Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!  (Read 21439 times)

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
Luckily, security here isn't too strict.

Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
So, pulled the trigger on the Ugly II Preamp today. 

For most shows I go to, it's nice to run a battery box only but figured having this preamp is more or less the same as a battery box and isn't that much bigger at the end of the day.  Figured for times like the last show I was at (where I had to run the M10 at 9.5 or 10 with the AT853's) and only get peaks of around -12dB, the Ugly II Preamp made sense to have.  Now I can choose what to bring depending on the show. :)

Cancel that.  I should modify this as I jumped on the CA-9200 deal for New Year's.  As much as the CA-Ugly II is a nice piece of technology, the form factor isn't that much smaller than the 9200 at the end of the day.  I can get either piece of equipment into a show with ease (consdiering I came from the days of a TCD-D7 with CSBs or a WMD-D3 analog pro walkman). 

The Ugly II is awesome.  Just couldn't resist the package deal on the CA-9200's...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 03:20:25 PM by adrianf »

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
I've been using mine for a few months now, and I really like it. After not really understading Chris' choice of gain steps, I must say he knows what he's doing - the lower amplifications are perfect for loud rock shows, the higher ones for acoustic or nature. I've used it in both loud and soft situations with great success!

With a good, consistent recorder setting it's a "set and forget" situation, which is great for non-obvious taping solutions.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 06:21:55 PM »
I've been using mine for a few months now, and I really like it. After not really understading Chris' choice of gain steps, I must say he knows what he's doing - the lower amplifications are perfect for loud rock shows, the higher ones for acoustic or nature. I've used it in both loud and soft situations with great success!

With a good, consistent recorder setting it's a "set and forget" situation, which is great for non-obvious taping solutions.
Thank you very much. I know they don't sound like something anyone would choose but they are based on my mics in real world recording situations with me mixing shows. From loud shows in clubs and arenas and quiet jazz gigs. To outdoor shows.

Merry Xmas

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »
Thank you very much. I know they don't sound like something anyone would choose but they are based on my mics in real world recording situations with me mixing shows. From loud shows in clubs and arenas and quiet jazz gigs. To outdoor shows.

Merry Xmas

Chris, that's the beauty in what you do -- you know what we need as "odd" as the settings might be.   Looking forward to getting mine to play with in the new year.

Likewise, Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to you and yours.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com