Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50  (Read 113492 times)

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2007, 10:49:37 PM »
Memory Stick HG Pro Duo has a theoretical max speed of 60MB/second.  That's about three times as fast as the max speed of the Pro Duo.

It's more informative to check out the **minimum** write speed of the two memory sticks:

Pro Duo: 1.875 MB/second
HG Pro Duo: 6 MB/second

Two channel 24/96 WAV recordings generate data at a rate of 576,000 bytes per second, three times less than the Pro Duo's minimum.  So the Pro Duo should be a good match with the PCM-D50.  It's unknown why Sony would recommend against the Pro Duo.

The Pro Duo costs about $65 for a 4GB stick.  The 4GB HG Pro Duo costs $95.

Flintstone
Thank you, I was looking at the data rates and Pro Duo can handle DVD video writing, so I was confident it would work with just the audio write.  Thanks again for the info!
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #181 on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »
I had a problem with the "high speed" and ordinary pro duo memory on the D1.  The 4GB pro memory sticks and pro duo with adapter (both Sony and SanDisk) worked fine at 24/96 in the D1 in spite of the warnings that you needed "high speed" versions, and I was hoping the 8GB pro duo would work too.  It does not, or at least not beyond the first 3.8 GB or so (it shows up in the D1 and records as roughly a 3.8 GB card, though in my computer I can get a full 8GB onto it). So I suspect that for longer record times we'll have to wait for the 8GB HG pro duo cards (due early next year).

Jeff

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2007, 09:56:51 AM »
Not sure if these 8Gb will require a ROM update since the manual only shows up to 4Gb on the media charts.  I bought a cheap 8Gb Pro Duo at Best Buy this weekend but took it back and ordered the $100 4Gb HG Pro Duo at Best Buy instead.  Memory stick online charts only show the HG as working, which is suspect until someone can offer proof otherwise for the D50.  I should have my D50 on Tuesday according to UPS shipping tracking. 

Here's the online Memory Stick charts:
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline finao1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recorded sax with success
« Reply #183 on: November 25, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
Used the PCM-50 to record some saxaphone this weekend. I was very happy with the quality feeding the line-in. I did do a cut with the built in mics, and was fairly impressed with the results. I'm feeling that the internals may be more usefull than my initial impression. I also did some cuts feeding the Sony and the R-09 concurrently. I will be home tonight and will try to compare cuts.

BP

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #184 on: November 25, 2007, 12:56:38 PM »
I forgot to mention. I went to B&H in NY on Friday morning. The sales rep said that they ordered 500 and got in 20. 10 were presold and the other 10 went quick. He did not know when the next shipment was coming. I'm glad I got mine early.

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Recorded sax with success
« Reply #185 on: November 25, 2007, 01:22:04 PM »
Used the PCM-50 to record some saxaphone this weekend. I was very happy with the quality feeding the line-in. I did do a cut with the built in mics, and was fairly impressed with the results. I'm feeling that the internals may be more usefull than my initial impression. I also did some cuts feeding the Sony and the R-09 concurrently. I will be home tonight and will try to compare cuts.

BP

Finao, I am really interested in this recorder, and your posts are super helpful! Thanks a lot!
sp c4s mixpre sony pcm-d50

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #186 on: November 25, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »
+T finao1.  I'd like to hear that Line-In Comp between the R09 and the D50.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: November 25, 2007, 09:32:47 PM »
Anyone know if this thing is actually available anywhere right now?  I would cancel my B&H order if I could find one somewhere else.

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #188 on: November 25, 2007, 10:10:13 PM »
+T finao1.  I'd like to hear that Line-In Comp between the R09 and the D50.

I will pull the trigger and order one, if there are any available ... This seems to be a real upgrade from my rather big and heavy 16-bit pmd670.

Finao1: since you own both the R9 and the Sony, could you check if the thread for the tripod is the same size in both recorders, since I would rather use this instead:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437114-REG/Edirol_Roland_OP_R09M_OP_R09M_Microphone_Stand.html

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
Quick comparison
« Reply #189 on: November 25, 2007, 10:49:56 PM »
Finally got home (after what turned to be a 17 hour drive).  I took  cuts of saxophone played by my 14 year old nephew.  Both files were recorded concurrently from a Rode NT3 mic into a Sound Devices 302 mixer, fed concurrently to an Edirol R-09 and a Sony PCM-D50 (both using line in).  Sorry for such a small sample. It is tough to stay within the attachment 512k size allowance.  Levels are within .5db of each other.  File is short cut from each 192 mp3.  First is the R-09, second is the Sony.  Personally, after listening to both (with much longer cuts), I think its splitting hairs between the two using line in.  I do like the ease of use with the d50.  Setting levels with the SD 302 is so easy.  The D50 peak meters also have a digital peak readout.  So I can quickly set tone, turn the level wheel until I get -20 on the Sony, and I'm good to go.

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tripod thread
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2007, 10:53:27 PM »
There is no thread on the R09, I believe you need to buy the case.  The tripod thread on the PCM-D50 is standard (35mm camera type).

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
A fun sample with the internal microphones
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2007, 11:33:26 PM »
See, they're not so bad!

Converted to 128 mp3 to fit.

By the way, all original recordings were done 24 bit 48K.

BP

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Tripod thread
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2007, 11:43:12 PM »
The tripod thread on the PCM-D50 is standard (35mm camera type).
Thats even better. That way I could have the sony and a tiny tripod with me all the time, in case there is something interesting to record, and when I set out for serious recording, I would pack the whole bag with the mixpre, the studio projects, stereo bars, windscreen etc. Again, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences ...

Offline udo

• Taperssection Regular
Re: A fun sample with the internal microphones
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2007, 11:50:15 PM »
See, they're not so bad!

Btw, your nephew is doing a nice job there! I think the internals sound pretty good. You can hear the difference to the Rode Nt3/SD 302, though, with the bass response. On the Nt3 recordings the slight thumping of the sax keys is a nice effect, that makes the instrument more physical. But for my purpose as having the sony mics as a sort of "snapshot" tool it seems to be entirely sufficient.

Offline finao1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #194 on: November 26, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »
Thanks for your comments.  I think you have described the purpose/benefit of the internal mics.  It's great for a snapshot type of capture.  It will not be the absolute, but having it available to record family or friends without bringing the entire audio gear...could be priceless.

A few other comments re: the PCM-D50...I have only had one set of batteries in it since I got it Tuesday.  I recorded, sampled and played with the unit for at least two hours.  Last night, I left it on by accident, feeding the computer at the USB connection.  This morning (7 hours later) the battery is on low, but not giving any warning and powers up ready to record.  Battery life is going to be amazing.

BP

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com