Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations  (Read 17284 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
My latest pair of Etymotic ER-6 (which I use with custom earplugs in place of the filter) bit the dust.  That's 3 pairs now that have gone kaput, and I'm tired of their fragility even under my very gentle use.  Custom molds are a must.  I seem to have oddly shaped ear canals, which make universal fit in-ear 'phones quite uncomfortable...even painful.  So, I'm looking for a new pair of custom-molded in-ear 'phones.

Requirements

• Budget up to ~$250 (not including impressions)
  • Custom molds
  • Robust cabling & connections (i.e. won't break easily)
  • Right-angle mini stereo connector

Bonus

• Removable / replaceable cables
  • Different color earpieces (I struggle to see the small blue or red dot on my otherwise clear earplugs)
  • Dual driver

These are for strictly casual listening, so I'm not looking for absolute top-notch IEMs.  But I don't want bunk, either.  Just something in budget & comfortable for quality (but not critical) listening in planes, trains (but not automobiles), etc.  I found an outdated list of IEM manufacturers on Headfi.  In reviewing those options, and poking around a bit online, these seem to stand out:

$259  |  Fidelity Duals (splinter from Livewires; not sure if/how they're different)
$249  |  LiveWires Dual Driver
$250  |  Tunz Duo (couldn't find pricing on their website)
$189  |  Alien Ears C1000 (single driver)
$249  |  EarSound Maestroz SD (single driver; these are all but ruled out due to poor product name alone!)
$289  |  Westone CR1 (single driver)

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Fidelity Duals.  Anyone have recommendations for other IEMs suiting my requirements and budget, and / or feedback on any of the above?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:21:05 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: In-ear headphone / IEM recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »
  Say I'm considering a set down the line, thanks to your feedback Etymotic will no longer be considered.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
My latest pair of Etymotic ER-6 bit the dust.  That's 3 pairs now that have gone kaput, and I'm tired of their fragility even under my very gentle use.  Custom molds are a must.  I seem to have oddly shaped ear canals, which make universal fit in-ear 'phones quite uncomfortable...even painful.  So, I'm looking for a new pair of custom-molded in-ear 'phones.

Requirements

• Custom molds

Bonus

• Different color earpieces (I struggle to see the small blue or red dot on my otherwise clear earplugs)
  • Dual driver

These are for strictly casual listening, so I'm not looking for absolute top-notch IEMs.  But I don't want bunk, either.  Just something in budget & comfortable for quality (but not critical) listening in planes, trains (but not automobiles), etc.  I found an outdated list of IEM manufacturers on Headfi.  In reviewing those options, and poking around a bit online, these seem to stand out:

$259  |  Fidelity Duals (splinter from Livewires; not sure if/how they're different)
$249  |  EarSound Maestroz SD (single driver; these are all but ruled out due to poor product name alone!)

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Fidelity Duals.  Anyone have recommendations for other IEMs suiting my requirements and budget, and / or feedback on any of the above?

Does that pricing include the custom molds?  I see your impressions exclusion.

I had Sensaphonics make mine but they are specific for the brand.

I caught a pair of Shures on sale for 1/2 price a while ago and they work just fine for me. 

The ear pieces isolate so well that I am able to play my drums with my click track and hear nothing but the beats coming from the device.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 05:47:09 PM »
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »
Just curious what happened to your pairs of ER6's?  I always thought of the construction as fragile, but my (only) pair has lasted since 2005.  Granted, they don't get continuous daily use, but they've been around.  I read about another member who accidentally ran theirs through the wash and ended up working fine afterwards.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
Just curious what happened to your pairs of ER6's?

Same problem with all three pairs:  one channel simply stopped working.  No visible signs of why, no specific trauma of which I'm aware, just...kaput.  To Etymotic's credit, they've been quite good at replacing them, even out of warranty in one instance, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

EScott -- Pricing includes molds, but not impressions.  I've not yet considered custom molds for universal fit 'phones, like the Shure / Sensaphonics option, but seems like I ought to.  Will have to dig a bit more.  Which Shure's do you have? 
Roland R-05

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »
The Westone um3x were nice when I had them and are close to your price range (but above it) and by proxy I'd recomend their single driver unit. I found the um3x to be mildly dark though above about 5khz, they won't sound like the ER-6s (which I also had). They are universal drivers with custom tips made. Investigate whether or not you can have the W3 drivers done as custom tips, I can't remember, but that's the "hi-fi" edition which has a different EQ.

If you're in a pinch, you could double up and get musicians plugs which use the ety filters and then get another set of ER6s which can use those in place of the filters.

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:04:12 AM »
I would check out Grado Labs GR8 or GR10 if I were you. They DO NOT meet all you requirements, but very nice IEM I believe.
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:38:57 AM »

Same problem with all three pairs:  one channel simply stopped working.  No visible signs of why, no specific trauma of which I'm aware, just...kaput.  To Etymotic's credit, they've been quite good at replacing them, even out of warranty in one instance, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle anymore.

EScott -- Pricing includes molds, but not impressions.  I've not yet considered custom molds for universal fit 'phones, like the Shure / Sensaphonics option, but seems like I ought to.  Will have to dig a bit more.  Which Shure's do you have?

I would look at these or the model above (315)

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1316431962&sr=8-16

Sensaphonics is around $80 I think for the ear piece, but they are worth their weight in gold.

I think they are in Chicago so you can save $$ on shipping  ;D

Looks like my style is no longer made. 

1 thing I really like about mine is they fit over the ear - if that makes sense.  I pull the molds over my ear and so the little bit of weight is not hanging but resting over my ears.

Also, not recommended for gym or exercise use - they don't take too well to sweat getting inside of the tiny headphone port.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »
Also, not recommended for gym or exercise use - they don't take too well to sweat getting inside of the tiny headphone port.

It's 8AM and I'm not a morning person and thus I can't find the article specifically now that I wanted to, but I remember reading recently that it's a bad to wear headphones at the gym anyway. As you're working out, the blood slightly drains out of non-working parts (e.g. your ears) and leaves them with less protection than normal to loud sounds thus putting you at a heightened risk for damage.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

It's 8AM and I'm not a morning person and thus I can't find the article specifically now that I wanted to, but I remember reading recently that it's a bad to wear headphones at the gym anyway. As you're working out, the blood slightly drains out of non-working parts (e.g. your ears) and leaves them with less protection than normal to loud sounds thus putting you at a heightened risk for damage.

With noise cancelling molds, you can use low volume levels and I would argue that it would be fine.  The real problem is people jacking up their Ipod headphones and killing their ears in any situation.

Plus, the music @ the gym sucks!

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Read post#1:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-195-iems-compared-fischer-audio-fa-788-skullcandy-smokin-added-9-17-11

OR scroll down to post #8 (towards the bottom) to see a breakdown of each iem in terms of ratings & price.  Makes it very easy to see which iem's in the top 10-15 are within your price range and have a solid review.  I highly recommend that you purchase a pair of IEM's that use the Shure black olive tips.  They are insanely comfortable.  They glide in and out of your ear without any pain and  sit in your ear canal without any pain or sensitivity.  It will just be a matter of finding out which size fits (small, medium, large).  I used the medium tips.

On a personal note:  I loved my Shure SE530's.  They were a wonderful iem, very smooth sounding....worked very well with my two mp3 players (rio karma and iriver h140).  BUT, the darn thing would break after a year or use.   So after three warranty returns, Shure finally replaced the SE530 with the 535.  The 535 turned out to be very uncomfortable due to the physical changes Shure made to the iem bodies and the wiring leading to the bodies.  So I sold them off and have been without iem's for two months.   Shure has a wonderful warranty repair/replacement policy.  Everytime I sent in my busted SE530's they mailed me a brand new pair in it's new box, etc (with new tips and all).  Maybe you should look into the lower tier Shures within your price range.  I don't think they suffered from the same physical change that the SE5xx went through.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »

Westones have the same problem.  I had the Westone 2 and the left earphone went out on three different units.  Westone was great about replacing them, but I shouldn't have to send them back in the first place.  After the third set, Westone upgraded me to the UM3x and they have been good so far, but it's only been like two months.

When I spoke with Westone, they said that the studio monitors IEMs are made in the U.S. and their consumer models are made in China.  The 2 was part of the consumer line so maybe its Chinese origin had something to do with it.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 08:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'm trying to stay away from universal fit earphones due to discomfort as a result of my apparently quite narrow ear canal and fairly sharp bend.

I'm still considering custom molds + universal earphones, similar to my molds + ER6i.  Earsound offers Bosefit, Shurefit, and molds that fit a huge selection of earphones (see their "other earbuds" section).  In all cases, it seems the molds simply have the proper sized receptacle into which one inserts the universal earphone.  But by the time I buy the earphones + the molds, the price is at least as expensive as, if not significantly morethan, the low end IEMs.  Pro:  if the earphones break, I can simply replace them with the same model, rather than replacing the entire IEM.  Con:  I suspect they aren't as durable and / or don't sound as good as IEMs.

Right now I'm leaning towards Fidelity Duals / Livewires, but still have some learning to do.  Decisions, decisions...
Roland R-05

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34:06 PM »
I've had a good experience with the low end westones. The ergonomics are great, and for some reason there is much less microphonic noice from the cable, footfalls, etc.

-Noah 
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 12:49:08 AM »
I'm trying to stay away from universal fit earphones due to discomfort as a result of my apparently quite narrow ear canal and fairly sharp bend.

Brian, I have the exact same issue with my right ear (narrow canal and sharp bend just inside the canal).  I noticed it when I had molds made for some attenuators and it explained why most IEM bothered me especially after lengthy listening.  A low cost solution that worked for me was to use two different sized Comply Foam ear tips http://www.complyfoam.com/.  They make several sizes and I've found that a small one in my right ear and a med one in my left ear work great.  They are very comfortable and seal really well for good low end response.  I use them with a pair of Westone W4s and the attenuation of outside sound is good.  Not as much attenuation as the custom molded IEM I have but good enough for airplane use etc...  The guys at Westone introduced the comply tips to me since comply makes tips that fit the W4 exactly.

Anyway I wanted to bring up another low cost option you could explore.

-MIQ

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:11 PM »
My latest pair of Etymotic ER-6 (which I use with custom earplugs in place of the filter) bit the dust.  That's 3 pairs now that have gone kaput, and I'm tired of their fragility even under my very gentle use.  Custom molds are a must.  I seem to have oddly shaped ear canals, which make universal fit in-ear 'phones quite uncomfortable...even painful.  So, I'm looking for a new pair of custom-molded in-ear 'phones.

Requirements

• Custom molds

Bonus

• Dual driver

Send your broken ear buds to me I can fix them in most cases.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline tbger

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
Brian,

Tyll Hertsens, a well known headphone guy, is talking about IEMs and custom molded IEMs in this video from "Home Theater Geeks".  I suggest you to see it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyLSNrMjWdI  (skip to 16:00)

Have you considered other types of headphones for casual portable listening ?  IEMs, due to both their fragility and type of use (portable isn't always gentle), tend to break quite much.  I suggest you also consider full size or on-ear cans.  There are some very common and great portables out there, the Beyerdynamic DT1350 among them.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »

Requirements

• Custom molds

Bonus

• Dual driver

For the price these can not be beat and they are very comfortable.
Sony MDR-EX71SL they sound great and have a nice balanced sound. They do need a long break in period so cranking some deep bass tunes overnight cures that issue. Once  broken in they sound great.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 05:06:05 AM »
WESTONE for me. ..  been using them heavily for eight years and have no failures.  Excellent sound.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 03:33:03 AM »
WESTONE for me. ..  been using them heavily for eight years and have no failures.  Excellent sound.

Ditto that.  I had Shures & Ety's for several years and always liked them...but then got a set of Westones and have never looked back since.
The UM2's that i have sound warm, sharp, and all-around awesome. 
I've let some well-known live performers try them and all became converts.

Highly recommended!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
I've also liked my Westone 3s better than anything else I've had.   They also have excellent service (cord on one phone got tugged hard when it caught on something and disconnected it; replaced w/ in 3 days).  The build is pretty sturdy also.  I use mine every single day.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »
In the market for a pair that I can use to listen to on the fly mixes at shows so I need some that really isolate well. We are expecting so things will need to be quiet in the house next year and I want to the have the option to mix/track on them. My friend that does location sound recommended Remote Audio High Noise Headphones with Sony 7506 drivers in them, but for $285, I figured I could get something that is in ear with as much isolation. Plus, it is hot as balls here in the summer time and big headphones make my ears sweat. So I think compact is the way to go.

I was looking at the Shure SE 215 Live Sound Monitors for $90 from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

they also have the older E2C's for $198
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-E2c-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0000CE1UO/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_2

Shure SE 315 for $190
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE315-K-Isolating-Earphone-Hi-Definition/dp/B00426DND4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320696249&sr=1-1

Westone 2 for $189
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-WST-WESTONE2-2-Earphones/dp/B00373PE9Y/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

Westone UM2 Dual Driver for $207
http://www.amazon.com/WESTONE-TRUE-DUAL-DRIVER-EARPHONES/dp/B000NIOVWC/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320694455&sr=1-8

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
In the market for a pair that I can use to listen to on the fly mixes at shows so I need some that really isolate well. We are expecting so things will need to be quiet in the house next year and I want to the have the option to mix/track on them. My friend that does location sound recommended Remote Audio High Noise Headphones with Sony 7506 drivers in them, but for $285, I figured I could get something that is in ear with as much isolation. Plus, it is hot as balls here in the summer time and big headphones make my ears sweat. So I think compact is the way to go.

I was looking at the Shure SE 215 Live Sound Monitors for $90 from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Sound-Monitor-Black/dp/B004PNZFZ8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

they also have the older E2C's for $198
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-E2c-Sound-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B0000CE1UO/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_2

Shure SE 315 for $190
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE315-K-Isolating-Earphone-Hi-Definition/dp/B00426DND4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320696249&sr=1-1

Westone 2 for $189
http://www.amazon.com/Westone-WST-WESTONE2-2-Earphones/dp/B00373PE9Y/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_1

Westone UM2 Dual Driver for $207
http://www.amazon.com/WESTONE-TRUE-DUAL-DRIVER-EARPHONES/dp/B000NIOVWC/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320694455&sr=1-8

That's a great price for the Westone UM2.  Those are definitely what I would go with.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »
they have the ones with detachable cables for $222

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-Um2-Monitor-Removable-Cable/dp/B003U9VMUU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1320698549&sr=1-2

how much do they isolate? it says 25db so I am guessing I shouldn't have a hard time monitoring during a show.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
We are expecting so things will need to be quiet in the house next year and I want to the have the option to mix/track on them.

Congratulations, in our experience and in talking to friends, don't go overboard on the quiet or you will have a baby that can't sleep around activity. Our kid would fall asleep with a smile when he heard Garcia's guitar, (babysitter + fussy 3 month old + Garcia album he hadn't heard = sleep), he also showed an early preference for Garcia to Zappa. We'd take him to parties, and when he was tired, he'd crash right in the middle of the party.

Now he's 15, likes Jackie Greene, Ryan Adams and Neil Young along with a host of newer artists. I've burned him out on the Dead, but that's fine. You shouldn't like all of your parents music.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
ended up getting the Etymotic Research HF5's for $99. mainly b/c of the isolation properties (35-42dbs). for the price, I don't think they can be beat. The cable is kevlar reinforced and they come with a 2yr warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP8DJC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KQ5MAK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WW8PST8F396W25N9PG0

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »
I hope you enjoy the sound they provide.  I always thought every Ety I tried sounded very nice and flat, but never was something I wanted to wear to listen back to anything.  I have not heard some of the new ones though.

Just FYI, the Westones can take custom molded earpieces instead of the foam tips.  This is more comfortable for most people and provides a little more isolation.  Sometimes I wear mine on the train home and absolutely cannot hear anyone around me!  Very nice at times.

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »
I hope you enjoy the sound they provide.  I always thought every Ety I tried sounded very nice and flat, but never was something I wanted to wear to listen back to anything.  I have not heard some of the new ones though.

Just FYI, the Westones can take custom molded earpieces instead of the foam tips.  This is more comfortable for most people and provides a little more isolation.  Sometimes I wear mine on the train home and absolutely cannot hear anyone around me!  Very nice at times.

So how do I go about getting some of these custom molded earpieces for my westones?
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline dlh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
ended up getting the Etymotic Research HF5's for $99. mainly b/c of the isolation properties (35-42dbs). for the price, I don't think they can be beat. The cable is kevlar reinforced and they come with a 2yr warranty.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XP8DJC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002KQ5MAK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WW8PST8F396W25N9PG0

I have Ety 4B's and use these:
http://www.complyfoam.com/?gclid=CPzNsNaXrKwCFUdn5QodPSc94A
For me, they're more comfortable than any of the supplied tips and still give good isolation.
BTW, I love the 4B's

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »

I have Ety 4B's and use these:
http://www.complyfoam.com/?gclid=CPzNsNaXrKwCFUdn5QodPSc94A
For me, they're more comfortable than any of the supplied tips and still give good isolation.
BTW, I love the 4B's

Dave

thanks for the heads up. I might have to get a set with the earwax filter to protect the tip.

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

So how do I go about getting some of these custom molded earpieces for my westones?

I went to my local Audiologist, who happened to also be a Westone dealer.  They will make molds of your ear canal.  Then either they can send the molds direct to Westone, or you can probably do it yourself.  You can choose your color or pattern and composition.
They slip right on the IEM like a Comply tip would.
Cost was about $100 when I had mine done.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2011, 02:12:57 AM »
I've used the copter headphones with Sony 7506 guts and much preffer using westone IemS with comply tips and shop or gun range over ear mufflers if more isolation is required; less klunky, more comfortable, and much better fidelity.  The gun range mufflers allow use with any iems and give you more options for ergonomics, like in a quieter scene, you can remove the mufflers to let your ears breath. I use the westone um1 for gritty stuff and um2s for quieter high dynamic range sources.  Be picking up um3x soon.  Been using westone daily for many years without failure.  Much better solution than the Remote Audio HN-7506 imho.

Best,

John Hartney

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »
A long delayed update:

I decided to skip IEMs and more expensive earphone models -- just too much money for my only occasional, casual, on-the-go use, and based on some comments here and elsewhere I'm a little concerned about the IEM's hard-shell molds, comfort, and fragility.  So I gave the Ultimate Ears 500 a try.  Not too surprisingly, none of the included tips fit my ears.  (I have very narrow ear canals with a particulary sharp bend.)  I looked into Comply tips, but it appears (granted relying on photos only) that they don't make tips small enough for my puny ear canals.  Also, the stock tips (and I assume Comply tips, too) don't slot onto the UE500 very tightly, raising concerns about pulling out the earphone while the tip remains lodged in my ear.  Done that once with the foam tips on my ER-6, and it was a PITA.

So...in the end, I decided to stick with the Etymotic ER-6 since they're compatible with my custom molds (which I also use for concerts with the -15 dB filters).  Etymotic replaced my earphones out of warranty, for free (as they've once done before).  At this point, if they're happy to keep replacing them, I'm happy to keep using them -- the hassle of finding other earphones that fit my ears and/or custom molds is more hassle than the 1-2 yearly replacement.

Thanks for all the recs, everyone -- I do appreciate everyone taking the time to provide feedback, and I'm confident other TSers will find the thread helpful, even though I ultimately went in a different direction than originally planned.

On a related note:  I've been using a Rockboxed iRiver iHP-120 for a portable music player.  I finally got tired of its bulk and picked up a Sansa Clip+.  Damn this thing is small!  With a 32 GB microSD card I have more than enough storage for portable listening, and it sounds pretty darn good.  :coolguy:
Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
..Just FYI, the Westones can take custom molded earpieces instead of the foam tips.  This is more comfortable for most people and provides a little more isolation.  Sometimes I wear mine on the train home and absolutely cannot hear anyone around me!  Very nice at times.

FYI-
Contrary to popular belief, expanding foam earplugs usually provide more isolation than custom-molded plugs due to both their expansion, which maintains a minimal yet even pressure across the entire contact surface while in use, and their flexibility which allows them to better conform to the slightly ever-changing shape of the ear canal.  Isolation is amost entirely about the quality of seal and the depth of it in the ear canal.  The advantage of custom-molded plugs is primarily comfort and ease of insertion, not the highest achievable isolaton.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline YYzepp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2011, 09:07:09 PM »
I've been a pro drummer for 25 years. Obviously one cannot stress enough the importance of ear protection. Those cylinder-shaped foam plugs are the only foam type of plugs I wear. I've tried all the other shapes/styles but they're the best. I had custom Etymotic IEM's made and for a while they were great. The one thing your audiologist might not tell you is if you lose/gain enough body weight the shape of your ear canal changes. When that happens those $$ customs won't provide the best fit any more and you need new molds done. Lately I've been using Surefire EP5 Sonic Defenders for protection. They're reusable, they stay put, 26dB reduction, and they're cheap. I think I paid around $15 for the pair. Highly recommended.
Tony

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2011, 10:54:45 PM »
I finally got tired of its bulk and picked up a Sansa Clip+.  Damn this thing is small!  With a 32 GB microSD card I have more than enough storage for portable listening, and it sounds pretty darn good.  :coolguy:

Brian, do you have your Clip+ rockboxed?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »
Brian, do you have your Clip+ rockboxed?

I just Rockboxed it, but haven't had much opportunity to explore configuration, UI, etc.  I had my old iRiver Rockboxed and the configuration and UI options were much better than stock, so I assume the same will be true with the Clip+.
Roland R-05

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »
While they are NOT custom molds, I have tried a MILLION in-ear setups, and my favorite are my $25.00 Zune headphones. I just bought another pair of Skull Candy ones last night for $30.00. And while theyre decent sound-wise, but are VERY RUGGED as a whole, they are a great match w/ my iPod Classic and my M10's :) And the cable is flat so it doesnt get all wound up :P :) ;D I want to try the "Beats By Dre" in-ears as well, but cant afford them right now :)

Best of luck in your search Brian ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
Just happened across this, not recommending but thought it might be of interest here...

Collin's Lab: Custom Fit Earbuds

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »
Just happened across this, not recommending but thought it might be of interest here...

Collin's Lab: Custom Fit Earbuds

Hmmm, very interesting. Def worth a look :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
I've been a pro drummer for 25 years. Obviously one cannot stress enough the importance of ear protection. Those cylinder-shaped foam plugs are the only foam type of plugs I wear. I've tried all the other shapes/styles but they're the best. I had custom Etymotic IEM's made and for a while they were great. The one thing your audiologist might not tell you is if you lose/gain enough body weight the shape of your ear canal changes. When that happens those $$ customs won't provide the best fit any more and you need new molds done. Lately I've been using Surefire EP5 Sonic Defenders for protection. They're reusable, they stay put, 26dB reduction, and they're cheap. I think I paid around $15 for the pair. Highly recommended.

I'm in the same boat as far being a drummer.  My shure's have now died on me, at least the right channel so my net purchase will be a custom pair from sensaphonics.  Shure's design has changed so my molds are worthless.  I need total isolation as I run a board feed through a mixer to include my click.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.19 seconds with 68 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com