Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need feedback on Audix M1255B-S (micro shotguns) ..come on people....someone ?  (Read 12898 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
> The supercardioid pattern is the technical term for “shotgun” mic.

That is simply incorrect. Anyone who would say that doesn't know what he's talking about, even if he is a nice, intelligent person who works for a company that sells pretty good microphones.

The shotgun principle CAN'T be shrunken down or miniaturized, since the entire effect of the interference tube depends on the wavelengths of the sounds that are being picked up. A 6" interference tube is too short to have any audible effect on low or midrange frequencies. It can only begin to narrow the microphone's pattern at ~2 - 3 - 4 kHz and above. That's too high to have any useful effect at typical recording distances for music.

That doesn't stop people from making and selling these microphones, though--AKG has had one in their catalog for a very long time (C 747--see attached photo). It's actually a pretty nice little microphone, but it's not a shotgun microphone despite its shape.

Abraham Lincoln is said to have asked, "How many legs does a dog have if you call its tail a leg?" The answer is four--because calling its tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. Same thing here.

--best regards

I agree with all this - of course - but just one thing.

If the definition of a "shotgun" mic. is a microphone with an interference tube on the front (which is what I would say the definition is), then the AKG and other similar microphones *are* shotgun mics.

HOWEVER

As DSatz says - the interference tube is so short as to give no meaningful extra directivity at the frequencies that you really need and the microphone directivity will therefore be the directivity of the capsule itself without the interference tube.  This normal capsule directivity is normally a hyper-cardioid or super-cardioid (though I know of one gun microphone that used an omni as the capsule).

So, in this instance, it would be better just to use a hyper-cardioid mic. as it will be smaller than these miniature "gun" microphones.

This is the polar-pattern of a small "gun" microphone.

You will see that at low frequencies it is a super-cardioid - at around 2-4 kHz I would say that is is worse than a super-cardioid and it only gets slightly more directional at the highest frequencies.

Offline igene

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection Member
just to play devil's advocate...

Wouldn't that "shotgun" pattern in the smaller size be good for concert recording.
If the higher freq. are getting more side and rear rejection (the only freq.s that can benefit from the short length) 
then you are getting clearer vocals on the recording, while at the other freq.s it acts more like a cardioid - which captures the rest of the freq's quite well.

"It can only begin to narrow the microphone's pattern at ~2 - 3 - 4 kHz and above"

I believe  2K is vocal range, and usually mics have difficulty picking out the vocals at greater distances.
(not all mics).

I just sayin'
Leela : ...what are we going to do ?
the Doctor : Should we try using our Intelligence ?
Leela : Well, if you think it's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.
the Doctor : Well, I do talk to myself sometimes, Yes...

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
just to play devil's advocate...

Wouldn't that "shotgun" pattern in the smaller size be good for concert recording.
If the higher freq. are getting more side and rear rejection (the only freq.s that can benefit from the short length) 
then you are getting clearer vocals on the recording, while at the other freq.s it acts more like a cardioid - which captures the rest of the freq's quite well.

"It can only begin to narrow the microphone's pattern at ~2 - 3 - 4 kHz and above"

I believe  2K is vocal range, and usually mics have difficulty picking out the vocals at greater distances.
(not all mics).

I just sayin'

If you look at the polar-pattern I posted  you will see that at many angles it actually gets *worse* and rear pick-up is more at some frequencoes and that nide dead angle of 120-degrees actually starts picking up.

It only gets more directional at very high frequencies and you pay for it with comb-filtering effect and worst pick-up at other angles.

And the pattern I posted is of quite a nice little "gun" mic. and not a cheapie.

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
Ok, let's say the rear pickup is not an issue,
(use a rear baffle) what about the forward pattern ?
Gallifreyan Guard : But you do have access to the greatest source of knowledge in the Universe.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
The response off-axis (to the sides and the rear) is always an issue for any practical use, and is a big contributor to the difference in the subjective sound of various mics which otherwise have an identical or very similar on-axis response.  A smooth respose off axis is always better.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline igene

• Taperssection Member
Fair enough.
a Better tool is always Better...!

like I said - Devil's advocate....I'm buying the hyper's.   (m1255HC)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com