Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)  (Read 35290 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)
« on: December 14, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
Part 1: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139081

I haven't dug deep in the thread yet....   but does anyone successfully power the USBPre 2 off of the Tekkeon USB output?  Thanks.

Yep. Acidjack has been doing this for as long as he's owned both units.

I have as well. (722 off of the main out and the usbpre2 off of the usb slot)

Cool thanks fellas!  I'm thinkin about jumpin on board.
So....   this has the same (or very similar) pre amp and ADC as the 744 correct?  I'm lookin to use it for the ADC mainly.

same preamp as the 788 specifically and the same ADC as used in all of the 7 series.

The difference is specs on the line-in is it can handle up to +28dbu before clipping on the line-in (balanced TRS jacks) compared to the +26dbu for the 7x2 and 744 (I havn't looked at the 788s to see if they are the same). If you do use it with the preamp, look at whether or not you will need the -15db pads or not. For quiet mics, you may not and instead just use very little gain. food for though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
Re: Sound Devices USBPre2 (Part Duex)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:13:50 AM »
bump so it shows up first in the forum section until SClassical locks the other thread.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
marking therad 8)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:39:14 PM »
The USBPre2 is one of my favorite pieces of gear.  Versatile, lightweight, elegant design, can co-power with deck through a Tekkeon, and can use as an external A/D and/or headphone amp with the computer.

Oh, and has same pres as a $6000 recorder.  What's not to like?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
If by chance anyone is looking to sell, let me know.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »
Although I prefer my Sonosax as a pre-amp, I think the a/d is top notch and has improved my recordings using it as an a/d.   I love that it can take a hot signal (via 1/4) and is very easy to power.   Add to that feature list that that you can clock it to another a/d makes it a great value. 
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Although I prefer my Sonosax as a pre-amp, I think the a/d is top notch and has improved my recordings using it as an a/d.   I love that it can take a hot signal (via 1/4) and is very easy to power.   Add to that feature list that that you can clock it to another a/d makes it a great value.

this.

That was the big attraction for me, I can mate it with my 722 and run 4 channel or use it as a DAC/headamp when at home. I can even use it as the intermediary and convert to/from optical/rca spdif without loss (emailed SD and asked once since my MD player has optical out and my 722 didnt).

Offline Beedy

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
this.

That was the big attraction for me, I can mate it with my 722 and run 4 channel or use it as a DAC/headamp when at home. I can even use it as the intermediary and convert to/from optical/rca spdif without loss (emailed SD and asked once since my MD player has optical out and my 722 didnt).
[/quote]

How did you connect your 722 with the usbpre2 to run 4 channel?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
this.

[/i][/i]

How did you connect your 722 with the usbpre2 to run 4 channel?
[/quote]

You need another 2-channel recorder with a digital input (or output). By connecting the USBPre2's digital input to the 722 or any recorder with a digital output, the USBPre2 will sync it's clock with the external source. Then it's just a matter of connecting another deck, like a Sony D50, to the USBPre2's digital output.

It other words, the USBPre2's digital input ignores audio portion of a data stream, but syncs to the sample rate.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
You need another 2-channel recorder with a digital input (or output). By connecting the USBPre2's digital input to the 722 or any recorder with a digital output, the USBPre2 will sync it's clock with the external source. Then it's just a matter of connecting another deck, like a Sony D50, to the USBPre2's digital output.

It other words, the USBPre2's digital input ignores audio portion of a data stream, but syncs to the sample rate.

Correct. I have a D50 (which is one of the most economical digital in recorders) and I run a spdif cable from aes-id out on the 722 to spdif in on the usbpre2 and set the pre2 to line/mic. Just make sure to turn on the 722 fully before turning on the usbpre2, I've had odd things happen when it trys to sync up different clock sources than when it turned on. There is probably some rhyme and reason to it, but I didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out. SD advises a delayed turn on practice when clocking multiple 7 series units and I don't think it's unreasonable to apply the same standard here.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »

Correct. I have a D50 (which is one of the most economical digital in recorders) and I run a spdif cable from aes-id out on the 722 to spdif in on the usbpre2 and set the pre2 to line/mic. Just make sure to turn on the 722 fully before turning on the usbpre2, I've had odd things happen when it trys to sync up different clock sources than when it turned on. There is probably some rhyme and reason to it, but I didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out. SD advises a delayed turn on practice when clocking multiple 7 series units and I don't think it's unreasonable to apply the same standard here.

To add to this, the "page method" has worked for Fried Chicken Boy and I going R44 #1>USBPre>R-44 #2 to make an 8-channel mix.  Thanks to page I no longer have to even contemplate running a 680 ever again. (sorry for the gratuitous 680 insult in advance)  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 10:27:10 PM »
Curious, anyone using the limiter in this box?  Haven't seen any comments about it reading through the posts.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 04:27:37 AM »
Curious, anyone using the limiter in this box?  Haven't seen any comments about it reading through the posts.

I think as a general rule of thumb, using Limiters/AGC/etc is frowned upon! So I doubt you will have too many people chiming in to this thread about the USBPre2's Limiters ;)

Never know tho, maybe a few people ARE using them ??? :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »
Not the limiter but have been using the 15dB pad.  Found that it was all I needed even when using mics on stage.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
Not the limiter but have been using the 15dB pad.  Found that it was all I needed even when using mics on stage.

I've use the pad, all the time, have to. I ran my ck950s couple weeks ago with the gain turned all the way down, 15db pad in, and peaked around -5.  :o

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »

I've use the pad, all the time, have to. I ran my ck950s couple weeks ago with the gain turned all the way down, 15db pad in, and peaked around -5.  :o

Same.  Without the pad I found the signal to be way, way too hot almost all the time.  I still run the Schoeps at only about 1/4 of the gain wheel, the DPAs just a hair more.

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
Are the 7xx series pre's that hot too?  Same pre's right??
Reminds me of the "hotness" of the MixPre.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »
Are the 7xx series pre's that hot too?  Same pre's right??

the usbpre2 uses the same preamps as the 788 (at least thats what SD says, I'm inclined to believe them).

The difference comes in the max input before clipping values. I can throw just under +10dbu at my 722 in mic-in mode and clip it, that would clip the usbpre2 though (which is -10dbu and +4dbu if you use the pad). Yes, the pre2 sounds the same as it's bigger brother, but the 7 series have a series of features that other boxes in the SD line don't have.

Anyway, here is how I figured out what to do before showing up at a concert:

• I know the max input before clipping on the pre2 with out pad is a paltry -10dbu
  • With the pad, it's +4dbu (or really close, that's the official printed spec)
  • Based on the mic transfer chart (half way down), and the official beyer 950 literature, they have a max output before clipping of +3dbu. The 930s max out at +4dbu because of a slightly higher headroom and mildly lower output rating.
  • While very loud, I've never clipped the mics in this room for a similar act before based on post-prod/backwards calculation of SPL from older recordings I made with my 722 and it's printed gain ratings (which I was really good about writing down for a while)

So given all of this information, I knew I could turn the gain all the way down, and the mic and preamp would crap out at roughly the same time (which in theory is optimum as long as you know you won't hit that, but will come close).

It's an awesome box, case in point, today I was at a friends house who had a DAC that accepted SPDIF (RCA) and I didn't have that out of my macbook, so I fed the optical to the pre2 and a spdif out of that. SD said it doesn't resample so it acted like one of the older Hosa276 converter boxes. It just has some quirks that people need to keep in consideration is all.

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »
any suggestions on on what input i should use: 
external pre (with unbalanced output) > usbpre2

are the xlr's strictly mic inputs?  or can they be fed a line signal?
is there any difference between the 1/4" LINE and rca AUX inputs?
thanks.

also....  i read that the pre2 as the same pre-amp and ADC topology as the 744.  are they the same pre's as the 788 too??
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 11:27:15 PM by uncleyug »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
any suggestions on on what input i should use: 
external pre (with unbalanced output) > usbpre2

are the xlr's strictly mic inputs?  or can they be fed a line signal?
is there any difference between the 1/4" LINE and rca AUX inputs?
thanks.

they are designed for a mic-in source; with the 15db pad engaged they clip at +4dbu.

The TRS jacks (which are balanced) clip at +28dbu and the RCAs clip much lower at +9dbu.

What preamp, what's it's max out, and what mics are you using? The theory is if you aren't getting past +10, then it doesn't matter (one will use less line gain, thats it), but if you are, then use the TRS jacks.

also....  i read that the pre2 as the same pre-amp and ADC topology as the 744.  are they the same pre's as the 788 too??

the pre2's preamp stage is more like the 788s than the other 7 series in that it's digitally controlled, but they use the same stuff.

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »
^vms02ib which has BNC outputs only and has a max gain of +40db...  output clipping begins at 18dbV. 
i use BNC>RCA adapters on the outputs.  thanks G!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:27:06 AM by uncleyug »

Offline bhadella

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Toiling away the day...
    • http://db.etree.org/bhadella1
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
^vms02ib which has BNC outputs only and has a max gain of +40db...  output clipping begins at 18dbV. 
i use BNC>RCA adapters on the outputs.  thanks G!

If you are planning on using the majority of the gain from the vms02ib (coming close to clipping at 18 dbu), you need a set of BNC > 1/4 TRS cables and run in via the TRS jacks.  I run full analog gain from my Sonosax ( 20 dbu clipping) into my USBPre 2 via the TRS jacks.  I add 8 dbu of gain via the USBPre 2 (gain knobs at 12:00) to create a full value digital signal to my recorder. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:48:04 AM by bhadella »
"Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. "

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »
am i correct by saying that 18dbV = 20.2dbu?
or is that incorrect??

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
am i correct by saying that 18dbV = 20.2dbu?
or is that incorrect??

that looks right. I did the math last night and came up with something like that.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »

while you end up with 4 channels using this method, you essentially get 2 synch'd stereo recordings (not 4 separate channels), correct?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »

while you end up with 4 channels using this method, you essentially get 2 synch'd stereo recordings (not 4 separate channels), correct?

correct. you can achieve the same on an r-44 depending how you setup the wav file saving. Since I'd have to line up the other two tracks on a 744, I don't gain much other than space by running the dual box setup.

Offline sk-1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »
To anyone that's interested, I asked over at the SD user forum whether limiter/gain linking were planned firmware updates. The answer from Matt at SD was 'No.' Which is a shame.

Ben

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »
To anyone that's interested, I asked over at the SD user forum whether limiter/gain linking were planned firmware updates. The answer from Matt at SD was 'No.' Which is a shame.

Ben

gain linking would be cool, but I knew they weren't going to do that based on the physical design. There is nothing to tell you that they are linked without flipping it over and looking at the dipswitches.

it's also feature set differentiation. There is only so much they will (or even could) pull from the 7 series features.

kirk97132

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
So Win 7 is not seeing my Pre2.   Used to just boot up when I plugged in the cable.  Any ideas what is going on?  Anyone else come across this?

SO I hooked it up while holding in both selection buttons....same thing you can do to force it into preamp mode when hooked up to a computer.  It then installed drivers....weird.  Working fine now. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:17:03 PM by kirkd »

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 09:42:03 AM »
rockin it as a DAC...  and arffin diggin it!

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
Hi,

am I correct in the assumption that in standalone mode, when using the usbpre2 to record speech with a dynamic mic through XLR, I cannot use the analog RCA AUX output to record with an olympus ls-10?

In the manual it says about the RCA AUX out: "computer audio only". So, in standalone I can only use digital out or XLR out - is that true?

Thanks,

Hank.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »
No you are not correct. You can indeed use the rca output as well as the other 3 outputs in the stand alone mode. Make sure the recessed output knob is turned up.
                    Good luck

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
Thanks,

I didn't own the usbpre 2 when I asked, but now I do. It's doing a great job, but I'm not 100% happy with the headphone-out, because it has some hiss and I'm working on speech recordings, so I notice it all the time.
Does anyone have experiences with using other outputs for the headphones? Can I use adapters to connect my Sennheiser hd 25 to the XLR or RCA outputs of the usbpre 2? Is that possible at all?

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
I found a workaround by accident. It's not elegant, but it works: The USBPre2 has 2 headphone outputs. I only use the 6.3 mm one. Then I put any connector (e.g. an empty adapter) into the other jack, but not up to the stop. It has to sit at some point in the middle, about one or two mm before the end - and voilá, silence in my headphones. Strange but true...

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
I found a workaround by accident. It's not elegant, but it works: The USBPre2 has 2 headphone outputs. I only use the 6.3 mm one. Then I put any connector (e.g. an empty adapter) into the other jack, but not up to the stop. It has to sit at some point in the middle, about one or two mm before the end - and voilá, silence in my headphones. Strange but true...

interesting, so you end up creating a short for the other jack.

the headphone setup is the worst piece of the usbpre2, I won't defend it. It is best designed for low impedance headphones which demand gobs and gobs of current (since that's what it provides). I get his through my Denon D7000 headphones, but not my Audeze LCD-2 (which requires much more current to drive).

But yes, it's a known issue.

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »
I wonder what the best position is for the small output-knob when recording through the analog outputs. Is there additional amplification when it's turned up completely, or is it only to attenuate when not turned up completely? At what point does it correspond with the metering LEDs, at what point do the analog outputs have the same level as the digital outputs/usb-out?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
I wonder what the best position is for the small output-knob when recording through the analog outputs. Is there additional amplification when it's turned up completely, or is it only to attenuate when not turned up completely? At what point does it correspond with the metering LEDs, at what point do the analog outputs have the same level as the digital outputs/usb-out?

You need more information as to what you're sending it to as you're looking at two different metrics (dbu/dbV versus dbfs post-adc).

What you should look for is the maximum input value of the recorder you're sending it to. Once you figure that out, it's as simple as sending a test-tone through it (e.g. at -2dbfs)  and calibrating it so it doesn't clip the recorder. You'd need this anyway even if you knew the range of that knob.

Offline Hank H.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to figure that out. What kind of test tone do you recommend? Does it make a difference if I use a sinus wave or e.g. white noise?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
Thanks again for the info. I'm trying to figure that out. What kind of test tone do you recommend? Does it make a difference if I use a sinus wave or e.g. white noise?

Depends on precision. If you're looking at within 2db, then either will be fine as long as you can get consistent peaks.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 03:39:40 PM »
Guys, out of these two, which portable charger (powerbank) do you think is a better fit for USBPre2? http://www.androidauthority.com/sony-battery-packs-261830
I already have the smaller, 5000mAh battery, but have the opportunity to also get the larger, 10000mAh battery with a discount. Do you think the smaller
one is more than enough? Also, can the larger one possibly damage the USBPre2 with its higher output? I like the larger one because of its capacity if it's confirmed to generate no issues. Also, it has an AC adapter -- unlike the smaller one.
I've used a Velcro to secure the battery to the top of the USBPre2 and it's a great fit.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 07:20:26 PM »
I believe either is safe for the USBPre2 but the lower amp one will burn at a slightly slower rate, but you only have 5000mah so, I guess do some math and see if it matters enough.

I have a 10000mah jackery battery that has a low amp and higher amp jack. I use the lower amp jack if I only have one device but it's nice to have a second one now and then. Dr-2d can run off it for example, as well as I can charge my phone if I need to.

I haven't timed it but I can run my pre2 providing phantom for a loooong time on this battery.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »
I believe either is safe for the USBPre2 but the lower amp one will burn at a slightly slower rate, but you only have 5000mah so, I guess do some math and see if it matters enough.

I have a 10000mah jackery battery that has a low amp and higher amp jack. I use the lower amp jack if I only have one device but it's nice to have a second one now and then. Dr-2d can run off it for example, as well as I can charge my phone if I need to.

I haven't timed it but I can run my pre2 providing phantom for a loooong time on this battery.
Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I should first look for a 10000mAh battery with the output characteristics of this 5000mAh one. The USB portable charger market is so crowded and confusing that one might be lost trying to find the right one.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »

Thanks for pointing that out. Guess I should first look for a 10000mAh battery with the output characteristics of this 5000mAh one. The USB portable charger market is so crowded and confusing that one might be lost trying to find the right one.

agreed. tough to know what's good. I have a feeling that most of them are pretty much the same on the inside. I took a chance and ordered the jackery and have been happy. can't say I did  a lot of research beforehand tho.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Fast-Charging-Aluminum-Portable-12000mAh/dp/B00AANQLRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407419098&sr=8-1&keywords=jackery+giant

My mistake! It's actually 12000maH! :P

Haven't had it too long, a couple months I think but it's a solid aluminum body and it fits in my bag well right next to the DVD batteries my R-44 runs on. Uses micro-usb input to charge which takes a while, but usually I can go out to 2-3 shows and then leave it charging over night and I'm in pretty good shape.

The tekkeon 3450i batteries that have both the tekkeon adapter cable jack and a dedicated USB jack might be worth considering but they're a lot more expensive. You could provide power to D-100 and power the USBpre2 at the same time I believe, internal batteries as backup in the D-100.

When my DVD batteries start to crap out I may do that. acidjack runs his R-44 and USBpre2 off one of those as I recall.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:53:10 AM by Ultfris101 »
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »
agreed. tough to know what's good. I have a feeling that most of them are pretty much the same on the inside. I took a chance and ordered the jackery and have been happy. can't say I did  a lot of research beforehand tho.

http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Fast-Charging-Aluminum-Portable-12000mAh/dp/B00AANQLRI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407419098&sr=8-1&keywords=jackery+giant

My mistake! It's actually 12000maH! :P

Haven't had it too long, a couple months I think but it's a solid aluminum body and it fits in my bag well right next to the DVD batteries my R-44 runs on. Uses micro-usb input to charge which takes a while, but usually I can go out to 2-3 shows and then leave it charging over night and I'm in pretty good shape.

The tekkeon 3450i batteries that have both the tekkeon adapter cable jack and a dedicated USB jack might be worth considering but they're a lot more expensive. You could provide power to D-100 and power the USBpre2 at the same time I believe, internal batteries as backup in the D-100.

When my DVD batteries start to crap out I may do that. acidjack runs his R-44 and USBpre2 off one of those as I recall.
First off, you have a solid, enviable assortment of gear -- I love them! :)
Thanks for your great points. I didn't know that we could put the tekkeon 3450i to such an interesting dual use. I'll take a closer look at that. Of course, the $199 price tag might not be a deterrent to many, but the 450G weight might be. And speaking of these batteries, the Energizer XP18000A Rechargeable Power Pack can essentially perform the very same dual task -- if I'm not mistaken -- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/911628-REG/energizer_xp18000a_emergency_power_for_notebooks.html/prm/alsVwDtl
It costs $169, but weighs 520G -- ouch!

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 02:06:35 PM »
Sort of an oddity; my tekkeon battery finally bit the dust (age more than usage or damage), so I didn't want to blow a lot of money on another one when I primarily used it for taping and to charge my phone. Looking at the USBPre2's stats, I saw that it doesn't take more than USB power, and even with P48 on and everything, it typically draws less than 500mah with one exception; when it fires up it can draw the full amp. (I think SD told me it's like 450mah, but anyway). So I've been using a cell phone charging battery with mine; 4000mah with 2 USB ports of 2.1a and I think the other is 1a. It's about 1/8th the size of the pre2, and easily 1/5th the size of the tekkeon I was using. The clutch piece is finding a battery that will provide just over 1 amp so you can get it turned on. After that the draw is low enough that I wasn't worried.

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 02:27:47 PM »
I just picked up a Duracell DU7170 4000mAh battery at a local Officemax for $14.  This thing is tiny and will provide up to 5v/2.1A!  After a charge I powered up my USBPre2 with it and it ran for over 6 hours with P48 before I shut it down and it still had juice to spare.  If nothing else it is a great spare to keep in my bag for any of the 5V devices I have which is nearly everything these days.
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »
I just picked up a Duracell DU7170 4000mAh battery at a local Officemax for $14.  This thing is tiny and will provide up to 5v/2.1A!  After a charge I powered up my USBPre2 with it and it ran for over 6 hours with P48 before I shut it down and it still had juice to spare.  If nothing else it is a great spare to keep in my bag for any of the 5V devices I have which is nearly everything these days.

Yep. I have something similar. I tape a show with it, and then charge my phone on the trip home (to draw down the battery and get some use out of it instead of just taping).

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 03:14:35 PM »
Sort of an oddity; my tekkeon battery finally bit the dust (age more than usage or damage), so I didn't want to blow a lot of money on another one when I primarily used it for taping and to charge my phone. Looking at the USBPre2's stats, I saw that it doesn't take more than USB power, and even with P48 on and everything, it typically draws less than 500mah with one exception; when it fires up it can draw the full amp. (I think SD told me it's like 450mah, but anyway). So I've been using a cell phone charging battery with mine; 4000mah with 2 USB ports of 2.1a and I think the other is 1a. ...
So if, for instance, I get a 10000mAh battery with an output of 3.6A per USB port, would it damage the USBPre2, or would I just burn the battery capacity more rapidly without putting the USBPre2 in danger? With most new USB batteries the focus has shifted toward higher output per port for faster device charges, but I don't know how this might affect devices which might not need that much power to operate -- the USBPre2 is one of them.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:18:04 PM by Amir »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »
So if, for instance, I get a 10000mAh battery with an output of 3.6A per USB port, would it damage the USBPre2, or would I just burn the battery capacity more rapidly without putting the USBPre2 in danger? With most new USB batteries the focus has shifted toward higher output per port for faster device charges, but I don't know how this might affect devices which might not need that much power to operate -- the USBPre2 is one of them.

Neither. The battery rating of 3.6a is the max it will output. If the device requests less, it uses less. The catch that I noted was that the pre2 requests around a full amp to turn on, but otherwise draws around half an amp. So in your example:

(10000mah / 500ma draw) * 25% reduction in efficiency & safety = around 15 hours of battery life.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

Neither. The battery rating of 3.6a is the max it will output. If the device requests less, it uses less. The catch that I noted was that the pre2 requests around a full amp to turn on, but otherwise draws around half an amp. So in your example:

(10000mah / 500ma draw) * 25% reduction in efficiency & safety = around 15 hours of battery life.
Thanks for shedding light on that. Currently I'm using a 5000mAh USB battery and, given your great explanation, will get a 10000mAh soon.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
It's voltage that you have to be concerned with; over-volting is largely a bad idea.

Offline Amir

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 02:54:04 PM »
It's voltage that you have to be concerned with; over-volting is largely a bad idea.
That's true. Most of these batteries are DC 5V ones, meaning they can't recharge laptop batteries unless it's clearly mentioned. Do you think this one is OK? Sony CP-F10L: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/cp-f10l

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2014, 12:05:03 PM »
I'm getting some little high-pitched "blips" that SEEM to be occurring when I shift my bag a little to check levels etc, but I haven't been able to isolate yet. Not frequent but noticeable.

Very similar to the sound I hear if I have headphones on as I power down the USBPre2 so it makes me think it's either the power being supplied from the battery or a cable supplying power to the mics. Pretty sure a connection in the KCY>PFA adapter cable is getting loose and I thought that was the issue but I'm pretty sure it occurred recently when I was running CMC6s > XLRs too.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:03 PM »
two possibilities; a power problem as you've already pointed at (and that can be tested), the other would be a chip failure. My first unit had a chip in the adc/dac/clock areas start to fail and it started like what you're describing before slowly gaining steam. SD took care of that and swapped units (I was still in the first year with that). If I were you, I'd test the power first and then talk to SD about it if connecting to a wall outlet or phone charger with a different cable doesn't point to your power cable.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
Digital signal issue was the right track. My SPDIF cable was loose. I made one with an RG-6 F-connector jumper I had and two right angle F > RCA adapters. One of the screws was a little loose.

Glad that's all it was!

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »
I just got a new USB Pre2 very sweet little unit!

Sorry if this has been covered previously:
I am wondering if in the standalone (ie battery usb powered) as a mic pre to DR-680 via the coax spdif out to the Dr-680 is the standard 24 bit?
I see there are tons of dip switch selections for setting satnd alone sample rate, but where or how does the bit rate get set?

Also would everyone recommend running the -15db pad for most types of rock fob or onstage mic'ing?

Mostly I got this to run my new matched pair of Milab DC-196's into.

thanks in advance for further knowledge.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2014, 04:58:07 AM »
Yes- you will want to run it with pads enacted almost all the time except for the quietest sources, assuming you are using condenser mics.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
Yes- you will want to run it with pads enacted almost all the time except for the quietest sources, assuming you are using condenser mics.

Yes p48 LD Milab DC-196... Pad engaged.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
I just got a new USB Pre2 very sweet little unit!

Sorry if this has been covered previously:
I am wondering if in the standalone (ie battery usb powered) as a mic pre to DR-680 via the coax spdif out to the Dr-680 is the standard 24 bit?
I see there are tons of dip switch selections for setting stand alone sample rate, but where or how does the bit rate get set?

Mostly I got this to run my new matched pair of Milab DC-196's into.

thanks in advance for further knowledge.

--Ian

???? :headphones: :headphones: :headphones: :headphones:
24 bit standard?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
anyone running the usbpre2 on windoze 10 yet?

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
As a direct reply to "ArchivalAudio": The USBPre 2's A/D converters are always in 24-bit mode; unlike earlier "USBPre" models, there is no setting for 16-bit quantization.

--best regards

music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »
As a direct reply to "ArchivalAudio": The USBPre 2's A/D converters are always in 24-bit mode; unlike earlier "USBPre" models, there is no setting for 16-bit quantization.

--best regards
DSatz, thank you! this does answer my question and as I suspected since I couldn't figure out (or want) to switch to 16bit.
Merry Christmas!
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2022, 07:44:31 PM »
I just got one of these units today.....however there is no USB cable.I'd like to get a right angled one,is this one i linked the proper connectors??? I have never seen that type of connector on any devices i have owned.

If not please link what i'll need i'd like to order it tonight,Thanks for any insight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SR71Q67/ref=vp_d_cpf-substitute-widget_pd?_encoding=UTF8&pf_rd_p=a47a2286-028e-45ed-8e01-2783b018d258&pf_rd_r=Z80XM8TKYFN9R5ZK53P9&pd_rd_wg=rdQEt&pd_rd_i=B07SR71Q67&pd_rd_w=i7lyL&content-id=amzn1.sym.a47a2286-028e-45ed-8e01-2783b018d258&pd_rd_r=805c4935-c547-4d61-94c2-c5c5a0ba8c6c

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2022, 08:03:40 PM »
That cable above is a 3.0 and looks goofy to me.. don’t get that one.

You want 2.0 USB A to USB B

USBPre2..  best box ever IMO.
Good grab!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/944346-REG/startech_usb2hab2ra3_3_right_angles_usb_a_to.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 08:46:52 PM by yug du nord »

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2022, 08:45:27 PM »
That cable above is a 3.0 and looks goofy to me.. don’t get that one.

You want a 1.0 or 2.0 USB A to USB B

USBPre2..  best box ever IMO.
Good grab!!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/944346-REG/startech_usb2hab2ra3_3_right_angles_usb_a_to.html

Thanks!

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2022, 10:06:39 PM »
Link to battery to use with this please.

Offline yug du nord

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2022, 10:43:28 PM »
Link to battery to use with this please.

I like Anker.
My USB batteries are 13,000 mAh and are all pretty old, but still work great.
The ones that I use only have the standard USB-A outputs.
It seems all the newer ones have USB-A and USB-C outputs and are “smarter” technology.
https://us.anker.com/collections/power-banks?sort_by=best-selling

Anker sells on eBay too under the name ‘ankerdirect’.

I would assume that any 5v USB battery pack that puts out 1A or more would work just as good.. but Anker has served me well.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 10:49:05 PM by yug du nord »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.229 seconds with 91 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com