Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ipod's with flac playback and digital out?  (Read 3448 times)

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
Ipod's with flac playback and digital out?
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
are there any mp3 players on the market (or soon) that playback FLAC and have digital outputs?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Ipod's with flac playback and digital out?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:28:38 PM »
are there any mp3 players on the market (or soon) that playback FLAC and have digital outputs?

Check the rockbox forums. The h100 series from iriver did.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

nathan_g

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
I'm guessing since you specified 'Ipod' that you're looking for a portable device...but if you're interested in a home player...

I use a Western Digital TV Mini and/or TV Live (I have both). They have optical/digi out, are limited in capacity only by hard drive size and are very reasonably priced. The TV Live can stream audio/video via WiFi. The vanilla firmware is a bit clunky but if you're feeling adventurous, there are a number of nice looking homebrew firmwares available. The menu system can frustrate at first but if you have a fairly well organized file/folder structure it works quite nicely.

TV Mini (discontinued but can be had via ebay, amazon, etc. for about $30)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136416

TV Live (I have the older model...same basic specs)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136997

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
Very cool- thanks for the info. That's quite an affordable laptop interface, for both TV and audio. And I didn't realize my iRiver had digi out, I thought it was only digi in. A receiver with digital in is on my short list of upgrades.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
The original R-09 has optical SPDIF out on the headphone jack, not a dedicated player and only plays WAV and MP3 (no FLAC) but I use one for portable playback sometimes.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »

Check the rockbox forums. The h100 series from iriver did.

They do.  That's what I've been using for years.  I just bought another ihp140 off ebay in mint condition, but I had to pay $125 for it... the iHp120's used to be plentiful on ebay, but they are fewer now.  Just keep looking and you will find one.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com