter? Or better yet, teac and nak mics that can be modded to run p48 by a few people on this board now rather cheaply..

I loved my busman UA5 when i had it, but the lack of monitoring, made something like svu2 (beachtek??) a necessity for me, and with so many cheap all in ones on the market, i ended up getting a busman modded marantz pmd 660, one of which i still own, which IMO sounded better, was far less gear to tote around, and for $300 dollar price tag nowadays, i find a much better, more versatile investment.  to each his own.  the marantz only has xlr inputs though also.  But i'd def. post in the YS if thats the route you want to take and you'll find a great price on a modded UA5 fairly easily i'd imagine.

Good Luck
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »

I am pretty sure that the TRS connectors are disabled on my Busman-modded UA-5 - bm2p+...

The XLRs that are part of the same combined sockets do work though.

This is true of the Oade Modded UA5s as well...  The XLRs work, the TRSes do not...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »
And I believe that it disables the spdif input too with the Busman mod.

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:41:16 PM »
Tascam DR-40 has combo xlr/trs jacks. An entire recorder with P48 for $200. You can get one a little cheaper if you shop around. I dont have any info on how the preamps compare to a modded UA5 though

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »
Good replies all, thank you!

This is why I started asking ???s at least a month before purchase.  I am going to get some adapter-cables made, I will need 2x TRS>1/8" for sure pretty quickly.  Glad I found out about the TRS thing now on the UA-5; never actually ran those into it...  So, you guys probably ended that idea.  Not sure I can convince the wife I need another recorder, but that Tascam unit looks nifty.  I like the looks of the tinybox as well and may just need to save a bit more.

So, what would you guys recommend?  Here are my next upgrades as I see it:

1 - Preamp-type device (need to upgrade from battery boxes)
2 - get another set of 853s + omni caps (mine are wired for 007)
3 - more mics
4 - profit???
5 - recorder/more sluttiness

I'd like to take care of 1 & 2 this year.  Also, I aim to pick up older mics at estate sales/whatever & would need to device to be able to power them for test before sale (or use).  I already have a pair of minty Teac ME-50's that are TRS.   ;D

Thanks again!
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-

-------

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
If you are still looking I have an Oade Bros Digimod UA-5 I would be happy to sell.  Like new condition.  I used it to transfer some cassettes to digital at home some time ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since.  It has never been "out".  Nice selection of cables etc to go with it.  bodegahwy @ comcast.net

Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:34 PM »

Not sure about the BusMod, but the Oade Mods left the SPDIF intact...  The only problem with it was that it was not "bit-perfect" in that any SPDIF input went through an analog stage before being sent back out of any of the digital outputs...  In other words, it could not be used as a Digital Format Convertor (much to my grief when I first bought it)...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 03:36:23 AM »
If you are still looking I have an Oade Bros Digimod UA-5 I would be happy to sell.  Like new condition.  I used it to transfer some cassettes to digital at home some time ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since.  It has never been "out".  Nice selection of cables etc to go with it.  bodegahwy @ comcast.net

I purchased & am waiting on a Tinyboy from Naiant.  I may still be interested in your UA-5 in the coming weeks when I get some computer stuff listed/sold on fleabay. 
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-

-------

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:12 AM »

That must be why I can't link my 2 DR-680's with my V3 & Ua5!
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
and there were some switchable digimods/ but i don't remember a switchable digimod that was also an oade or busman mod ect.. I may be wrong on that one though...

I have a one with the Busman UA5 bm2p+ with the switchable digimod.  The orginal owner did the switable digimod then sent it to busman for the bm2p+ mod.  I may be in the market to sell it if anyone is interested.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline trustthex

• Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »
Thanks for proving I'm not crazy!   ;D
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-

-------

kirk97132

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »

If you're trying to use the SPDIF in on the UA-5 then ,yes, I believe it's your problem.  It's been awhile since I sold my Busman UA-5 but I do remember tearing my hair out at a show trying to use the SPDIF in on the pre.  Ted, why not use the SPDIF & AES outs one to each deck.  You'll lose two channels but would be perfectly clocked.  You'll need ot "get a cable meade" to adapt the XLR to RCA for the input to the 680, but the deck will take either input.  Hope that helps, Kirk

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 11:37:17 AM »

If you're trying to use the SPDIF in on the UA-5 then ,yes, I believe it's your problem.  It's been awhile since I sold my Busman UA-5 but I do remember tearing my hair out at a show trying to use the SPDIF in on the pre.  Ted, why not use the SPDIF & AES outs one to each deck.  You'll lose two channels but would be perfectly clocked.  You'll need ot "get a cable meade" to adapt the XLR to RCA for the input to the 680, but the deck will take either input.  Hope that helps, Kirk

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Yeah, someone reported on gearslutz that they Cascaded  AND word clock synced two 680's together through the cascade feature but lost the digi in (7/8) on the slave.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/661582-linked-tascam-dr-680s-theory-vs-practice.html

DR680 #1 Digi in from External Digital Preamp
DR680 #1 Digi Out to DR680 #2's Digi Input
DR680 #1 Set to Cascade master
DR680 #1 7/8 set to DIN (Not Mix)

DR680 #2 Digi in from DR680 #1's Digi Output
DR680 #2 Set To Cascade Slave
DR680 #2 7/8 Set to DIN (Essentially word clocking DR680 #1)

kirk97132

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
Well, I would NOT use the cascade function.  From what I understand that is how to sync two decks without any external preamps in place.  What I am suggesting is to run your 680's as 7&8 digi in.   And, I'd have to say, I'm not sure why they would try to run wordclock into a SPDIF/AES input. 

V3(#1) > SPDIF out to DECK #1
V3(#1) > AES out to Deck #2 

Offline bodegahwy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »
I have posted it now on the yard sale.
Martin Guitars, Moots Bikes, Scott Fly Rods and BD tele skis.  Music in the Mountains.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com