Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is the Sony PCM-M10 still the best recorder for 200 euro?  (Read 12526 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is the Sony PCM-M10 still the best recorder for 200 euro?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:42 AM »
It'd be interesting to hear a comp between the R05 and M10.

For me, the ability of the m10 to handle the hot signal of the psp2 is essential. Not many small recorders can do that.

Offline OMA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »
Thanks for all your answers. So how's battery life on the Edirol R-05? The M10 battery life was incredible. How does the preamp compare to the M10's internal preamp?
Also, I've read that the MP3 encoder on the R-05 is pretty poor quality. Is it that bad? I will almost always record in WAV, but sometimes I might need to use MP3 for convenience.
BTW, the R-05 seems to be a device from 2010, and the M10 is from 2009. They don't make portable solid state recorders like the M10 or the R-05 anymore?  ???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:54:35 AM by OMA »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
For me, the ability of the m10 to handle the hot signal of the psp2 is essential. Not many small recorders can do that.

Can't speak for the PSP2, but I've never had any issue running the notoriously hot output of the Sound Devices MixPre into an R-05, provided I use attenuators on the mic input of the SD box.  From what I've read and heard though, that's very common with the MixPre and small recorders. 

Thanks for all your answers. So how's battery life on the Edirol R-05? The M10 battery life was incredible. How does the preamp compare to the M10's internal preamp?
Also, I've read that the MP3 encoder on the R-05 is pretty poor quality. Is it that bad? I will almost always record in WAV, but sometimes I might need to use MP3 for convenience.

I haven't done a rundown test on the R-05 but the M10's stupendous battery life certainly trumps it.  Then again and IMHO, it would be pretty foolish to go into a recording situation without having fully charged/fresh batteries in your deck or at least spares on hand if you can't check the batteries beforehand.  I can tell you that there have been times when I've run the R-05 for 3 or so shows in a row (averaging 3-4 hours per night) without changing batteries and have had a comfortable amount of juice left at the end of the run. 

Don't know anything about the R-05's MP3 encoder but as far as the preamps, here is an often-referenced chart that might be of some help. > http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »
It's just my (unpopular) opinion, but I prefer the Edirol R-05 to the M10.
Full sized SD card, no gain wheel on the side, simpler, cheaper.
I am not a huge M10 fan because it has some small but annoying flaws.

What are the "small" flaws of the m10......not trying to start a flame war!  Just trying to learn.......

Flaws may be a strong word, because it is a good deck, so I didn't mean to incite anyone. I think it's important to know there are many who really like the R-05. Regarding the "flaws" which are no secret at all, I find the micro sd very tempermental and I get faster transfers if I remove the card and go direct, but with the M10 I choose not to with remove the card, it's just too finicky. Also the battery door is a bit flimsy. The meters are not quite the same level on my deck but a small post adjustment is no big deal. Battery life is stellar, but I always use an external battery, just a habit. The lock does not lock the record level, which sometimes is good, but sometimes is bad. Again not to nitpick, but someone asked.

The truth is that for me, recorders that have the "line in" on top are best for my discreet setup. That is the primary reason I was drawn to the R-05 and I have never has a single recording issue, but in fairness, my first deck did lose all the writing on it, it rubbed off , and eventually the lock stopped working so with full disclosure I sold it on ebay to someone that didn't need a lock button and was very happy. I purchased 2 barely used ones before I sold mine. I also really like the Marantz PMD620, it's a really nice tiny deck that almost no one uses.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline OMA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 06:16:29 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. They're very helpful. You all make this a great forum!

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 09:59:03 AM »
BTW, the R-05 seems to be a device from 2010, and the M10 is from 2009. They don't make portable solid state recorders like the M10 or the R-05 anymore? ???

There is the Sony PCM D100 ;D

Offline OMA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 04:31:26 PM »
BTW, the R-05 seems to be a device from 2010, and the M10 is from 2009. They don't make portable solid state recorders like the M10 or the R-05 anymore? ???

There is the Sony PCM D100 ;D

But that device plays in a different league, plus it's still a 2 year old device ;)

I guess with portable recorders things are much slower than with other more mainstream devices.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 04:33:14 PM by OMA »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
What are the "small" flaws of the m10

Don't get me started on the stereo imaging from the closely spaced built-in omni mics (else forum members will yawn noticably).

As for more recent broadly similar devices, there's the Tascam DR-22WL, but that's chiefly recommended if the wifi remote facility is useful to you in particular.  My hunch is that other companies may soon update their product lines with similar control features before long.  An M10 with crossed cardioids built in and wifi remote would be a killer.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 11:36:21 AM »
What are the "small" flaws of the m10

Don't get me started on the stereo imaging from the closely spaced built-in omni mics (else forum members will yawn noticably).

I'm not especially a fan of the built-in mics, either, but then, I never use them for music. (For interviews etc., they're fine.)

After using an M10 heavily for a year and a half, I'd say the only things I'd characterize as flaws are: 1) the gain wheel can be turned when the device is on hold, though it's pretty hard to do so accidentally; 2) the auto/manual mic gain switch can be flipped accidentally, but it's immediately noticeable on the device's screen (big section of it suddenly is white-on-black text) and can be prevented through a small piece of tape, 3) transferring files via USB is moderately slow. None of these are dealbreakers for me, and none has ever even caused me the slightest problems, but I've noted that they could be improved.

In any event, the M10 could emit death rays that kill puppies and I'd still use it for its battery life alone.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 06:21:16 PM »
Could be dealbreakers for those who stealth.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »
Could be dealbreakers for those who stealth.

I stealth. It's seriously never been an issue, even while stuffing the M10 into pants pockets. The gain wheel has a guard on it, so it's very difficult to turn it by accident.

The only time I've ever had trouble with a recording due to an M10 design issue was when I flicked the hold button off and held it to try to get the backlighting on, and accidentally shut the power off. And that could have been avoided if I'd RTFM. Compared to all the minidiscs, iRivers, etc., in my past, my M10 has been a dream of reliability.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
Another happy and returning Roland R-05 user here, and I've used the M10 as well. But you just can't justify the 2x price against the Roland. So I'd answer NO to the OP.
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 12:46:34 AM »
Another happy and returning Roland R-05 user here, and I've used the M10 as well. But you just can't justify the 2x price against the Roland. So I'd answer NO to the OP.

???

Roland R-05 $199
Sony PCM-M10 $245
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
The truth is that for me, recorders that have the "line in" on top are best for my discreet setup. That is the primary reason I was drawn to the R-05 and I have never has a single recording issue,

Just to point out, because I initially read that to mean that the M10 doesn't have the "line in" on top, that the M10 does indeed have both the "line in" and "mic in" on top.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Greenninja

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2016, 03:55:53 AM »

Sorry to revive a dead thread but would your answer be the same if they were both the same price as they are now @ $199?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com