Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MP-2 Phantom Power?  (Read 10393 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: MP-2 Phantom Power?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 04:10:15 PM »
just how are you plugging your battery box into the mp-2?

still wanna know how this is being done...does the battery box have xlr outs? that would be news to me.

I thought most bat boxes had 1/8" stereo out. where do you plug a 1/8" into the mp2...into the tape return?  ???

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=26548.msg332465#msg332465

thanks...but that appears to be speculation at this point..i wanna KNOW    :P
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 04:14:53 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 04:11:53 PM »

still wanna know how this is being done...does the battery box have xlr outs? that would be news to me.

I thought most bat boxes had 1/8" stereo out. where do you plug a 1/8" into the mp2...into the tape return?  ???

thanks...but that appears to be speculation at this point..i wanna KNOW

you could add gain with the mp2 w/o phantom. i'm pretty sure you could.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 04:23:24 PM »
if you go tape return does it add gain?

Offline arawak420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • We Are Creatures Of Love, & Victims Of Hate
    • Arawak420 Live Music List
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2004, 03:00:27 PM »
"he wasnt, because the phantom wouldnt go through the dual xlr > 1/8" mini cable" actually it does run on phantom power i dont like the phantom though cause it takes away from the fullness of the recording. there isn't any bass in the phantom design.

i pluged my mics directly into the female 1/8" mini> dual xlr and ran phantom.
i'll use my batt box from now on. yes the Sonic DSM-6s do and can run on phantom.

i ran phantom during one set, and the batteries drianed 1 hour 40 minutes. i was able to get the whole set, but it's not listenable or tradeable lots of distortion,static and hiss.

if you have mp-2 and can power the mics with their own power supply i suggest one does so for a nice full, warm recording.

phantom offers no bass what so ever. im a STRICTLY ROOTS MON taper. so i need the actuall bass not lots of high like one gets with phantom power. plus it ran my batteries dead, and gave me a shitty recording. turn phantom off= warm bass, and fullness

one more thing the level LIGHTS on the mp-2 do not actually turn all the way off. i noticed this when the evening sets came around. all the way off and you could still see the levels banging.

good LUCK, one love, and keep taping.

JAH BLESS THE TAPERS.
Ites
http://www.phishhook.com/lists/arawak420

Sonic Studios DSM-6s/EL- >PA-6 -> NeurosHD II

"until the colour of a mans skin is no more significant than the colour of his eyes,everywhere is war."
Haile Selassie I

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2004, 03:13:00 PM »
phantom has nothing to do with bass.  the problem you are describing is mics not getting the correct amount of power...which is very likely because you were trying to power mics wired for batt box power with a full 48V.  distortion and hiss are the results.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2004, 03:26:09 PM »
phantom offers no bass what so ever. im a STRICTLY ROOTS MON taper.

Are you sure you're not flipping the HPF switch? I gots plenty 'o bass mon!

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2004, 03:27:58 PM »
>>i pluged my mics directly into the female 1/8" mini> dual xlr and ran phantom.

i would strongly advise you switch off phantom on your mp2, because you're shorting pin 3 in the 1/8" mini.  

hence, you're not providing phantom power to the mics.

marc

"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2004, 03:31:57 PM »
>>i pluged my mics directly into the female 1/8" mini> dual xlr and ran phantom.

i would strongly advise you switch off phantom on your mp2, because you're shorting pin 3 in the 1/8" mini.  

marc

which is concurrent with why your tape sounds like shit...they are underpowered

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2004, 03:44:39 PM »
"he wasnt, because the phantom wouldnt go through the dual xlr > 1/8" mini cable" actually it does run on phantom power i dont like the phantom though cause it takes away from the fullness of the recording. there isn't any bass in the phantom design.

i pluged my mics directly into the female 1/8" mini> dual xlr and ran phantom.
i'll use my batt box from now on. yes the Sonic DSM-6s do and can run on phantom.

i ran phantom during one set, and the batteries drianed 1 hour 40 minutes. i was able to get the whole set, but it's not listenable or tradeable lots of distortion,static and hiss.

if you have mp-2 and can power the mics with their own power supply i suggest one does so for a nice full, warm recording.

phantom offers no bass what so ever. im a STRICTLY ROOTS MON taper. so i need the actuall bass not lots of high like one gets with phantom power. plus it ran my batteries dead, and gave me a shitty recording. turn phantom off= warm bass, and fullness

one more thing the level LIGHTS on the mp-2 do not actually turn all the way off. i noticed this when the evening sets came around. all the way off and you could still see the levels banging.

good LUCK, one love, and keep taping.

JAH BLESS THE TAPERS.
Ites

I'm sorry for being an asshole, but you are now banned from talking about things you know nothing about.  Not to be arrogant either, but even I wouldn't make such inferences, especially when 5 people have told you "phantom doesn't work with 1/8" connectors," and "don't use phantom with a battery box."

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2004, 11:53:07 AM »
you are now banned from talking about things you know nothing about.

+T...LMAO

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline arawak420

• Taperssection Regular
  • We Are Creatures Of Love, & Victims Of Hate
    • Arawak420 Live Music List
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »

my batt box does have a male 1/8" mini plug out. plug my mics into the batt box, and the male 1/8" off the batt box into the female 1/8">dual xlr.  i made the female 1/8"->dual xlr.

"phantom has nothing to do with bass.  the problem you are describing is mics not getting the correct amount of power...which is very likely because you were trying to power mics wired for batt box power with a full 48V.  distortion and hiss are the results."

i did have the filter set on 80hz w/ the phantom running (cut the bass more than i wanted). i got a couple good sets, but one set that ran 1 hour 40 minutes sounded like static,distortion, and hiss cause the batteries started dieing. mics run on phantom fine. it just drains the hell out of my machine, and when it drains the machine the recording is gawd awful.

"I'm sorry for being an asshole, but you are now banned from talking about things you know nothing about.  Not to be arrogant either, but even I wouldn't make such inferences, especially when 5 people have told you "phantom doesn't work with 1/8" connectors," and "don't use phantom with a battery box."

i have the fucking machine right here in my face JAYGO. yes it does run on phantom w/ my 1/8" female mini to dual xlrs. makes nice recordings until the batteries start to take a dive. so don't try to tell me something when i have the machine and have been through several sets of recordings with it.

marc

im shorting pin 3? how is this? pin 1 is grounded, and pins 2 is left and pin 3 is right or vice versa for 2 and 3. i don't notice anything shorting out. 1 of the 3 recordings i got came out like shit, cause the batteries didnt hold out.

supa crispy  I MEAN CRISPY TO. SO NICE recordings with the phantom,but man when those batteries get low its all over but the crying. i can send you guys copies of the Morgan Heritage set and the Junior Reid, plus you can get a chance to hear how sweet this stealth system really is.

Im gonna run the batt box from now on to save battery life and get a warmer, fuller sound. trial by error.
http://www.phishhook.com/lists/arawak420

Sonic Studios DSM-6s/EL- >PA-6 -> NeurosHD II

"until the colour of a mans skin is no more significant than the colour of his eyes,everywhere is war."
Haile Selassie I

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2004, 12:40:59 PM »
why not just power the mp-2 with a sla, and cut the batt box out of the chain?  small sig, small sig, small sig, small sig, mon
we all live downstream.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2004, 02:34:43 PM »

my batt box does have a male 1/8" mini plug out. plug my mics into the batt box, and the male 1/8" off the batt box into the female 1/8">dual xlr.  i made the female 1/8"->dual xlr.

"phantom has nothing to do with bass.  the problem you are describing is mics not getting the correct amount of power...which is very likely because you were trying to power mics wired for batt box power with a full 48V.  distortion and hiss are the results."

i did have the filter set on 80hz w/ the phantom running (cut the bass more than i wanted). i got a couple good sets, but one set that ran 1 hour 40 minutes sounded like static,distortion, and hiss cause the batteries started dieing. mics run on phantom fine. it just drains the hell out of my machine, and when it drains the machine the recording is gawd awful.

"I'm sorry for being an asshole, but you are now banned from talking about things you know nothing about.  Not to be arrogant either, but even I wouldn't make such inferences, especially when 5 people have told you "phantom doesn't work with 1/8" connectors," and "don't use phantom with a battery box."

i have the fucking machine right here in my face JAYGO. yes it does run on phantom w/ my 1/8" female mini to dual xlrs. makes nice recordings until the batteries start to take a dive. so don't try to tell me something when i have the machine and have been through several sets of recordings with it.

marc

im shorting pin 3? how is this? pin 1 is grounded, and pins 2 is left and pin 3 is right or vice versa for 2 and 3. i don't notice anything shorting out. 1 of the 3 recordings i got came out like shit, cause the batteries didnt hold out.

supa crispy  I MEAN CRISPY TO. SO NICE recordings with the phantom,but man when those batteries get low its all over but the crying. i can send you guys copies of the Morgan Heritage set and the Junior Reid, plus you can get a chance to hear how sweet this stealth system really is.

Im gonna run the batt box from now on to save battery life and get a warmer, fuller sound. trial by error.

you have problems

jpschust

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »
schwill, i think that pretty much has been evidenced by his signature, didnt take much more.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2004, 03:14:05 AM »
this guy just doesn't want to listen, does he?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com