Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rack Mount Rig vs. Portable Multi-track  (Read 3204 times)

Offline 192_Kenny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Rack Mount Rig vs. Portable Multi-track
« on: February 13, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »
Hey all! Totally excellent forum. Wow I have spent many nights flipping through the threads here. First post.

I'm coming from a commercial studio background. Looking to get into acoustic recording full time. Not really field recording, more acoustic acts and stages. (Coffee Shops, Orchestras, Solo Piano Work, Jazz groups and so on)

Right now i'm trying to figure out if I want to go with a multi-track unit with 8 preamps and conversion or keep one of my API lunchbox's full of 512 preamps and my lynx converters to a macbook pro. I'm worried that the sound quality and flexibility of the small rack couldn't be matched by the preamps and conversion of smaller units.

I see benefits to each setup. Just looking for some professional options. Any insight would be great.

Cheers,
192_Kenny
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:01:22 PM by 192_Kenny »

Offline 192_Kenny

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Rack Mount Rig vs. Portable Multi-track
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:12:51 PM »
Well sounds like a lot of the multi-track recorders are almost up to the sound quality of the high end preamps. The Zoom f8 and the Sound Devices seem mighty appealing. I have been reading reviews and listening to the preamps tests.

To simplify my question, what would the added Functionality benefits of a laptop rig be over a probable multi-track rig? Or for location acoustic recording are the feature sets on the small units completely adequate?

Cheers
Kenny

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »
Personally I don't like the issues associated with laptop recording, though it's been years since I went in that direction. and having something that is truley to be able to be powerd in the field with out AC power is important. 
If you are not concerned about DC only power and depending on how many inputs you need I'd consider the QSC  http://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/touchmix-mixers/ you ca also use it for doing FOH engineering.

Some really nice mics and an F8 would be a great way to go  if you only need up to 8 channels

others will chime in with their favorite flavors and opinions too.
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline 192_Kenny

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 07:07:26 PM »
Personally I don't like the issues associated with laptop recording, though it's been years since I went in that direction. and having something that is truley to be able to be powerd in the field with out AC power is important. 
If you are not concerned about DC only power and depending on how many inputs you need I'd consider the QSC  http://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/touchmix-mixers/ you ca also use it for doing FOH engineering.

Some really nice mics and an F8 would be a great way to go  if you only need up to 8 channels

others will chime in with their favorite flavors and opinions too.
--Ian

Hey thanks Ian. That's the second time I have been recommended the QSC unit. If I'm doing full band work the Touch Mix 16 looks like a nice package. Honestly, I don't plan on needing more than 8 preamps for most of my projects. Sounds like you are also a fan of the f8!

Anyone else care to chime in? I'm all ears.

Thanks

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
Well, as already said, an all in one solution is generally thought more reliable, more convenient and more easily run on battery power than a computer based rig.  What you select to use may depend on what you are comfortable using and want to haul.  The folks at GearSlutz in the Remote Possibilities Recording forum seem to accept Sound Devices 7xx series recorders without question.   Whether the Zoom F8 will find similar acceptance among professional recordists will be determined in time, I suppose. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com