Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Bit Bucket Project  (Read 20576 times)

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Raspberry Pi Bit Bucket Project
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
You could just pick up a used Tascam HD-P2 for about $250-350 and call it a night (seem to be easily had for under $300 on ebay right now)

It accepts 24bit up to 192Khz on it's SPDIF

this would be less than 1/4 of the size and 1/4 of the cost

It may be smaller - but after all the additional components, caseing, screen, etc I doubt it will be much less then $150 - this doesn't include all the additional time

It would be a neat project but it's not going to be 1/4 the cost
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »
You could just pick up a used Tascam HD-P2 for about $250-350 and call it a night (seem to be easily had for under $300 on ebay right now)

It accepts 24bit up to 192Khz on it's SPDIF

this would be less than 1/4 of the size and 1/4 of the cost

It may be smaller - but after all the additional components, caseing, screen, etc I doubt it will be much less then $150 - this doesn't include all the additional time

It would be a neat project but it's not going to be 1/4 the cost

ok, less than half the cost and well under 1/4 of the size. and the time... well thats the fun part
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:33:40 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
Some of you are missing the point of the Pi...FUN!

I've made dozens of things out of mine. For me it's not actually using it for whatever I get it to do...it's figuring out how to get it to do shit. Once I get it working it's almost a certainty that I will soon lose interest in what it does and move on to something else.

My next project is to make a old school video game emulator (mainly for old Nintendo games).

I'd really like to try to make a remotely accessible recorder that I could leave at a club and log into from home to record shows. Doubtful I'd ever get around to that, but would be really cool if I could find a club willing to let me leave it there.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 05:32:46 PM »
amen brother

ill get a pi and soundcard board and report back
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 03:01:48 AM »
Some of you are missing the point of the Pi...FUN!

I've made dozens of things out of mine. For me it's not actually using it for whatever I get it to do...it's figuring out how to get it to do shit. Once I get it working it's almost a certainty that I will soon lose interest in what it does and move on to something else.

My next project is to make a old school video game emulator (mainly for old Nintendo games).

I'd really like to try to make a remotely accessible recorder that I could leave at a club and log into from home to record shows. Doubtful I'd ever get around to that, but would be really cool if I could find a club willing to let me leave it there.
If you manage to do any of this, it would be great.
I would pay for an application that does this that runs as an extremely basic Windows application.
The best USB card I could find is, Digigram CanCUN, two and four channel USB, mic preamp, p48.

I've got the four input card now.  It has a popup mixer under Win7.  Top tier sound.  (TI PGA2500 preamps).

My main interest is that I can use measurement mics with this rig.
Wind Turbines...
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jcb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »
Caution : Noob here !
I understand that you want to go out of a DAC (or any kind of digital signal) to a box that just does storage of the bits generated by the DAC in the audio file format of your choice.
You chose the S/Pdif route but this makes it necessary to use a card such as the Wolfson on the Raspberry PI.
The Usb route would feed into a Raspberry Pi direct (I looked into it a few weeks ago) and you could send the Usb feed to a file through a program such as arecord for example (I tried it on a linux desktop machine fed from a MixPre-D through the Usb connection). One might consider this route with perhaps an extension card on the raspberry to have a minimal screen and 4 push buttons to select options.
Some one (JonStoppable ?) suggested using a smart phone as a bit bucket : the Usb way probably allows this through a program such as USB Audio Recorder PRO (it seems to work at least with Android machines).
I have not been using the Usb connection a lot but it should allow 24/96 two channels without special drivers (just as an Usb audio class device). I doubt that higher rates would be sensible on such processors anyhow.
Well, there was a word of caution at the beginning ...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »
Caution : Noob here !
I understand that you want to go out of a DAC (or any kind of digital signal) to a box that just does storage of the bits generated by the DAC in the audio file format of your choice.
You chose the S/Pdif route but this makes it necessary to use a card such as the Wolfson on the Raspberry PI.
The Usb route would feed into a Raspberry Pi direct (I looked into it a few weeks ago) and you could send the Usb feed to a file through a program such as arecord for example (I tried it on a linux desktop machine fed from a MixPre-D through the Usb connection). One might consider this route with perhaps an extension card on the raspberry to have a minimal screen and 4 push buttons to select options.
Some one (JonStoppable ?) suggested using a smart phone as a bit bucket : the Usb way probably allows this through a program such as USB Audio Recorder PRO (it seems to work at least with Android machines).
I have not been using the Usb connection a lot but it should allow 24/96 two channels without special drivers (just as an Usb audio class device). I doubt that higher rates would be sensible on such processors anyhow.
Well, there was a word of caution at the beginning ...

Welcome to the wild world of audio recording on the go!

This app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudiorecorderpro

I've been tempted to try this app out but I have only two android devices and both are not high end devices. they work for MY needs but I don't know about audio recording.

What android devices are you using? do you have any recordings from it? what bit recording are you using?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »
^ That's awesome!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »
Yeah, he has a trial version too. So it won't cost anything to see how it works.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2014, 05:08:15 PM »
I used an earlier version of that developer's multitrack software with a Nook Color running Android on an N2Acard.  At that time (two years ago I think), it didn't support stereo recording from USB Audio Class devices, but it seems from their site they have that sorted now.  I bought wifey a Nook HD and N2Acard for Christmas, so when I get time to build my latest USB mic incarnation I'll give their latest software a go.

It shouldn't be very resource intensive to record 16/48 stereo audio.  I imagine the $130 Samsung tablet I saw at Staples would do the job just fine.  One thing to check with tablets is if they provide any power from their USB port, most USB microphones and other basic USB audio devices will be low-power (100mA), whereas a USB OTG host is only required to supply 8mA.  The Nook Color worked fine.

I have the nook color HD 16 GB something or other. android 4.0.4 but I guess that's recent enough!
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 12:48:30 AM »
Yeah, he has a trial version too. So it won't cost anything to see how it works.

Thanks for the link.  Will try this out as soon as i can.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
I'm ready for JazzFest!!

Offline burris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Your favorite mics suck.
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »
element14/Wolfson did a good job on this card.  The jacks have through-hole reinforcement though the digis are pretty close together.  Thanks to the huge Pi community, it comes with a kernel compiled with PREEMPT.  So I haven't gotten a single buffer overrun in the 40+ hours of testing I've done with it (got it a week and a half ago), including straight ten and fourteen hour long pulls.  Only uses about three watts while recording and with wifi going!

My code features remote control with any phone/tablet/desktob with wifi and a recent browser, direct to FLAC recording with no file size limit,  really good meters inspired by AD2K+, detects peaks and holds until you reset it even if you don't have your phone out and aren't looking at it, long preroll buffer (I'm using two minutes), stop then start without losing any samples, and a bunch more stuff...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 01:52:59 AM »
boom!!!!

so you wrote that android interface? can you put a parts list together for the project? what are you using for power? is that acrylic case an off the shelf item?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 01:57:45 AM »
Is there is Pi there, or does that card run standalone  ???

yes the pi is the board in the back with the SD slot, usb jack, red LED. the wolfson card is in the front and fits into a pinout on the pi card

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com