Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-D  (Read 19291 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-D
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
Just for reference, does the MixPre-D use transformers, or no? I was a little confused when you said something about it before.

mixpre family = yes
usbpre family = no
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
Just for reference, does the MixPre-D use transformers, or no? I was a little confused when you said something about it before.

mixpre family = yes
usbpre family = no

so, what about the usbpre? Sorry, haven't had time to browse those threads, but will tomorrow morning while the wifey is at work :)
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

mixpre family = yes
usbpre family = no

so, what about the usbpre? Sorry, haven't had time to browse those threads, but will tomorrow morning while the wifey is at work :)

it does not have transformers.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 09:29:32 AM »
I think you should make sure that it clear we are talking about the USBPre2 and the Mixpre-D.  Not to be confused with the USBPre (v1.5) or the regular mixpre.  They both are completely different animal. The USBPre is not able to do standalone, is bus powered and requires interface with drivers on computer.  I am pretty sure it does not have transformers either fwiw.  And the Mixpre does not have any digital output but does have transformer topology.  Then there is the MP-2 which preceded the Mixpre, also no digital w/transformers and has a M/S function.  It is easy to end up confusing them by dropping off a letter or number 8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:50:53 AM by kirkd »

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 10:57:58 AM »
I think you should make sure that it clear we are talking about the USBPre2 and the Mixpre-D.  Not to be confused with the USBPre (v1.5) or the regular mixpre.  THey both are completely different animal. The USBPre is not able to do standalone, is bus powered and requires interface with drivers on computer.  I am pretty sure it does not have transformers either fwiw.  And the Mixpre does not have any digital output but does have transformer topology.  Then there is the MP-2 which preceded the Mixpre, also no digital w/transformes and has a M/S function.  It is east to end up confusing them by dropping off a letter or number 8)

(And then there's the Aereco MP-2.. j/k)

thanks for the clarification. I ran the Sound Devices MP-2 with AKG 451eb+ck1. The 451eb are known to have a bit of a high bump (iirc, because when used for analog recording, the tapes rolled off some of the highs, so people asked for a little more presence in the highs). now that we have lossy digital recording, AKG made the 460s. a bit later the 480s were made. I'm thinking the MixPre-D will be similar to the MP-2, and since I thought maybe the MP-2/451eb combo was a little *too* high, so I'm thinking the MixPre-D + 460s will be nice.

page, that MixPre-D thread is great! for anyone that hasn't read it yet that's interested in the MixPre-D, head there first!

I'd like to hear some samples if possible!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:09:14 AM by eclark »

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
got my unit in the mail on Friday and love it so far! it's such an awesome device! here are some pictures when I took it out of the box

http://fileslap.com/86h/Untitled (5 images here)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 12:25:11 AM »
Nice pics. Looks like a solid preamp :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
regarding the Voltage disceprency, I emailed Sweetwater and they emailed Sound Devices, here is the response from Sweetwater,

Hey Emery,

Got an answer directly from Sound Devices!

10-17 V is the correct spec. The images on the website are of prototype units that had a different labeling and the "10 to 18" that is stated in the user guide on page 9 is a misprint that should read "10 to 17". The voltage range of 10-17 V that is listed in the specs on the product web page and in the specifications section of the user guide, is correct.

Regards,

Nic Stage

Hope this helps.

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:41:43 AM »
Hope this is not a dumb question, but is it possible to run this: Mics > mixpre-D > USB to a tablet (with USB) running Android? And hit record?
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

kirk97132

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »
Hope this is not a dumb question, but is it possible to run this: Mics > mixpre-D > USB to a tablet (with USB) running Android? And hit record?
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpre-d.htm#
"24-bit, class-compliant USB streaming output for interconnection with Mac OS, Windows, Linux, and select iOS devices"

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpre-d.htm#
"24-bit, class-compliant USB streaming output for interconnection with Mac OS, Windows, Linux, and select iOS devices"

Great!
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
Sorry for the newbie's questions:

- How I can connect the MixPre-D to my Sony M-10?
- I suppose I can connect my Schoeps CMR's to the MIXPre using the Naiant PFA Phantom power adaptor
- Is the set up worth the money?

Thanks in advance, Mauro from Italy
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
Hi Mauro!

Have you considered the usb2? >>> http://sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm
Slightly larger than the mixpre-d but if you're going from RCA or XLR to 1/8" to connect to the  sony m10, you may want to consider saving the money since transformers may not be necessary.

I would consider the mixpred if I had equipment that could use the AES output from the pre-amp.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline heehaw

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
How about battery life of the mixpre-D compared to the old one ?
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »
Sound Devices mixpre-d Results:

I recorded 2 shows with it in a small rig profile. What I found is 2 AA will not last 2 hours running phantom 48. Basically you would need to change batteries about 90 minutes or so with phantom on. After an hour the light would flash then would go completely dead between 1:30 - 1:40 with phantom on. The XLR outputs are side mounted which means you need a special cables stubbie or right angle to fit it in a small pack.

Battery Solution: run teckeon 3450. Had ted build me a custom cable for it - hosa 4 pin to teckeon 3450 connector.

Build quality:
The unit is built like a tank you could probably throw it against the wall and it would still work. Had a lot of functions WE as tapers like. It is small and not as light as a Naiant LB. I ran XLR inputs into the SD mixpre-d with oututs both XLR and 1/8 inch stereo.

Sound:
The sound is very neutral. No coloration as far as I can tell. The bass is very controlled with DPA40XX series mics. Say more hi end even though mids are very nice and come thru strong. So a very nice sounding  neutral preamp with many nice options for tapers. You could not run this on double A batteries for a long set or even a long festival without a different power source. Ran the  teckeon 3450 with the mixpre for 2.5 hours and it went down one bar. Not much thou the pre does like to be power hungry with the phantom on. I did not run it with phantom off so can not report on that.

Test Gear:
DPA4060 -> SD mixpre-D -> sony m10 (Home tests)
DPA4060 -> SD mixpre-D -> edirolhr09 (Home tests)
DPA4022 -> SD mixpre-D -> edirolhr09 (2 recordings Informants at Boulder band shell and TTB at RR 2012 both at LL)

PS: Also, commented in the Sony m10 thread that there is a difference in sound between recording with the Sony m10 and edirolhr09. Not sure on final conclusions about the difference in sound thou was surpirsed they sounded very different so your recorder does add color at least to some extent. Maybe not as much as any other piece in the chain thou it still adds somethings which is sort of counter intuitive to the way I was thinking...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 01:53:01 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com