Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO: Flip Ultra HD video to DVD help  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
ISO: Flip Ultra HD video to DVD help
« on: January 04, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »
I'm trying to make some DVD's. I have a 4 videos that I'd like to combine into a DVD. They came from an Flip Ultra HD video camera which records 720p HD at 30 frames per second in .mp4 format. I am using Ableton Live to replace the cam audio with my tape. Live only deals with .mov files, so I have to convert mp4>mov in a free converter I grabbed to replace the audio. When I watch the mov after the conversion, there is no detectable difference to my eye. So then I load it into Live, replace the audio, and export it as an mov with all the size & frame rate settings the same as the original video. However, when it comes out of Live, there is a slight but definite downgrade in 'smoothness' I guess. Edges look blockier, and the movement just seems jerkier than the original, which is pretty smooth. I'm wondering if it is a frame rate issue? It's still very watchable, but I hate to lose ANY quality in the conversion, I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

Here's a link to the encore on Vimeo -

http://www.vimeo.com/8503265

That is the original video, nothing done to it other than whatever Vimeo does during the upload.

So I guess my big question is what type of file/what settings should I export from Live to maintain the original quality?

Thanks!
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline Zeti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: ISO: Flip Ultra HD video to DVD help
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 02:34:04 AM »
Using Live 7, I was able to use the .MP4 file from a Flip Mino HD "straight up".

Regarding your situation: When exporting "Audio/Video" from the file menu, you will have the option to "Create Video File" in the menu box. You'll click that sucker on, choosing Quicktime Movie as your export file. Clicking the "Edit" button by "Encoder Settings" will open up a 3-section Quicktime Export window (this window comes up during any video editing export session using quicktime.)

The three parts are Video (With "Settings", Filter, and Size buttons), Audio, and Internet Streaming.

Video Settings:
I suggest using .h264 encoding. This is chosen under "Compression Type" drop-down. The other settings should be:
Frame Rate: Current, or having used that and gotten "choppy" video, try 29.97
Key Frames Every: Either 30 or Automatic. These just set points for the compressor to isolate chunks of video, and similar portions are grouped together. The smaller the number, the higher quality.
Compression: Medium to Best. Depends on your desired filesize.

Press OK and go to the "Size" button.
Choosing your size will be 1280x720 HD from the dropdown menu. You can also select "Current" which will usually work fine. DO NOT SELECT "De-interlace source video" since you are shooting in Progressive "30p"

Audio should be 32bit integer compression at 44.100 kHz and 16-bit.

Prepare for internet streaming is useful if you are uploading to your own personal site, not so much for video sites. I usually check it off.

Then click OK and wait till everything renders out. The h.264 codec is great for internet video since it is a supported codec by many.

Note that online sites will compress your video to 15fps maximum and usually around 1500-2500 kbps video quality max so your videos take a significant hit.

Offline fguidry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Kaleponi - Slack Key in California
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:52:49 PM »
I've had good luck using Avidemux to trim and replace audio on my Flip HD clips. For these kinds of tasks Avidemux works without transcoding the video which preserves all the quality of the original clip.

I did a blog post about it: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/06/10/audio-for-video-using-avidemux/

Fran

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 08:31:41 AM »
Awesome gentlemen, many thanks. Will dig into this a bit tonight.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com