Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Difference Beween the m148 and m248?  (Read 19895 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Difference Beween the m148 and m248?
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »
and you wont, they are the most amazing pre made for our purposes.

so I am bound to start a holy war here, but opinions may vary.

not dissing the m148, but 20dbs of gain can be too much for some mics.  I know that MG users for example have to run the pad if your taping FOB....

but as always ymmv
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 07:09:10 PM by nickgregory »

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2004, 07:36:39 PM »

not dissing the m148, but 20dbs of gain can be too much for some mics.  I know that MG users for example have to run the pad if your taping FOB....

but as always ymmv

I don't know about that. Have you run one? The MG/Oade Pre combo was fairly common in Panic circles for awhile, I would have thought I would have heard something about that.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2004, 07:39:33 PM »

but as always ymmv

I don't know about that. Have you run one? The MG/Oade Pre combo was fairly common in Panic circles for awhile, I would have thought I would have heard something about that.

Dave Thoma runs MG200/210s>M148>Mod SBM1 right now and he runs it with the pad, as he had a hell of a time getting the sbm1 above the 2/3 range.

Offline Tim

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2004, 07:41:11 PM »
really. I had never heard anyone mention that! Thanks for the info, I'm storing that one away.

FWIW - Doug can and will modify the output to your needs whe he builds it for you. I have no idea if he can or will mod a unit later, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2004, 07:43:12 PM »
What are the going prices for the m248?
ive never seen one go for less than 750, i think new they were over 1k?

to add: my asking price on mine is in that neighborhood, and somewhat negotiable :)  shameless plug.

248s sold originally for $900, but have not been made for several (over 5) years.  They typically are sold around 750 as jonny stated.

Offline Tony B

• Needs more sun.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2004, 07:43:32 PM »
Whoa...I know a 2-3 max on the SBM-1 (mod or no) would make me nervous. I'm settling into my V3 as we speak, but it's never to early to start looking on the horizon, and the m148>V3 combo is intriguing, in its own way....

WHY CAN'T I JUST BE HAPPY?  :-\
Coffee is for Closers

MG m200>AM Hyperconducters>V3>JayBeeThree/h120

Offline Tim

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2004, 07:44:00 PM »
Goose! Got those tapes, thanks man... they sound great, nice work!

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2004, 07:46:15 PM »
Good to hear you got them Tim, thanks.  I need some info from you, look for a PM at some point.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2004, 07:47:58 PM »
really. I had never heard anyone mention that! Thanks for the info, I'm storing that one away.

FWIW - Doug can and will modify the output to your needs whe he builds it for you. I have no idea if he can or will mod a unit later, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

I dont think you would encounter that running from the section...but if you are running way FOB, as Dave does in some cases (and I do when possible),the SPLs can be a bit much.

That being said I also thought the "most amazing pre for our purposes was a bit over the top" :) but hey, what do I know, I still think the MP2>Mod SBM1 made some smoking tapes...and the V3 is continuing that tradition!  It depends alot of what you look for in your tapes I do believe....and since we all hear things a little differently...

Offline Tim

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2004, 07:49:40 PM »
I ran it fob primarily, and the Panic tapes are from the mid 90's when policy was just like DMB's... suprised I never heard of any problems.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2004, 07:51:53 PM »
I ran it fob primarily, and the Panic tapes are from the mid 90's when policy was just like DMB's... suprised I never heard of any problems.

honestly it may be that people ran the sbm1 low.  I have always heard the rumor that if you run it below 3 you will have audible noise issues, but I never proved it in, or heard an actual tape supporting it....so who knows, it may be overkill to run the pad if the sbm1 stories of noise arent true...

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2004, 12:13:06 AM »
It is the mod that causes the sbm1 to be run that low. He can & will adjust the mod (even old ones)
so that the resistor circuit can be run about 4-5 notches higher on the sbm-1 with high gain mics.
I woupd think that running themic pad to compensate would be worse than the low levels on the sbm1.
I have never heard noise on the sbm1 below 3 FWIW
schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2004, 12:15:10 AM »
didnt realize it was the mod causing that....thanks for the info!

marc0789

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2004, 09:38:37 AM »

but as always ymmv

Dave Thoma runs MG200/210s>M148>Mod SBM1 right now and he runs it with the pad, as he had a hell of a time getting the sbm1 above the 2/3 range.

I can't get the gain on the modsbm1 over 6, unless it's acoustic music, then I have to pretty much open it wide. normal levels for fob loud rock, around 5. but dpas are pretty low output. really, though, as long you don't have to go lower than 4 for the mod, is it a problem?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2004, 12:23:47 PM »
I used to run into that problem all the time running mg m210>beyer mv100>sbm1 (with no mod). The highest I could ever run the sbm was at 3.5 and that was typically in small clubs in NYC (Wetlands about 5 times) but also DMB at Giants stack and WSP Central Park section.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com