Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 2000mah NiMH batteries (modsbm1 and m1)  (Read 7992 times)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
Re: 2000mah NiMH batteries (modsbm1 and m1)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 02:17:45 PM »
i have said it before, i think even in this thread, but...

those powerex batteries i bought, and the charger (car and plug) that is linked above - which is the one i have, too - are terrific. i bought it all online from maha energy, and i will do business with them again, when and if i need any more battery power stuff...

Along with the Powerex cells, I also have some Energizer 2000's and 2500's, they seem to keep right up with the performance of the Powerex cells IF I use the Maha charger.  When I used the Energizer charger, or the Rat-Shack charger (looks identical, probably the same manufacturer, different color + sticker) they didn't reach their full potential.  It seems that the key is having a good charger. 
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 06:12:29 PM »
Thanks for all the good info guys. Just ordered the PoweEx AA 2500 batteries and the PowerEx MH-C401FS charger from Thomas Distributing. Also picked up some some PowerEx AAAs for our baby monitor - that thing really eats batteries!
Brothers

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 06:36:47 PM »
steve, I don't think that the baby should be eating batteries

;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 06:38:25 PM »
steve, I don't think that the baby should be eating batteries

;)
I hear ya. You should see the dirty diapers after she does.

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2005, 11:59:38 PM »
so...my question.....when buying the MAHA charger...i can get it with 4 AA Powerex 2300mAh or 4 AA Energizer 2500mAH (for $3 mroe than powerex). which one should i choose? will it make any difference at all really?
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 12:29:06 AM »
so...my question.....when buying the MAHA charger...i can get it with 4 AA Powerex 2300mAh or 4 AA Energizer 2500mAH (for $3 mroe than powerex). which one should i choose? will it make any difference at all really?

I think the big difference with the Maha gear is in the chargers - I've used Powerex, Energizer, and Radio Shack cells and they all perform reasonably the same when using the Maha charger.  But when I've used the RS or Energizer charger... :sick:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2005, 01:54:52 AM »

I think the big difference with the Maha gear is in the chargers - I've used Powerex, Energizer, and Radio Shack cells and they all perform reasonably the same when using the Maha charger.  But when I've used the RS or Energizer charger... :sick:
pretty much what i thought. so would going from 2300 to 2500mAh make a decent if any difference? it's $3 so whatever i might as well (as long as the energizers are on par w/ the powerexs)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »
Good info here folks, thank you!

So, if I get the MAHA recommended charger above, and the 2500 mah batteries, how long should it run a mod SBM-1 for? How long do the batteries truly last, say compared to energizer ultra batteries? I would love to go rechargeable, but would hate to lose a mission critical recording because the SBM dies. Are the batteries VERY reliable? All input appreciated!

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 01:03:43 PM »
Good info here folks, thank you!

So, if I get the MAHA recommended charger above, and the 2500 mah batteries, how long should it run a mod SBM-1 for? How long do the batteries truly last, say compared to energizer ultra batteries? I would love to go rechargeable, but would hate to lose a mission critical recording because the SBM dies. Are the batteries VERY reliable? All input appreciated!

I bought the MAHA charger based on this thread and with energizer 2500 mah batteries my mod SBM-1 is running 5 hours @ 4 bars.  I feel very confident about them not failing but I still carry extras because crap happens.
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2005, 06:46:53 PM »
got the maha charger and 2300 mah powerex and the things last forever. 4 hours in the mp2 and no problems. hell, even my 2000 mah "digital" brand batteries ($5 for 4 at big lots) are lasting 3 hours+ when i use them with the maha charger

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »
OK,

So I got the Maha 204W (new model) charger, and some Energizer 2500 mah batteries. Here is what I have found so far:

1. On a full charge I get 2:50 to 3:15 with 4 lights on my Mod SBM-1. I then get at least 2 more hours on 3 lights. I have been seeing around 6 hours until it shuts off.

2. I bought the newer charger, because it was stated in a PCphoto magazine review that it has a better charging/conditioning algorithm. I also bought the energizer batteries, beause another review shows them to be a tiny bit stronger than the Maha cells.

3. The included Lenmar batteries lick butt! The performace sucks compared to the energizers.

Now my questions are:

1. Should I feel VERY comfortable about the reliability of these over the long term? (brining a backup set does not do me well, as I do not want a cut in the middle of a mission critical recording).

2. When you folks use these batteries, how long will they keep a full charge for?  (i.e. is it OK to let them sit more than say 72 hours without losing significant power?) Or, should I always charge them the night before a recording?

3. Are these safe to use in ANY device that takes AA batteries? I wonder if the current draw is different than an alkaline battery, where noise might be added if used in my D-8 or PSP-2 preamp.

4. If I am not "reconditioning" the batteries, should I pull them right after the charger lights become green? Or, will I get a bit more juice out of the charge by letting them sit for X amount of time extra?

Thanks again for the help!
 :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 04:47:48 PM by Since85 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com