Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk about Oade mods....  (Read 20894 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Let's talk about Oade mods....
« on: June 17, 2007, 09:29:47 PM »
Just want to get a feeling for those that have listened to his modified units at length. 

Interested to going to one box for everything.  I recently got midside's vst62 and have been running the KCY > VST62ug > T+ modUA-5 this weekend.  Pretty stunning results.  I prefer it to the KCY > Lemosax running into the T+ mod's RCAs.

I am sold on the UA-5 plus mods (T and W in particular).  Just wanted to know what people think is Doug's best achievements and if the T and W mods for his HD-P2 and PMD671 have the same sonic signature.  I still cannot believe the recordings I get in 16bit with the UA-5 plus.  Super clean and detailed, even at the most extreme gain.  Still an owner of a mic and line modSBM.  Never gonna let that go, one of Doug's finest achievement, IMHO.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Let's talk about Oade mods....
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »
I loved my WMod+...  I upgraded to the ACM-P2.  Both sound fantastic, but I haven't run the P2 enough... 

You'll have to do some research to see how people compare the P2 to the 671.  I went with the P2 because it has a nicer display...  I figured both would sound awesome and would fulfill my needs. 

I used to want to buy my WMod+ back so I could try different configs and do comparisons...  But other things have always come up and I can't afford to do it...

My absolutely useless input...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:56:09 PM »
I've used my ACM P2 a handful of times so far, and previously used a Warm UA5 quite a bit.  I find the ACM P2 has a wider/deeper more detailed soundstage, while the Warm UA5 offers a warmer, meatier sound with a less expansive (though still mighty fine) soundstage.

I've not compared the T+ UA5 with the T-mod P2.  In speaking with Doug, I expressed how I found the T+ UA5's superb transient detail ideal for my LD mics (at the time) and asked how the T-mod P2 compared.  He said at least as good, if not better.  Obviously, consider the source, but when I go back to LDs, I'll probably change my ACM for a T-mod P2.

One of these days I'll get to a stock v. ACM P2 comparison.  :-\

Dunno if you've seen this yet, or if you'll find it useful:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,84519.0.html
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 04:26:20 PM »
I guess this is kinda off mark with the thread, but being fairly new (and I know this has probably been discussed many times before) I have mixed emotions about the whole Oade line.  I mean I talked to him and I know he's a nice and knowledgable man.  I also know that he deserves mega-credit for supporting this community for as long as he has, but the whole exclusivity thing with buying from him only is pretty bothersome to me.  I know it's his prerogative to run his business as he wishes, and I suppose he probably has enough business that he doesn't need to service any more than the units he sells.  But to my way of thinking, if the community supported people like Busman more and more such that there was enough business go away from Oade, then maybe he'd change his policies back to being more open...maybe Busman or others would have enough business to also provide the level of detailed support that Oade does.

I guess it's no big deal.  He sells quality upgrades and you get what you pay for, so in the end it's no biggie because he definitely also provides value with what he sells.  I just wish it wasn't so exclusive to the units he sells.

For me though, his policy caused me to decide to go with the busman mod and buy a third party 660 rather than buy a modded one from Oade.  Call it my own form of boycotting.  Course, I'm sure that and a dime gets me a cup of coffee!  Ha!

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »
I guess this is kinda off mark with the thread, but being fairly new (and I know this has probably been discussed many times before) I have mixed emotions about the whole Oade line.  I mean I talked to him and I know he's a nice and knowledgable man.  I also know that he deserves mega-credit for supporting this community for as long as he has, but the whole exclusivity thing with buying from him only is pretty bothersome to me.  I know it's his prerogative to run his business as he wishes, and I suppose he probably has enough business that he doesn't need to service any more than the units he sells.  But to my way of thinking, if the community supported people like Busman more and more such that there was enough business go away from Oade, then maybe he'd change his policies back to being more open...maybe Busman or others would have enough business to also provide the level of detailed support that Oade does.

I guess it's no big deal.  He sells quality upgrades and you get what you pay for, so in the end it's no biggie because he definitely also provides value with what he sells.  I just wish it wasn't so exclusive to the units he sells.

For me though, his policy caused me to decide to go with the busman mod and buy a third party 660 rather than buy a modded one from Oade.  Call it my own form of boycotting.  Course, I'm sure that and a dime gets me a cup of coffee!  Ha!

From a service oriented business stand point Oades's policy is the only way to do business in high volume.  He would run into way to many hacked up boxes that people expect to have fixed (not just modded) otherwise.  It is the same thing as any electronics warranty.  If you buy a tv, open it up and try to make the picture better by replacing caps and the such, they will not cover it under warranty if you mess it all up.  That is the only way to do it.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »
I noticed that when busman started selling the modded 660, Oade came up with the "song catcher mod" 660.  They are almost identical in price.  Could it be that Oade needed something cheaper than the ACM to compete with the busman mod?   When asked about the quality difference between the ACM vs the SCM he said "they are very close but it does use different chips."  Who knows....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:30:04 PM »
From a service oriented business stand point Oades's policy is the only way to do business in high volume.  He would run into way to many hacked up boxes that people expect to have fixed (not just modded) otherwise.  It is the same thing as any electronics warranty.  If you buy a tv, open it up and try to make the picture better by replacing caps and the such, they will not cover it under warranty if you mess it all up.  That is the only way to do it.

Very true.  However, your point isn't valid I'd think for the majority...that being for people that have never touched the inside of their boxes.  Even so, he has the right to conduct his business any way he wants, so that's OK.  Consumer has the equal right to choose another source...and thus the free market world keeps on spinning daily.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 05:31:16 PM »
but does busman offer mods on the 671?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »

Glad I saw this one.   Let me try and explain how I see the Oade policy on only modding gear purchased from him.

First and foremost the very second that any modder opens up a unit and starts replacing anything the manufacturer warranty is voided.  The Grace V3's may be the exception with Doug only though.   So as soon as Doug cracks the 660 open he and his business are 100% on the line for that unit.  Even if he doesn't replace chips at all and just tinkers he and his business have effectively cut out the manufacturer.  So in that sense what he is doing is covering his ass from a business standpoint.  Say you buy a 660 from Acme Taper Co., it develops a quirk.  You send it to Doug to mod and he sends it back with his mods.  You then in turn say to Doug, "Well Doug my unit has a quirk now, fix it"  well then he's possibly on the hook to fix a problem that should have been fixed under the manufacturer's warranty before Doug even touched the box.

The fact that Busman offers to mod units that were not bought from him or Cascade is a hell of a deal.  But I bet that once someone takes advantage of that policy (see quirk example above) that that business practice stops.  Obviously Busman's partnership with Cascade put Frank on the line with regards to problems of which several have been documented on this site.  If Busman decides to quit the mod business or end his deal with Frank then Frank is still on the line for the units sold through him. 

So both business owners are taking great financial risk by offering mods that void the warranty. 

I think that the one misconception people have about Doug and Chris' mods is that they are the same mods.  They ARE NOT.  Both guys use different chips and have different methods for obtaining different results.  A Busman "T" mod is very different from the Oade "T" mod.   

Personally I do not think that the Busman mods are anywhere near as sonically positive (is that even a correct phrase?) as the Oade mods.  Doug does his mods by ear NOT by chip number.  It speaks volumes to me that when people talk about some of the best sounding tapes that Doug has had his hand in most of them.  The Busman mods not so much.  Maybe because he is new to the game, maybe not. 

I noticed that when busman started selling the modded 660, Oade came up with the "song catcher mod" 660.  They are almost identical in price.  Could it be that Oade needed something cheaper than the ACM to compete with the busman mod?   When asked about the quality difference between the ACM vs the SCM he said "they are very close but it does use different chips."  Who knows....

I can't imagine that Doug feels any pressure (financially or sonically) by the Busman mods.  Doug however has started moving his audio business more towards the modding business and that's why I would suspect he is now offering mods at all price points.

Quite frequently lately people have PM'd me about my thoughts on the Oade mods vs. Busman mods.  My standard plagiarized answer is "trust your ears".  If people made their decision on gear by what they heard instead of what an internet description is then again I find things to be a no brainer on who to choose.   I think too many people will buy modded gear just because someone is fluffing it and not because of what they hear.  Everyone has different gear.  Talk to Doug to see what mods he recommends for YOUR particular gear.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:20:59 PM »
I realize this isn't particularly helpful... but I just moved from an ordinary digimod UA-5 to a Warm+mod UA-5 to go with my LSD2... all I can say is "WOW" :o it does make a big difference.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:09:03 AM »

The main thing is trying to figure out if the current multi-flavor boxes thing something I should stick with.  I am passing one of my mod units to Chucky, and while we be able to swap back and forth easily enough, I am trying to gauge how these new HD-P2 and PMD671s work in terms of the overall improvement in sound over the UA-5 plus.  I am thinking down the road that the HD-P2 is a better machine for video work but I haven't a clue really other than the word clock and video sync BNC/XLR on the HD-P2.  I remember reading on the PMD vs HD thread that Doug liked the mic mods a bit more on the PMD compared to the HD but he like the HD'd line ins out of the box.  

Pair the all in one box with a vst62 and this will be the most easy rig to set up and break down with the minimal fuss or muss of multiple boxes.  Now to get a 8 foot stand to fit in a standard portabrace!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:12:11 AM by shaggy »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:07:30 AM »
doug does offer a transparent mod (tcm) and warm mod (wcm) for the tascam hd-p2 but he only offers the acm mod for the 671.

FYI, Doug does offer the ACM on the HD-P2.

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/tascam_hd-p2_upgrade.html
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:11:36 AM »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »
doug does offer a transparent mod (tcm) and warm mod (wcm) for the tascam hd-p2 but he only offers the acm mod for the 671.

FYI, Doug does offer the ACM on the HD-P2.

http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/tascam_hd-p2_upgrade.html

Doug probably just renamed the ACM HD-P2 the WCM HD-P2 when he introed the TCM HD-P2.  When I bought my ACM-P2, he had just introed the Tmod.  He told me the ACM and the TCM were similiar thinking to the WMod and Tmod UA5s.

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stevetoney

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
Glad I saw this one.   Let me try and explain how I see the Oade policy on only modding gear purchased from him.

Thank you very much for this response.  It makes perfect sense.  In that respect, I'm glad that I did respond the way I did because it helped to bring out the issues that you have pointed out in your thread.  I see now very logically how it's really not simply an exclusivity issue like I assumed.  The way you explained makes total sense to me now so again thanks. 

As is often the case, there is often a very logical explanation behind peoples motives, even when sometimes it doesn't seem like it!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com