Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Alternative to umbrella for omni split  (Read 9840 times)

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
Re: Alternative to umbrella for omni split
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
One thing I noticed about the GD photo is that it looks like the umbrellas are covered by a thin piece of grey foam cut to size. That probably works better than using a towel or other piece of cloth to keep the plopping noise down.

I used two of those cheap umbrellas that clamp to a beach chair to cover my omnis (ADK-TLs no less). The clamp part of the umbrellas went around the stand pole and then I tilted them out and gaffer taped them to the spreader bar. It worked well for keeping them dry but the stand was securely anchored to the ground. If the wind gets high enough to tip that its just not taping weather. The recording didn't come out so great though unless you are after capturing the sound of rain hitting everything around you.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
I saw this neverwet suggestion by Voltronic. I will probably try to get some and treat our BAS screens this way. I am still looking for umbrella suggestions from anyone as we are using AKG 460 actives and 460 pre-amps with our summer mic design.

Also, We may be a bit "over conscious" of the rain situation as at Greyfox last year, the most torrential downpour I've ever recorded in occurred (this is almost 35 years doing this!)
Out of a beautiful Sunny day, some black clouds developed, then the wind got up to 25-30 MPH steady. then the rain came down sideways for almost 20 of the 30 minute storm. We were only there on day tickets, so didn't have all our usual rain protection and got caught with some temporary water damage, mainly connector ends which made us have to shut down and patch out of another set up.
I felt like a rookie!  :o

I don't know a thing about neverwet, but was curious enough to google for reviews.  I suggest you do the same before treating anything valuable. 

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
I saw this neverwet suggestion by Voltronic. I will probably try to get some and treat our BAS screens this way. I am still looking for umbrella suggestions from anyone as we are using AKG 460 actives and 460 pre-amps with our summer mic design.

Also, We may be a bit "over conscious" of the rain situation as at Greyfox last year, the most torrential downpour I've ever recorded in occurred (this is almost 35 years doing this!)
Out of a beautiful Sunny day, some black clouds developed, then the wind got up to 25-30 MPH steady. then the rain came down sideways for almost 20 of the 30 minute storm. We were only there on day tickets, so didn't have all our usual rain protection and got caught with some temporary water damage, mainly connector ends which made us have to shut down and patch out of another set up.
I felt like a rookie!  :o

I don't know a thing about neverwet, but was curious enough to google for reviews.  I suggest you do the same before treating anything valuable.

I ruined the diaphragms in my TL's last summer in a rainstorm with umbrellas.  I learned a valuable lesson, do whatever you can to protect your mics or pay the price $$$.
Barrett Miller
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
^^^^^^^^ Yes, better safe than sorry!
I am thinking I have to send the PMD 661 to Oade for maintenance as it seems to have a click in every recording now, maybe because enough water got down the cables into the connectors!  :o
Good thing we bought the 680!   8)
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com