Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: v2>mme cliping help  (Read 5781 times)

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
v2>mme cliping help
« on: February 26, 2005, 03:15:39 PM »
So last night at moe.  I ran v2>mme.  However I couldn't even turn the mme clock wise at all w/o major cliping (this was to the house music). It was fully counter clockwise in the "clicked" position.  My pots were all the way down on the mme.  Anyone know why this might happen?
I''m runnin xlr out of the v2 to xlr in on mme.  Is this a double gain stage problem?
Somebody said it might be a jumper issue.  Anyone got any ideas?  Because of that problem my levels were really low.  (If I cranked v2 constant red meaning i was clipping the pre)  But my levels were low. But any increase on mme, clipped the tape.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: v2>mme cliping help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 03:31:36 PM »
is the internal jumper set to lowgain?

have you calibrated the minime and the v2?

If you calibrate them then you won't ever have to mess with the minime again, just use the V2.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 03:33:20 PM »
# Connect all of your gear.
# Place mics in front of one loudspeaker.
# Set the stereo to a non-dynamic source such as fm static or white noise,
# Turn Pre-amp to its maximum setting on both gain levels and trim levels.
# Turn up radio volume until +16 dbu on the preamp just starts to illuminate. (on the V2 this is when the red lights first come on).
# If using a Lunatec V2, adjust AD converter until the meters on the DAT deck peak at -6 to -8db.
# Adjust the L and R channels until they are balanced.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 03:39:14 PM »
yeah i calibrated according to sonic sense...hmm maybe ill check out this jumper issue
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 03:58:49 PM »
I would look at the jumpers... it's a really quick and easy fix.

Have you used the Minime for any other loud rock shows? If it's a jumper issue I think you would have noticed this problem before.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 07:45:34 PM »
yup it was a jumper
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:18:37 AM »
my first thought was the jumper also since I had the same issue with mine when I ran it with the V2, glad that was the problem, easy to fix
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 02:27:44 AM »
wait, I'm rereading your original post... where you running into the minime and using the purple knobs on the minime to set the levels?

if you're running an external pre, especially one with variable gain, you should have the purple knobs all the way to counterclockwise and clicked off. That will disengage the internal preamp in the minime.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 02:31:24 AM by Tim »

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 12:11:28 PM »
wait, I'm rereading your original post... where you running into the minime and using the purple knobs on the minime to set the levels?

if you're running an external pre, especially one with variable gain, you should have the purple knobs all the way to counterclockwise and clicked off. That will disengage the internal preamp in the minime.

that was my thought.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 02:01:54 AM »

but if i want more mme I can just turn the knobs clockwiser right?  Or is it only calpots?  I've never used mme to adjust levels, only v2.  I just thought I would give it a whirl, and thats when the clipping started.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

marc0789

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 08:36:10 AM »

but if i want more mme I can just turn the knobs clockwiser right?  Or is it only calpots?  I've never used mme to adjust levels, only v2.  I just thought I would give it a whirl, and thats when the clipping started.

your problem wasn't the jumpers, it was using the gain knobs. if you want more gain during a show, you have to hit the screw pots. that's why you need to calibrate pre-show and never touch the thing....just hit the v2 if you want more gain. yeah it was a lot easier setting the v2 and adjusting gain on the ad1k knobs, but.......

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 12:13:08 PM »

your problem wasn't the jumpers, it was using the gain knobs. if you want more gain during a show, you have to hit the screw pots. that's why you need to calibrate pre-show and never touch the thing....just hit the v2 if you want more gain. yeah it was a lot easier setting the v2 and adjusting gain on the ad1k knobs, but.......

exactly...

you must use the calpots, once you engaged the purple knobs you engaged the internal preamp on the minime.

If I was you I would calibrate them at home and never touch the calpots or the purple knobs at a show. You have a variable gain preamp, there's no reason to touch the minime.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2005, 08:05:04 PM »
there's no reason to touch the minime

my thoughts exactly ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

jessedscott

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 07:41:38 PM »
there's no reason to touch the minime

my thoughts exactly ;D

QFT!  no seriously, I just got done using Jef-O's V2 w/ my UA5, while it isn't a mme, used in the same manor. gain on the UA5 DOWN, use the V2 to set the levels. ran about 25 or 30 and used some trim w/ HPF. moe is somewhat bassy if you will. came out nice. there's that word again, trim, I love trim! :P +T for desolving your problem.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 07:57:35 PM »
seriously though...back when I ran the V2/minime combo I played around with many different ways to run it. If you se the jumpers to low gain you can run the V2 and mini-me with the purple knobs and not go over....I tried the calpot way also, that was a major pain in my ass.....no matter which way you run it, you are running it through both gain stages...I did some comps and noticed very little if no difference when running it with the purple knobs or the calpots so I ran it with the purple knobs to set the levels....either way, one of the reasons I didn't much care of the unit in the end.
In Tyler we Trust

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com