Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External battery pack for MT2496?  (Read 51124 times)

Online Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: External battery pack for MT2496?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2005, 02:58:35 PM »
success

i used my BBP VR-Box that has 5v and 6v output and a 9v lithium "wal-mart" battery.

and hacked a mini usb cable i had going unused, and slapped a 4pin xlr on it

the mt shows the unit is charging

and here the combo also using the 6v out so i can also power my mp-2 or V2

great for open taping, but i am going to try to make a smaller version only for the microtrack like the sucrets box above. instead of using 9v batteries though, i think i will try to use 4 "AA" batteries (6v) so there is not much of a step down to the 5v required by the mt. i think it will save some battery power and also less heat
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Online Chris K

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 05:12:24 PM »
i made a smaller pack like the sucrets model on page 2.

i used an altoids tin, a 4 X AA battery holder ($1.69 at radio shack), the 7508 5V regulator ($1.59 at radio shack), and a mini usb cable (hacked) that i had lying around. the AA holder barely fit in the tin. i used a bit of cardboard on the bottom of the tin & some electrical tape on the solder board to prevent conductivity. i decided to hack a cable and hard wire it instead of using a panel mount usb connector, as i wanted to keep the cabling short. a little hot glue  was used to keep the wires intact and to secure the usb cable, and i drilled some small ventilation holes to (hopefully) dissipate heat buildup inside the tin. with this and the bbvr box in the post above, i think i have all bases covered.

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline bagtagsell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2005, 09:02:38 PM »
well done.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2005, 12:10:58 AM »
i used an altoids tin, a 4 X AA battery holder ($1.69 at radio shack), the 7508 5V regulator ($1.59 at radio shack), and a mini usb cable (hacked) that i had lying around.

I assume you mean 7805, not 7508?  Have you tested, yet?  Any problems running without a heat sink?  Do the 4 x AAs provide enough voltage for the 7805 to function properly?  I vaguely recall the 7805 needs +2v > the output voltage to function properly, but I could be mistaken.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2005, 10:20:52 AM »
I tested (livingroom) the record time of my new stealth rig with the following conditions:
DPA4061>MMA6000>MT2496
MMA6000 powered by 1 energizer 9v 150 mAh rechargable Ni-MH with gain set at 20db
MT(fully charged) with the http://www.bixnet.com/usbbatterybox.html USB 5v (4 AA) box using energizer 2400 mAh AA rechargable Ni-MH with recording settings set to Monitor(off), BitRate 16 bit, Sample Rate 44.1 kHz Format MP3 (Used this resolution to ensure it had enough room on 2GB Lexar 80X card to run until it died) it showed initial available recording time as 36 hours or so.
I shut it down this morning after it was at 9 hours.Will run until it dies tonight unless I actually go use it to record at a local coffee house.
When I unplugged the aux power the MT battery indicator showed half full. The gain of the recording was still up at the end and the green light on the MMA6000 was still flashing, indicating it was still providing adequate power.

ymmv

Vince

DPA4061>MMA6000>MT-I 2496
AKG CK91>SE 300 B>opti-V3>Oade BCM PMD671

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2005, 10:28:15 AM »
the green light on the MMA6000 was still flashing, indicating it was still providing adequate power.

Just FYI, I find that the MMA6000 will run about 24 hours on a standard 9V.  The exact time doesn't matter, because you will get about 3 hours more while the red light is flashing, so even if it reaches the point where the red is flashing in the middle of a concert, you're probably going to be okay.

Jeff

Offline vince

• What goes here?
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 10:51:18 AM »
the green light on the MMA6000 was still flashing, indicating it was still providing adequate power.

Just FYI, I find that the MMA6000 will run about 24 hours on a standard 9V.  The exact time doesn't matter, because you will get about 3 hours more while the red light is flashing, so even if it reaches the point where the red is flashing in the middle of a concert, you're probably going to be okay.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...now that you mention it, I recall reading the 24 hour thing. I just wonder how the rechargable compares to the regular 9v. I don't think this would be a weak link at all. I am just trying the cheapest solutions for the MT first to see if I want to go the big lithium battery route with a juicebox or something like it to power them both. I think this little set up will work fine for me.
NOW all I have to do is practice shoving all this shit down my pants. ;D

DPA4061>MMA6000>MT-I 2496
AKG CK91>SE 300 B>opti-V3>Oade BCM PMD671

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005, 05:18:24 AM »
Just a note on the Altiods/Sucrets/DIY versions. If you use two 9 volt batteries, run them in parallel to keep voltage ~9. In series, you will be giving your regulator 18v and making it drop 13v to get your 5v out! Most of your battery juice would then end up as heat emanating from the regulator.

Also, and I forget where I read this so judge my credibility accordingly, the fixed regulator IC's like 7805 and 7812 are supposedly much noisier than the adjustable ones like LM317.  Power supply noise can be a big deal (and probably accounts for a lot of the MT's own noise). Possibly not in this case though, as it's an external supply and battery only (hence no AC or rectification etc.), but just something to be aware of. LM317 is a bit harder to implement as well, requiring an extra resistor and fiddling to get your exact output voltage.

G'night!

Sanaka

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2005, 11:31:33 AM »
Also, and I forget where I read this so judge my credibility accordingly, the fixed regulator IC's like 7805 and 7812 are supposedly much noisier than the adjustable ones like LM317.  Power supply noise can be a big deal (and probably accounts for a lot of the MT's own noise). Possibly not in this case though, as it's an external supply and battery only (hence no AC or rectification etc.), but just something to be aware of. LM317 is a bit harder to implement as well, requiring an extra resistor and fiddling to get your exact output voltage.

interesting.  a noisy power solution probably only matters for people who are planning to run analog into the unit.  for those of us running S/PDIF into the unit, whether or not the power supply is noisy, as long as it records the ones and zeroes, that's all that matters :)

J.T.L

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 09:22:45 PM »
...please excuse my ignorance but am I correct in thinking...

6 V SLA battery > 7805 5V regulator > USB (MT2496 or M-Audio MobilePre)

...just wondering, I'm trying to power my friends MobilePre USB using my 6V and this seemed like a good thread to ask.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2005, 09:49:52 PM »
itsb best to have at least a 2v minimum inbetween the original power source and the ending voltage

I run 7.2v>5v regulator in my VRBox because 6v's were not even an option

but lightweight 7.2v NIMH packs work great
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Online Chris K

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2005, 10:20:45 PM »
itsb best to have at least a 2v minimum inbetween the original power source and the ending voltage

why?

-Elvis Presley

J.T.L

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:47 AM »

why?

...I think it is because the 7805 needs at least 2v headroom for the regulation to kick in (read from another forum) but please correct me if i'm wrong.

Online Chris K

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2005, 10:35:36 AM »

why?

...I think it is because the 7805 needs at least 2v headroom for the regulation to kick in (read from another forum) but please correct me if i'm wrong.

source?

-Elvis Presley

cmoorevt

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2005, 11:44:53 AM »
Yes it is Len, but.....

post #1:

http://www.solorb.com/dat-heads/digests/V5.800/D868

-or-

Google: "7805 minimum input voltage"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 12:03:42 PM by cmoorevt »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com