Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Adding the PSP2 back in my rig  (Read 24422 times)

Offline TaperBryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time"
Re: Adding the PSP2 back in my rig
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
may have to look into those for future shows....not sure they'd be here before Fri.  I may just either run my normal rig w/out the psp2 until I can get attenuators (which kind do you guys suggest on those?) or run akg>psp2>dr-07 or akg>psp2>v3>dr-07/iRiver and just set the psp2 to -35 db for the mic sensitivity 0 gain and adjust levels on the v3.  If I recall...that seemed to work in the past.  Will try doing some trial level checks this week w/ all the mentioned set ups. I would imagine if if I run mics>mic in on psp2>line out on psp2>analog in on v3>analog out on v3>iRiver or dr-07 that would be ok.  Or might it be better to run AES out on the v3 to the recorder?  either way should give me a balanced signal running out, right?

Page: yes, that was my psp2 Gray was running in Charlottesville.  He's ran it more than I have lately. 

Hi and Lo:  LOL about me selling it to you.  I can't seem to want to get rid of it.  I know I haven't gotten my $$ out of it lately.  But, it's just one of those rare pieces of gear that so few ppl have that makes be glad I have it....I know that's lame....

09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

Offline TaperBryan

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »
so, the rig is repacked and psp2 is in the mix.  I currently have it in the following order:
A.) akg>mic in on psp2>line out via interconnects>analog in on v3>analog out>dr-07 (line in)

Or should I reverse this and run:
B.) akg>analog in on v3>analog out>mic in on psp2>line out on psp2>dr-07 (line in)

the settings on the psp2 are mic in, phantom at 24/48, mic sensitivity at -35 db, gain set at 0 db.  but, i'm not sure what the switches beside the gain are/do that have the 80, 120, off settings  ???.  therefore, i'm not sure what to set them at.  (credit to cfox for the use of the pic below)

09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
Def use the v3 for the adc>DR05 ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:12 AM »
I am so confused... why are you running the PSP-2 and the V3 if you are not using the V3 strictly for it's A/D functionality?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
I am so confused... why are you running the PSP-2 and the V3 if you are not using the V3 strictly for it's A/D functionality?

Because he doesnt have the attenuators to run mics>psp2>dr05. The DR05 will overload unless he has -20db attenuators :)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 12:26:13 AM »

Because he doesnt have the attenuators to run mics>psp2>dr05. The DR05 will overload unless he has -20db attenuators :)

DR-05? He's using a DR-07 and looking at both options A and B, they are both Analog out from the V3 to the DR-07. That's going to brickwall MORE than just using the psp-2.

Until attenuators are obtained, it seems to me like the Tascam handheld should be completely out of the picture.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

Until attenuators are obtained, it seems to me like the Tascam handheld should be completely out of the picture.

Agreed :)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 01:46:28 AM »

Agreed :)

Concur.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 08:32:08 AM »
The PSP-2 has an unbalanced minijack out, does it not?  That would be output at -10 so it would likely fix the problem (and eliminate the V3)
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
All this recent psp2 talk has me wanting to run mine, at a show that is coming up Soon.  But I'm in a somewhat similar situation with overload concerns - running into an r09.  And this is an unfamiliar venue, where I don't know what the levels will be, and checking is not advised.

This combo has gotten me into trouble with levels in the past.   It's a pretty awful feeling once the show has started, then realizing you're in a world of hurt on levels!  And you left other pre-amps, that would not have caused a problem, at home.

It's true - the best sounding pre-amp is the one that does not overload your recorder :P

The m10 can take a hotter signal... It would be really useful if some m10 owners could explore what happens to the m10 recording quality when the "gain" is turned down to the lowest settings, and it is fed a very hot signal.

The psp2 should be able to be run with quiet sources without attenuators..   Though I do wonder how much the sound character suffers if you don't drive the input transformers with sufficient gusto (is "gusto" from french? I think so).

I've always thought the min gain of the pre was closer to 25 db, not 20.   But I never measured it.  The mic input sensitivity function, and exactly what it does, has always been a bit of a mystery.

I got my psp2 right around the time I sold my 722.  And I immediately missed the pro-level input capability of the 7xx . Losing it impacted my ability and desire to run the psp2, especially after initial problems with the hot output.

I've always been averse to attenuators, though I do have a -20 (I think I'd prefer a -5, and a -10).  I'm averse to that -20 because it isn't impedance matched to this gear, and I always felt non-attenuated preamps would sound better.  Nevermind that many recorders have internal attenuators that we don't specifically know about.

The minijack output on the psp2 is hot.. I don't think there is any way it could be -10.  But I'll try and check if I get it cabled right.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 10:09:12 AM »
It's true - the best sounding pre-amp is the one that does not overload your recorder :P

at the end of the day, this is king.

The m10 can take a hotter signal... It would be really useful if some m10 owners could explore what happens to the m10 recording quality when the "gain" is turned down to the lowest settings, and it is fed a very hot signal.

In an environment where you can adjust levels in 1-3db increments, it makes sense to try and optimize the M10's character. In this example behind a psp2 where you don't have that sort of control, I think it's the lesser of multiple evils (assuming overloading is one of those evils). Doesn't answer your question per se, but it induces apathy (in my mind at any rate).

The psp2 should be able to be run with quiet sources without attenuators..   Though I do wonder how much the sound character suffers if you don't drive the input transformers with sufficient gusto (is "gusto" from french? I think so).

I would assume as so. If part of the signature from a sonosax comes from transistor overload by getting above the nominal (either 0dbu or +8dbu) and staying under +20 where it hits the wall, then you try and drive it accordingly.

I've always been averse to attenuators, though I do have a -20 (I think I'd prefer a -5, and a -10).  I'm averse to that -20 because it isn't impedance matched to this gear, and I always felt non-attenuated preamps would sound better.  Nevermind that many recorders have internal attenuators that we don't specifically know about.

I've been hit and miss, some attenuators I've had great results with, others have caused load problems. Never looked into how the tell the difference before purchase...

The minijack output on the psp2 is hot.. I don't think there is any way it could be -10.  But I'll try and check if I get it cabled right.

On the psp3, it's a headphone out, right? Whereas on the psp2 it's a line level out of some sort, I just don't know the level. I would also assume it's -10 but I've seen squirly stuff before.

Does the psp2 have output transformers as well or just input? If yes, does the minijack out get routed through those first or no?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 10:37:15 AM »
but, i'm not sure what the switches beside the gain are/do that have the 80, 120, off settings  ???.  therefore, i'm not sure what to set them at. 

These are for the low cut filter. I always leave them at off and fix any low end issues in post.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 10:54:02 AM »

I ran DPA 4021 > PSP2 > M10 (via mini out of EAA to mini in on M10 with gain output on EAA set to 0) at a loud stadium show 2 weeks ago and the gain on the M10 was all the way down to 2 on the recorder - no overload on the recording. I was surprised that the M10 could take such a hot signal.

As to the discussion on the output of the mini out vs the XLR - I believe the both follow the "Gain Output" pots on the EAA. So the output is selectable between +12, +6 and 0. From my experience it seems that both the XLR and mini output the same based on the above selection. I always run the gain output at 0 for rock shows. This seems to work well > 722, DR680, M10, DAT equipment, etc.

FYI, here is a copy of the PSP2 manual that was conveniently posted by the TS mods:
http://www.taperssection.com/reference/pdf/Manual_EAAPSP2.pdf

Offline TaperBryan

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »
thanks, everybody, for the input/suggestions, etc. 

Last night when I was testing level settings, etc.  I had the mics xy about 2' from my tv and turned the volume up pretty loudly to check levels.  I was surprised at how the levels didn't overload w/ this set up: akg>mic in on psp2>line out via interconnects>analog in on v3>analog out>dr-07 (line in).  the settings on the psp2 are mic in, phantom at 24/48, mic sensitivity at -35 db, gain set at 0 db.  I did adjust the record level on the dr-07 and currently have it set at around 6.  I normally don't take headphones to shows as I've always been comfy just eyeing the levels when running the v3 to know when I have them dialed in.  But, since I haven't ran the psp2>v3 in quite some time, I plan on taking headphones so I can monitor the levels on the dr-07 and adjust accordingly.  I think if I leave the psp2 settings as mentioned above and set the v3 to a gain of 10 (pretty sure that's the lowest setting on the v3), my frequency select at 48kHz (i plan to run 24/48 on the dr-07) and use the trim accordingly, i think i should be fine.

Of course, all this goes out the window if it thunder storms on Fri like they are calling for.  The venue I'll be at is open air and no shed/roof.  I plan to rainproof the gear.  but, if it's a down pour like earlier this week...it'll stay in the car.  speaking of rain proofing the gear, I thought about getting some heavy duty zip lock bags to put the psp2/v3 in and cutting a little hole on the side of the bag to run my cables through.  I wonder how this would work? Obviously, i have many trash bags to sit my gear bag.  but, i was wanting to be a little extra cautious.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 11:46:10 AM »
I think you need to test going out of the minijack directly into the deck. 

I do not understand at all why you want to even bother with the V3.  It's doing nothing in this scenario except adding a second gain stage you have to run through.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com