Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Small Dual Recording Recorder and Best Zero Handling Lav Mic?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline taperssectionmatt

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm going to be working on a project where the actor will have a lav mic hard wired to a small recorder, and both recorder and lav will be hidden on actor. What I need is the best small dual recording recorder (by dual recording I mean the ability to record the lav to 2 separate channels, 1 at one level, and another one lower volume level, in case the actor yells and clips/blows out the sound). I also need the best lav mic that has the closest to zero handling noise as the actor may be moving vigorously with animated gestures. What would you recommend. (No wireless lavs here, I'm looking for hard wired.)

Thanks in advance, Matt

Offline Boomoperator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Best Small Dual Recording Recorder and Best Zero Handling Lav Mic?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:41:49 AM »
All lavs suffer from contact noise, period. The trick is to fixate it with some padding or moleskin.
And if possible sew the lav in clothes. There's not one way to fixate, it depends on cloth- & fabric type.

But you can't 'set & forget' such a fixture. On a typical day, I'll check & adjust lavs several times.
So I'm always listening, think that's a must - especially with 'vigorously' moving talents..
If you're not monitoring I really suggest you put the mic on clothes, not under. Or use a headworn mic or fixate your lav on the head, near the hairline.

If the mic should really be invisible, consider colour-replacing or retouching techniques with After Effects or the like.
That, or some vigorous dialogue editing & cleaning, up to re-dubbing parts of the vocal. 

Recorder: Zoom H-5, does a -12 dB backup recording, has Phantom power and XLR inputs.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
I also need the best lav mic that has the closest to zero handling noise as the actor may be moving vigorously with animated gestures. What would you recommend. (No wireless lavs here, I'm looking for hard wired.

You may want to check this site:
http://jwsoundgroup.net/
Micing actors is part of their job.

Unfortunately I can't direct you to a specific page, as I lost many of my bookmarks, but you'll find a LOT of very interesting tips and how-to, and useful accessories too.

Hope this helps.

Offline taperssectionmatt

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
@Boomoperator @TSNea Thanks guys for this info - really helpful.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com