Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How far back is too far?  (Read 27171 times)

Offline geoff piper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
How far back is too far?
« on: March 25, 2003, 05:38:40 PM »
Hey guys how far back is too far to run in a venue? Is everything up to the back edge of the soundboard acceptable as far as sound quality goes?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re:How far back is too far?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2003, 05:43:40 PM »
It really depends on the venue and the acoustics. For instance, in most arena's the closer the better. But I have found the opposite to be true in a few venue's, all depends on where the sweet spot is. Case in point is the Webester Theater in Hartford, CT. FOB upfront in there and the tapes sound like dodo. Move back dead center behind the board and it sounds 10 times better
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 05:47:20 PM »
anyone have experience with venunes like SPAC and Tweeter center in Camden, NJ, Darien lake and Meadows... I am just wondering becuase I'm kinda worried that my seats are going to be in the 30x-40x level and want to know if its worth running

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2003, 07:32:12 PM »
300's at Darien lake will be fine, that taper section for Trey was in the 300's tapes came out nice. A lot of people tape at the edge of the lawn, but I don't see how that would sound good, get's a little boomey under the tent at Darien, have your hypers ready unless you can get dead center up front.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

DaryanLenz

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 07:42:31 PM »
My philosophy is, at least for the bigger shows, the closer the better, because you know for damn sure there are other tapers farther back!

Daryan

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 08:11:03 PM »
That's one of the big reason's I love the Allmans. They let you tape where ever you can score tickets....wish more bands did that.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2003, 09:59:46 PM »
300's at Darien lake will be fine, that taper section for Trey was in the 300's tapes came out nice. A lot of people tape at the edge of the lawn, but I don't see how that would sound good, get's a little boomey under the tent at Darien, have your hypers ready unless you can get dead center up front.

reason they tape on the FOL at Darien Lake is because of the proximity of some smokin' repeator stacks that hang on the back of the 'tent'.  the front of the 'lawn' is only separated from these stacks by maybe a 10' wide walking path/ chain link fence.  that, and the pole the stack is mounted on leans back towards the lawn as well.    

ostensibly, you can make a 'stack tape' directly from front of lawn.  have done it.  sounds fantastic.  got some sick Keller/ Ratdog/ Karl Denson from 'So Many Roads' tour a coupla years ago.  i can provide samples if anyone wants.  

peace

~S

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 10:06:14 PM »
I was planning on getting mics in the next few weeks, my original plan was MG M300's but since i have not bought them yet that might change. Now if i run from the 300's will i be able to tell or will it sound closer to the source than it is? Thanks again

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2003, 10:10:31 PM »
nice, I totally forgot about the repeaters, will have to keep that in mind next time I tape at Darien.

The M300's are fixed cards so know it won't sound closer that it is. For that sound you really need hyper or shotgun caps.
In Tyler we Trust

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2003, 11:57:12 PM »
Geoff,

Get the m210's.  They are not all that much more and you can change capsules...and sound better!  Then save up, and get the cards when you get the loot.  I run strictly cards at the moment and they are incredible.  Probably the last pair of mics I will ever use (well, sd mics anyway).  

Daryan

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2003, 12:06:00 AM »
Geoff,

Get the m210's.  They are not all that much more and you can change capsules...and sound better!  Then save up, and get the cards when you get the loot.  I run strictly cards at the moment and they are incredible.  Probably the last pair of mics I will ever use (well, sd mics anyway).  

Daryan

how much would a set run me? behind it i would be running PS2>Line transformers>D-100...

Offline hippies

• Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2003, 08:08:33 AM »
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1437;start=15

;)

ahhh yes... completely forgot about that... do the 210's come up for sale use once in a while? and what kinda of price should i expect? In case i talk to gprime and they dont go for that deal

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2003, 09:41:06 AM »
That's one of the big reason's I love the Allmans. They let you tape where ever you can score tickets....wish more bands did that.

They do, the ABB and DMB are the two bands that are the most well known for having the most relaxed taping policy....

Nick

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2003, 09:58:37 AM »
GPrime no longer sells the Gefells.  Check out Gotham Audio Canada for good prices on the MG mics.  They don't accept credit cards, but if you have the cash ready, you can get a really good deal.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com