Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Church transformer based pre  (Read 84646 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Church transformer based pre
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 11:46:07 PM »
Well, before this discussion got moved to its own thread (which is good), I had suggested external power, and the alternate suggestion, of an attached 3 x 9V power box, instead of putting the batteries inside.  Personally, I think you should stick with full size XLR ins, as they are the most common, and avoids that "one more cable" issue.  Me personally, I would love to see something with some really good meters on it.  Missing my Tascam meters terrribly. +T for your ongoing work.

Minimal connections (ie one less adapter cable by using full size XLRs) is a good idea and adding meters instead of/in addition to clip-light would be nice...  Of course, that's one more item that would increase price, reduce battery life, etc...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 12:38:12 AM »
I personally like clip lights and have gotten used to using them with the V2. They are exremely accurate.
I agree on XLR. Only one standard for a reason.

I think 9v is a great idea too, makes mating it with an easy lithium solution a breeze for field power.
Something I think could really be a hit with a transformer based pre is possibly an alternate signal path to give you a warmer sound, such as the Neve Portico silk option. Warm or Transparent. I also think a 4 ch pre would be a good option as well.

Good luck, Phil

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 12:55:29 AM »
I am not interested in starting one since I have been called out as some one that cares more about selling then helping users here.

Chris Church

For what it's worth I thank you for the time you put in to make quality gear for us. Don't ever feel like you shouldnt promote yourself or the work you do. I'd rather have gear made by someone who knows and tailors their gear toward our narrow end of the audio spectrum. Keep it up Chris!

Yep I agree...T+......I pm'd you a couple of months ago about doing something like this...Its great to see you trying it....I just wish someone could teach me how to do this.  I would love to learn.

I learned how to do this the hard way.. When I was a kid I used to go "garbage picking" I would find TV sets, Toasters, Stereos.. I would get my mom to plug in things after I "fixed" them.... Some times there would be sparks sometimes they would work.. Then I got into live sound and here I am.. So if you really want to learn get a soldering iron and someone to "plug things in" and your set :)

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 12:59:22 AM »
Well, before this discussion got moved to its own thread (which is good), I had suggested external power, and the alternate suggestion, of an attached 3 x 9V power box, instead of putting the batteries inside.  Personally, I think you should stick with full size XLR ins, as they are the most common, and avoids that "one more cable" issue.  Me personally, I would love to see something with some really good meters on it.  Missing my Tascam meters terrribly. +T for your ongoing work.

Minimal connections (ie one less adapter cable by using full size XLRs) is a good idea and adding meters instead of/in addition to clip-light would be nice...  Of course, that's one more item that would increase price, reduce battery life, etc...

Terry

Meters are great... The only problem is getting them to not effect the sound of the preamp, and not taking up too much space. Amperage is not a concern here because we are talking about an external battery.. But size is.. I do want to keep the size down. Full size XLR cables are nice. Maybe a multipin input to 2 XLR cable.. I just want it to be small if I can keep the connector size down I can keep the preamp small XLR connectors on the outside are very small but on the inside they stick out like a inch. So its give and take.. If I build a cable it will last a long time and it could be custom made for different lengths maybe even plug right into the mics directly, I don't know I am just thinking out loud..

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »
About the pre, I suggest something like 6-12V input.  Use a charge pump circuit like LT1054 to generate an internal split supply.  There is also a good inductor-based circuit in the DMIC-20.  It uses Maxim MAX743.  "Field power" really does need to be flexible.

Good luck on the project!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 01:02:53 AM »
I personally like clip lights and have gotten used to using them with the V2. They are exremely accurate.
I agree on XLR. Only one standard for a reason.

I think 9v is a great idea too, makes mating it with an easy lithium solution a breeze for field power.
Something I think could really be a hit with a transformer based pre is possibly an alternate signal path to give you a warmer sound, such as the Neve Portico silk option. Warm or Transparent. I also think a 4 ch pre would be a good option as well.

Good luck, Phil

I might have transformer options. One more like a Neve the other will be very true and flat.. Its really hard to do more then one signal path in such a small box.. I  just have to get to the bread board stage and see where I am at, size wise.

Roving Sign

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 01:05:50 AM »
I understand the need to keep the size down - but perhaps there is interest beyond the stealth market...? Look at the size of the UA5...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 01:07:14 AM »
About the pre, I suggest something like 6-12V input.  Use a charge pump circuit like LT1054 to generate an internal split supply.  There is also a good inductor-based circuit in the DMIC-20.  It uses Maxim MAX743.  "Field power" really does need to be flexible.

Good luck on the project!

Richard

I was going to design it to work from 9 volts to 24.. I figure that way no mater what supply is being used It will work.. I use a simple opamp right now for a rail splitter its a Burr Brown OPA227P before that chip I will use a plain jane voltage regulator to get the voltage to regulate to 9 volts and then I will feed it into a pump charge for the +48 volt. This is in theory of course. LOL we will see how my theory works once its built.

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 01:07:40 AM »
Right, I'm off the OT a bit. I'm thinking of things I would want in a pre. Like variable signal path (warm/transparent), easily powered, XLR/TRS inputs, and 4ch would the over the top. Not exactly small, which I think is becoming less of an issue. It's either tiny or it's not, in the sense of taper usage.

Great idea to take suggestions BEFORE building something. More should do the same.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 01:09:08 AM »
I understand the need to keep the size down - but perhaps there is interest beyond the stealth market...? Look at the size of the UA5...

That's huge if I had that much space to work with I could make it a coffee maker too :) If that is an except-able size then I can really do this with very little trouble. Once I finalize the design

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2007, 01:11:01 AM »
Right, I'm off the OT a bit. I'm thinking of things I would want in a pre. Like variable signal path (warm/transparent), easily powered, XLR/TRS inputs, and 4ch would the over the top. Not exactly small, which I think is becoming less of an issue. It's either tiny or it's not, in the sense of taper usage.

Great idea to take suggestions BEFORE building something. More should do the same.

Oh I want suggestions I don't want to build something no one wants that's for sure. I am not a millionaire if I build this people must buy it. So I want peoples input and what better place then here?

Roving Sign

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2007, 01:11:43 AM »

That's huge if I had that much space to work with I could make it a coffee maker too :) If that is an except-able size then I can really do this with very little trouble. Once I finalize the design

Well - I cant speak for the whole tribe here - but your smaller products have proven themselves - and I think you have generated some interest among the non-stealth crowd...

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2007, 01:13:06 AM »
I think in terms of portable size, the V3 is about the size you should aim for. Not much bigger.
But, I think there is always a ripe market for niche type pres in the gearslut realm.
If you make it well, they will come. It's all about the sound, so don't compromise that in any meaningful way for size considerations. IMO
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:15:00 AM by nashphil »

Roving Sign

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2007, 01:15:59 AM »
Right - half a rack space is not too big...

Heck - I never really use DC...So that doesn't even matter in my world... ;D

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2007, 01:22:57 AM »
It's all about the sound, so don't compromise that in any meaningful way for size considerations. IMO

Agreed here, remember Frank Lloyd Wright:  Form following Function.  Size should be secondary to performance...

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com