Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC playback on iPod Touch?  (Read 32906 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
FLAC playback on iPod Touch?
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:08:37 PM »
I just sold a part of my soul to Steve Jobs and bought an iPod Touch.  I have no idea what I am getting myself into.  I just downloaded iTunes last night and was playing around with it a bit.  I hate it.

Anyway, I am wondering if the FLAC Player app for the iPod Touch works.  It's this one:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flac-player/id390532592?mt=8

Have any of you used it?  Are there other, better apps that will play FLAC?  An important question to me is whether all of the FLAC albums that I have will show up in one list like all of my mp3s, or whether I need to switch back and forth between lists to access the music libraries.  Also, how do I import FLACs into the iPod Touch?  iTunes would not recognize the FLAC files on my hard drive, but it did recognize the mp3s.  How do I get around this?  Must I use iTunes to put music onto the iPod or can I just drag and drop folders the way that I like to?

Any help would be great.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

nl

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: FLAC playback on iPod Touch?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:31:16 PM »
I use that app on my iPhone 4 and it works just fine. It sorts the FLACs into "collections" based on the tags and/or file names so before loading them, make sure they are tagged with at least the artist and album tags filled. If the tags are blank, it uses the file names to sort but that is a bit of a crap shoot with downloaded shows.

You do have to use iTunes to load the files onto your iPod. The instructions are on the developer's website: http://hammockdistrict.com/flacplayer-faqs/

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
I have this app on my iphone 4 as well and absolutely love it. You do have to use itunes to load files which kind of sucks, but the ability to play flac on my iphone made it infinitely more useful. I have also installed it on my older iphone 3. It runs but not as smoothly as on the 4.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:06 AM »
I have this app on my iphone 4 as well and absolutely love it. You do have to use itunes to load files which kind of sucks, but the ability to play flac on my iphone made it infinitely more useful. I have also installed it on my older iphone 3. It runs but not as smoothly as on the 4.

I was playing around the Internet last night and ran across this program called Songbird.  Can you use that to load FLAC files on iTunes?  What about Windows Media Player?  I have everything organized through WMP and it would be great if I could transfer the files onto iTunes that way.

Thanks for all of the input thus far!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

nl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 04:48:26 AM »
You don't need to load the FLAC files into the iTunes library at all. You just need to use iTunes to transfer the files directly from your HD via the app to the iPod. Once the files have been transferred to the iPod, you need to open the app on the iPod and then it sorts the FLACs into collections based on the tags or file names.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
What do you "hate" about iTunes? 

The advice here is good, but the lossless codec made by Apple is often overlooked; ALAC.  Also, where are you using your iPod?  Does it need to be FLAC?  Why not hi res AACs? 

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:31:54 AM »
What do you "hate" about iTunes? 

The advice here is good, but the lossless codec made by Apple is often overlooked; ALAC.  Also, where are you using your iPod?  Does it need to be FLAC?  Why not hi res AACs?

ALAC is overlooked because it's proprietary nonsense. It's functionality is completely trumped by this fact and for good reason.

Itunes is garbage because for so many reasons, most important being the moment you realize it lacks a feature or would prefer it to operate differently than it does, you're completely SOL. It's fine for your average user and I appreciate the ease with which it allows the average user to enjoy music, but it's most certainly not for power-users.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »
I appreciate the ease with which it [iTunes] allows the average user to enjoy music

I'm likely just revealing my ignorance here, but...

< rant on >

Ease?  Ease would be simply dragging & dropping my music files onto the iDevice using a file manager of some kind.  Instead, in order to put music onto my gf's new iSomethingorother, I had to:

• Install iTunes in the first place.
  • Populate the iTunes library.
  • Create a custom playlist in the correct place (apparently, after selecting the specific iSomethingorother onto which I wish to install the files).  Why do I need a playlist simply to transfer files?  A playlist is simply a list of music I want to listen to, why is it also a mechanism for copying files?  Maybe they should call it a PlayOrCopyList.
  • Populate the playlist.
  • Jump through several hoops I don't recall to get the playlist to sync (i.e. to actually copy the files onto the iDevice without doing anything else I didn't want iTunes to do.

Ugh.

< rant off >
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bobstammers

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 03:06:18 AM »
Not quite off topic, can this app stream FLAC to an iphone 3GS over wifi? If not does anyone one that does.

Many thanks.

Rob.
Mics        : Naiant AKG CK63 Actives, DPA 4061, SP-CMC-25, CA11c, CA11 IIo,CA14c, CA14o, CAFS, AT933 (4.7k)
Pre         : Tinybox, PIPSqueak, CA9100, Ugly II pre, CA Ugly II 3 wire pre
Batt Box : MM-CBM-Mini
Decks     : H340 rockboxed, R09HR, M10 x 2

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

Ease?  Ease would be simply dragging & dropping my music files onto the iDevice using a file manager of some kind.

I completely understand your frustration, Brian. There's a lot of elements to Itunes that are not easy including downloading a 70-100Mb program, installing, and configuring.

The ease I was referring to is primarily the Itunes store and the library sharing features. Not that Itunes exclusively offers these features, but they do make it very easy to browse and purchase new music or to listen to the music of a friend/coworker/etc over a local network. It's also possible to easily share a library over the internet using an application like Simplify Media; I haven't had much luck finding a program with similar functionality and ease of use with other media management software.

I don't personally use Itunes, but I do know the number of users that do use Itunes far outweighs the number of power-users like you and I that prefer a file manager. For those users, it's functionality serves them well and allows them to enjoy music, which I can appreciate.

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 12:59:17 PM »
I appreciate the ease with which it [iTunes] allows the average user to enjoy music

I'm likely just revealing my ignorance here, but...

< rant on >

Ease?  Ease would be simply dragging & dropping my music files onto the iDevice using a file manager of some kind.  Instead, in order to put music onto my gf's new iSomethingorother, I had to:

• Install iTunes in the first place.
  • Populate the iTunes library.
  • Create a custom playlist in the correct place (apparently, after selecting the specific iSomethingorother onto which I wish to install the files).  Why do I need a playlist simply to transfer files?  A playlist is simply a list of music I want to listen to, why is it also a mechanism for copying files?  Maybe they should call it a PlayOrCopyList.
  • Populate the playlist.
  • Jump through several hoops I don't recall to get the playlist to sync (i.e. to actually copy the files onto the iDevice without doing anything else I didn't want iTunes to do.

Ugh.

< rant off >

I personally think managing playlists is a pain in the ass, that's why I love iTunes.  I meet people who say they prefer drag and drop, and perhaps they do.  I walk them through a few minutes of what iTunes can do, and their opinion changes rapidly.  Granted, I run iTunes on a Mac.  I hear the experience on a PC is not as good. 

What I love about iTunes is the centralized repository for everything I have in terms of media.  When is comes to playlists, the real power is in smart playlists.  These are a set of criteria that automatically update based on changes to your library.  Those changes might include adding new music, changing meta-data such as star rating, recently played, never played, etc.  With proper tagging, which is a breeze these days, you can, in just a couple of clicks, find and create a playlist that is comprised of, for example, all of my live Clapton from the 70's, rated 3 stars or higher, and not played on the last month.  Done.  You simply cannot do that with a manually managed playlist.

Playlists also allow me to manage individual "iSomethingorothers".  So this playlist goes to my wife's iPod shuffle, these go to her iPhone, these to my iPhone, this one to my AppleTV, cause it's 24 bit, etc.  I don't know how it could be more simple. 

I think some people try to over think it.  Get out of the way, and it is an amazing application for what it is designed to do.  Do I wish it played FLAC, sure.  But fact of the matter is, I'm usually playing my iOS device in a less than perfect environment anyway (car, gym, airplane), so who cares.  I've got my FLACs on my hard drive, and play back 24 bit at home.  Again, my playlists can sync the lossy stuff to iPods, and leave the lossless to play locally.  And if you had to have them portable, you could always choose ALAC, Apple lossless compression file format.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I was genuinely interested in why the hatred.  Perhaps it is unfounded?  I don't understand how the download of 100MB is hard, installing/configuring is what, 6 clicks?  What am I missing?  Does Windows just make everything suck?  If anyone wants further iTunes info/tricks, let me know.

keytohwy

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 01:46:54 PM »
I don't understand how the download of 100MB is hard, installing/configuring is what, 6 clicks?  What am I missing?  Does Windows just make everything suck?

Windows has nothing to do with it, so not sure why you brought it up.  (Unless the iTunes version for Windows is so fundamentally different an flawed relative to the Mac version that this issue alone is what caused my frustration; but then, that's not really a Windows issue.)

It's not that it's "hard" to download and install the software.  The d/l and install was a breeze, obviously.  And while the configuration and utilization of iTunes was a PITA, that was a function of two things, one my issue, one Apple's:  my ignorance about how iTunes performs some very simple tasks, and the unintuitive way in which iTunes approaches some activities.

I completely understand that for a lot of people iTunes makes it "easy" to purchase and manage their media library, including "playlists" for multiple devices.  Honestly, I can't agree or disagree with that statement, since I don't use iTunes to manage my media library.  My intent was not to suggest that iTunes stinks at media library management.  I only intended to express my frustration with being forced to jump through Apple's hoops to perform one simple task.  None of the other features or functionality matter to me.  More power to the people who use and like the s/w.  (And I'm with you on using lossy formats for portable listening when top-notch sound quality doesn't really matter to me.)

The issue I was trying to highlight:  Apple took what should be a painfully simple task -- copying files from point A to point B -- and made a complete clusterfuck out of it.  It simply ought not be necessary to install software, configure it, and learn unintuitive processes to perform a simple task -- copying files from point A to point B -- that has nothing to do with iTunes' core features, i.e. purchasing media and media library management.

How hard would it have been to allow users to drag & drop files to and from their iDevices from any computer?  And what could possibly be easier?  If someone desired the more advanced features of iTunes, they're available, but to require the hoops I jumped through simply to copy files from point A to point B is just plain silly.  It's a pretty good example of Apple's general mentality:  "you'll do it our way or not do it at all (trust us, it just 'works'...even if it doesn't)".  Now, lest this turn into a Win v. Mac war (not my intent), Windows is completely stupid about plenty of things, as well, so let's not drag this discussion down that road.

(I recognize there may be reasons related to Apple's agreements with content providers and copyright holders that pushed them to so tightly control such a simple activity, but that's another discussion entirely.)
Roland R-05

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
I don't understand how the download of 100MB is hard, installing/configuring is what, 6 clicks?  What am I missing?  Does Windows just make everything suck?

Windows has nothing to do with it, so not sure why you brought it up.  (Unless the iTunes version for Windows is so fundamentally different an flawed relative to the Mac version that this issue alone is what caused my frustration; but then, that's not really a Windows issue.)

It's not that it's "hard" to download and install the software.  The d/l and install was a breeze, obviously.  And while the configuration and utilization of iTunes was a PITA, that was a function of two things, one my issue, one Apple's:  my ignorance about how iTunes performs some very simple tasks, and the unintuitive way in which iTunes approaches some activities.

I completely understand that for a lot of people iTunes makes it "easy" to purchase and manage their media library, including "playlists" for multiple devices.  Honestly, I can't agree or disagree with that statement, since I don't use iTunes to manage my media library.  My intent was not to suggest that iTunes stinks at media library management.  I only intended to express my frustration with being forced to jump through Apple's hoops to perform one simple task.  None of the other features or functionality matter to me.  More power to the people who use and like the s/w.  (And I'm with you on using lossy formats for portable listening when top-notch sound quality doesn't really matter to me.)

The issue I was trying to highlight:  Apple took what should be a painfully simple task -- copying files from point A to point B -- and made a complete clusterfuck out of it.  It simply ought not be necessary to install software, configure it, and learn unintuitive processes to perform a simple task -- copying files from point A to point B -- that has nothing to do with iTunes' core features, i.e. purchasing media and media library management.

How hard would it have been to allow users to drag & drop files to and from their iDevices from any computer?  And what could possibly be easier?  If someone desired the more advanced features of iTunes, they're available, but to require the hoops I jumped through simply to copy files from point A to point B is just plain silly.  It's a pretty good example of Apple's general mentality:  "you'll do it our way or not do it at all (trust us, it just 'works'...even if it doesn't)".  Now, lest this turn into a Win v. Mac war (not my intent), Windows is completely stupid about plenty of things, as well, so let's not drag this discussion down that road.

(I recognize there may be reasons related to Apple's agreements with content providers and copyright holders that pushed them to so tightly control such a simple activity, but that's another discussion entirely.)

I think Windows has something to do with it, actually.  I hear time and time again about Windows users frustrations with iTunes, calling it bloated, and a CPU hog.  From a UI perspective, they are nearly identical, though.

And actually, you *can* drag and drop media to your device.  Playlists are more fun, IMO, but copying point a to b is just as you say.  I just did it.

Apple definitely does take a different approach to things, but usually offers multiple choices to complete as task (drag and drop, v. playlist sync, for example).  But to my point, it becomes a PITA to remember to drag and drop all your newly added files, or update some of your other smart playlists.  Right?  Cause what is more simple than plugging in your iOS device and going about your OTHER business?  IMO, dragging and dropping media is not easier, but again, the choice is yours.

So, in general, I don't think it is a Windows issue, per se, but I often see users coming from the Windows world that have a hard time letting go of old habits.  They get in their own way of getting stuff done. 

I don't think this has to devolve in a platform debate, but a couple of times you've pointed that it may be your ignorance of iTunes that held you back, and from what I can see, I agree.  Perhaps your next iOS device will be a better experience.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
And actually, you *can* drag and drop media to your device.  Playlists are more fun, IMO, but copying point a to b is just as you say.  I just did it.

Without iTunes?  I searched far and wide trying to figure out how to do so, and came up empty.  Please share, as it's just a matter of time before my gf requests some new / different music for her iDevice.  (I'm not even sure what it is:  iPhone, iPod, etc.  Edit to add:  thinking about it more, she has both an iPhone and an audio player sized in between the iPod and Nano.)  For this purpose -- manually selecting music I think she'll like, which isn't particularly suited to advanced playlist functionality -- I find drag & drop is the way to go.

Even within iTunes, I'm curious as to how, so I don't have to dork around with playlists and ensuring I sync only the playlist containing the music I want to copy (and nothing else).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:41:02 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline keytohwy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 02:50:55 PM »

Without iTunes?  I searched far and wide trying to figure out how to do so, and came up empty.  Please share, as it's just a matter of time before my gf requests some new / different music for her iDevice.  (I'm not even sure what it is:  iPhone, iPod, etc.  Edit to add:  thinking about it more, she has both an iPhone and an audio player sized in between the iPod and Nano.)  For this purpose -- manually selecting music I think she'll like, which isn't particularly suited to advanced playlist functionality -- I find drag & drop is the way to go.

Even within iTunes, I'm curious as to how, so I don't have to dork around with playlists and ensuring I sync only the playlist containing the music I want to copy (and nothing else).

Nope, still gotta have iTunes. 

But in iTunes:
1)  Plug in her device.  It should show up under "Devices" in the left column.  Click on the Summary tab if not already highlighted, and then click on "Manually Manage Music and Videos".
2)  Go to your Library, at the top of the left column, and browse your media.  Select what you like and drag it onto the device icon.  It will copy those songs to that device, except if that device is already linked to another iTunes account.

While this link doesn't show drag and drop, it shows some of the other "hoops" one might want to jump through.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/#video-sync

HTH,
keytohwy

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com