Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Omnis and Asymetrical P.A.'s  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Marc Nutter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Sonic Sense, Inc.
Omnis and Asymetrical P.A.'s
« on: June 11, 2003, 04:47:46 PM »
HI All,

I just made a fun recording that I wanted to share.

We taped Yonder Mountain String Band at the Mishawaka Amphitheater above Ft. Collins, CO  last weekend, June 7 and 8, 2003.

On the second day, we ran Microtech Gefell m296 omnis (which spend too much time in my closet).  As the stage is not parallel to front of house, and the taping section is at the bottom of a ledge in the heart of a walkway that is parallel to FOH, we had to get a bit creative.  With the mics spread and safely placed about 4 feet apart on a line across FOH, the left microphone was effectively a little over 1 foot closer to the left side of the P.A. than the right mic was to the right side of the P.A.

While I wasn't sure how well it would work, we could see the offset of arrivals between channels in Wavelab. Using the nudge tool, I delayed the left channel about 1.13mS (to align with common information in the other channel) and heard a noticeable improvement in mid range presence--The banjo and mandolin became considerably clearer.

While it wouldn’t be advisable to do this with any near-coincident pair of mics, and would not likely be necessary with a widely spaced pair of mics due to the likely level offset over distance, it worked nicely in this application.  

Getting back to using omnis was a ton of fun and made for some interesting reminders:
Omnis provide a big, full, spacious and very natural sound.
Spacing microphones (even omnis) too far reduces the center image that is captured by a near-coincident pair of mics.

For those interested, we have these shows, including the first day on Schoeps cmc6/mk.4v’s, on our website for the weekly download.   http://www.sonicsense.com/downloads.htm

Happy Recording Everybody,

Marc

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Omnis and Asymetrical P.A.'s
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 06:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the info marc.  How do the 296's compare with the m27 caps?  Also, if you could e-mail me your best price on an m21 capsule, that would be great.  I still need one, but want to find a good deal first!

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com