Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 15722 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Windows 10
« on: October 01, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
About to install it in VMware.

Hopefully it doesn't suck as bad as Windows 8. I'll report back with my observations.

I am amused that they decided to skip over Windows 9. I wonder how the thought process at MS works. Damn they are dumb.

Anyone else going to give it a go?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
Good luck.

I don't find W8 sucks though it was far from user friendly out of the box; esp that disaster called "metro" interface - which may have been fine if one had a touch screen but for the consumer used to a "normal" desktop, it was a rude experience.

Skipping 9; why try to emulate Apple and it's osX? MS, why not go for 11?

Not going to try it at this point and probably won't in the future. I've finally gotten 8 where I like it though I did have to load a backup after last month's update screwed up enough things I just decided to roll back to what worked for me rather than attempt to correct all the things that got changed. Combine that experience with me loading 8's Developers Preview and liking it only to see it become less user-friendly and more bloated with each pre-beta, beta, alpha, and RC that MS rolled out and I'll avoid the disappointment this time.

Awaiting new parts so I can build a replacement box for one that had an electrical problem, then I'll slimdown this box, take it offline and use it as a DAW only. I'll load a newer flavor of Linux on the new box and use it for my everyday/online box.

Incidentally, I do look forward to your impressions of 9/10.

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »
I refuse to use 8, not likely to give 10 a try

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:22:11 AM »
Well, I'm not really going to go all out and install all of my programs on Win10, but so far it's pretty good. WAY better than Windows 8. Slightly better than Windows 7.

Things should mostly be familiar to a Windows 7 user. A few minor changes. And  a few improvements.

I really like the multiple desktops. I've used those with Ubuntu and it's nice to keep different tasks on different desktops. I'll have one that I use for just web browsing and another for audio editing.

Also I really like the way you can snap windows to more than just the left and right side or top/bottom of the desktop. You can now snap them to corners so you can have 3 or 4.

When Windows 7 came out (after the Vista debacle) I thought...wow, this will be popular. I pretty much think the same about Windows 10 so far.

Worth a try for sure. I wouldn't run this as my main OS, but in a VM it's worth checking out.

Looking forward to building a new computer when the full version is released.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
put it on a virtualbox last night and like it so far.

Folks that hate on win 8/8.1 need to try it with start 8 or classic shell.  once you tweak it 8.1 is a great os.  and it only takes very minor tweaking.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »
When Windows 7 came out (after the Vista debacle) I thought...wow, this will be popular. I pretty much think the same about Windows 10 so far.

I've begun to think that MS purposely releases crapola OSs every other one so that when they release the follow up OS anything will look better in comparison.  ;)

In all seriousness, I'm happy with Window 7 after the lackluster experiences I've had with 8.  And yes, I've tried Classic Shell and a few other enhancements for Win8 and I still didn't care for that OS.  Compounded by the fact that I had several perfectly-working programs that would not run on 8, Win7 has everything I need for the time being. 

That said, I am interested in what the new OS brings to the table but I'm not ready to be a tester.  Please keep us posted on your experience with Windows 10, Mike.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »
If you're happy with Windows 7 I don't think Windows 10 is worth upgrading to if you're not going to upgrade your computer.

I thought Windows 7 was a huge upgrade over XP/Vista. Windows 10 is a slight upgrade. Just a few features that Windows 7 doesn't have. I suspect you could probably add most of those features to Windows 7 with aftermarket programs.

Since I was planning on upgrading my desktop anyway, I'll be using Windows 10. I'm hoping I can hold out on the desktop upgrade until mid 2015 though. The new Haswell-E processors look pretty nice and I've been editing more video lately so it will be nice to upgrade to a nice fast 6 core machine.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
I LOVE the ribboned explorer introduced in 8.  It's way faster all around as well.  I like 10 in the virtual box and think it will be very nice once they are done.  hopefully cheap upgrades like they did with 8.  rumored to be free but I can't see them doing that.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Marshall7

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
once you tweak it 8.1 is a great os.  and it only takes very minor tweaking.

Why should you need to tweak it at all?  At this point I would expect MS should be able to provide a product that doesn't need tweaking, especially when they pretty much forced retailers to stop selling machines with Windows 7 in favor of 8.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
it takes all of 3 minutes to add a start menu, disable "hot corners" and set it to boot to desktop.  There's also a way to disable the lock screen that take one second or less.  It really is a great os once you forget about the "metro" gui which I spend zero time in.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »
put it on a virtualbox last night and like it so far.

Folks that hate on win 8/8.1 need to try it with start 8 or classic shell.  once you tweak it 8.1 is a great os.  and it only takes very minor tweaking.

This ^^^

I've run W8 for the last year and a half.  No problems what so ever.  Great OS.  My machine boots up to the W7 GUI and I have the Classic Start button installed.

That said, if folks hate W8, they'll hate W10.  There's no going backwards. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:54:15 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 06:41:27 PM »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 06:56:59 PM »
Well, there had to be something to gripe about:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/10/05/1222201/test-version-windows-10-includes-keylogger

I don't think that necessarily means that MS is collecting EVERY keystroke, but have to include that because some function collects some keystrokes.

I know things like Skype say they have access to your webcam...but that is because it's a function of the program. I suspect this is similar. MS collecting EVERY keystroke would be idiotic on their part, especially if it's for the purpose of data mining. If word got out that they were doing that they'd put themselves out of business. There would be a mass exodus to OS X and Linux.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 08:47:53 PM »
http://bgr.com/2014/10/03/windows-10-privacy-policy/
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2373838/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-permission-to-watch-your-every-move

To further improve its upcoming desktop operating system, Microsoft says it may collect even more data about users. “Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks,” the Windows 10 preview terms state. “Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage."

"We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and "use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing."

In other words, Windows can collect your voice and anything you say, which is quite intrusive.

But we're only just getting started. The killer statement says, "If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features."

In other words, in effect, you are giving permission for Microsoft to screen your files, and in effect keylog your keyboard input. Renowned Windows blogger Mary Jo Foley recently said, "I've heard Microsoft built a new real-time telemetry system codenamed 'Asimov' (yes, another Halo-influenced codename) that lets the OS team see in near real-time what's happening on users' machines."

Sounds a little unscrupulous to me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:55:00 PM by Fried Chicken Boy »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 09:23:25 PM »
Well, there had to be something to gripe about:

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/10/05/1222201/test-version-windows-10-includes-keylogger

I don't think that necessarily means that MS is collecting EVERY keystroke, but have to include that because some function collects some keystrokes.

I know things like Skype say they have access to your webcam...but that is because it's a function of the program. I suspect this is similar. MS collecting EVERY keystroke would be idiotic on their part, especially if it's for the purpose of data mining. If word got out that they were doing that they'd put themselves out of business. There would be a mass exodus to OS X and Linux.

Ever wonder what MS does with all of those error reports from system crashes, etc.?      :hmmm:
They must have gotten billions and billions of them.

We used to say in the 60s, never trust the Man.
My story and I'm sticking to it.

Let's see if EFF has comment in a week or two.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com