Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quality of oade warm mod pmd661 preamps?  (Read 8444 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
quality of oade warm mod pmd661 preamps?
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:01:18 AM »
proud new owner of smokydays' warm mod 661. Bought it as a bit bucket but am impressed with its all-in-oneness.

of course doug does awesome work, i was looking for thoughts on the preamps in this vs my other options:

-tiny box
-pcm-m10

i have two options for the tinybox, i can run CMRs or the nbobs. obviously the nbobs require the tinybox or something (like a PFA?) for power

so with the marantz id be running something like:

cmr>battery box> pmd 661 mic in
nbobs>pfa>pmd 661 mic in

vs.

(cmr or nbobs)>tinybox>pmd661 line in

im used to using my preamp in my m10 in low-pro situations, and its pretty decent. i expect more out of the marantz! tell me about it...

more to the point what can i expect in sound for the warm mod pre vs tinybox vs m10 pre

in general im not a big fan of 'warm' as it can sometimes border on 'dark'

i generally like it 'bright' and 'transparent', like say schoeps>v2>ad2k
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:38:42 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: quality of oade warm mod pmd661 preamps?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 09:26:44 AM »
I can only tell you I went with the transparent (Doug calls it: Concert) mod. After speaking with Doug and telling him I use AKG's primarily, he said I should choose between warm and transparent (Concert mod).
If you really have questions, you can always call Doug. But I think you are looking for others who use the warm mod to tell you their opinions of it in action?
if so, I let this sit here with my seemingly OT comments!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:12:54 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:31:45 AM »
I've had a few of Doug's preamps as well as one of the first Warm mods in my FR-2. I never found them to be dark, they always allowed the high end of my AKG's shine while providing excellent bass response. I don't think warm (in this case) should be confused with dark, I always considered it to be more of a smoothing of some of the high end peaks which I could find almost grating to my ears FWIW. The only way to decide is for you to run it for yourself & see how you like it. If you have other decks at your disposal maybe run them as well with splitters & compare afterwards? That's my preferred method when comparing sounds of particular items.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:49 AM »
proud new owner of smokydays' warm mod 661. Bought it as a bit bucket but am impressed with its all-in-oneness.

of course doug does awesome work, i was looking for thoughts on the preamps in this vs my other options:

-tiny box
-pcm-m10

i have two options for the tinybox, i can run CMRs or the nbobs. obviously the nbobs require the tinybox or something (like a PFA?) for power

so with the marantz id be running something like:

cmr>battery box> pmd 661 mic in
nbobs>pfa>pmd 661 mic in

vs.

(cmr or nbobs)>tinybox>pmd661 line in

im used to using my preamp in my m10 in low-pro situations, and its pretty decent. i expect more out of the marantz! tell me about it...

more to the point what can i expect in sound for the warm mod pre vs tinybox vs m10 pre

in general im not a big fan of 'warm' as it can sometimes border on 'dark'

i generally like it 'bright' and 'transparent', like say schoeps>v2>ad2k

Then you bought the wrong box, unless you want it as a bit bucket. I love it, but based on what you like, I can't see how you will. Nice detail, but very round warm low end. Check out Dougs description, this is spot on. It's on the bottom.

http://www.oade.com
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 12:04:33 PM »
I'll add that to me, the wmod sounds so good that I only run the 148 when it's convenient....if not traveling. The 661 pres are fantastic, and I would not even consider running an outboard adc. And I've owned and run three adks, a 2k, v3....I just don't think they would add anything to this box but weight and hassle. If you prefer a more transparent sound Doug can mod for you at a pretty modest cost.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:01:31 PM »
41's > Wmod661 have been sweet for me. 
A rounded bottom end is a good term...  bottom end is not tight.  But it sounds great to me.  Very musical IMO.
Not dark sounding at all to me. 
I ran an Aerco > Wmod661 a couple of times, and that combo was a bit thick IMO.
Run your TB > XLR's for Wmod...  or TB > mini plug input to bypass Wmod.

If low pro, maybe tape the gain knob..  mine can move fairly easily.
I usually use the 661 as a bit bucket, but I have no fears running it as an all-in-one.

I know the Concert mod 661 is transparent if that's what you're looking for.
With a transparent pre amp though and an external ADC in you arsenal, the Wmod661 is a great deck to have.  Many options.
The 661 also has a pretty good wired remote that can come in handy for low pro stuff.

Great great deck IMO!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:15 PM »
I didn't know this until recently, but very, very few Doug mods touched the line stage. He did them at first but since most seemed to be purchasing the unit as an all in one, he dropped the line in mod and just modded the mic stage. So the only way you get the mod effects is running mic in.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 12:30:34 PM »
I didn't know this until recently, but very, very few Doug mods touched the line stage. He did them at first but since most seemed to be purchasing the unit as an all in one, he dropped the line in mod and just modded the mic stage. So the only way you get the mod effects is running mic in.

I'm pretty sure that is not true for the PMD661. The XLR inputs are physically switchable between mic and line, but the input capacitors and op-amps are shared, recalling what Doug told me on the phone when I was first looking into the 661. He said the warm mod has upgraded input capacitors and the stock bipolar transistors are swapped out with FETs, but only on the XLR inputs, line-in or mic-in. The Line-in (2) that is the small 1/8th input is not impacted by any of the mods he does.

I bought one of the first warm modded 661s from Doug in March of 2009, and I love it. I usually run outboard preamps, but I haven't been disapointed the handful of times I ran my AKGs directly into the 661, which is the main reason I got the warm mod..

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 02:02:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure that is not true for the PMD661. The XLR inputs are physically switchable between mic and line, but the input capacitors and op-amps are shared, recalling what Doug told me on the phone when I was first looking into the 661. He said the warm mod has upgraded input capacitors and the stock bipolar transistors are swapped out with FETs, but only on the XLR inputs, line-in or mic-in. The Line-in (2) that is the small 1/8th input is not impacted by any of the mods he does.

I bought one of the first warm modded 661s from Doug in March of 2009, and I love it. I usually run outboard preamps, but I haven't been disapointed the handful of times I ran my AKGs directly into the 661, which is the main reason I got the warm mod..

He flat out told me the complete opposite last month....that only mic in is modded.  ???

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 02:39:22 PM »

He flat out told me the complete opposite last month....that only mic in is modded.  ???

^

Hi Marc,

Did you ever get clarification from Doug on this?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
Kinda forgot about it, sorry.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
From Doug a few months back. I normally wouldn't paste in an email but we're not dealing with a controversy here I don't think, just clarification. Modded or not the line stage sounds great to me.

"Marc, the first year or so I did upgrade both. However, most folks didn't care to pay for a line in upgrade so I dropped it along with the price of the upgrade. Now only the mic in is upgraded.
Most tapers like to have a modded 661 for the times they do not use an external preamp so most tapers order upgraded 661s. BTW, I like line 2 in for use with an external preamp, the only downside is no locking connector. Sometimes we have plenty of space to setup, other times space is insanely tight, that's when I demand locking connectors and my gear in a beer/soda spill proof bag.
I hope this helps....Doug."

Offline 404 Not Found

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:49 PM »
Doug did my WMOD to my 661, 6 or 7 yrs ago and it is only for the XLR in's.  The WMOD is not in affect for my "Line-in" on my unit and that was told to me by Doug prior to having the mod. S/PDIF goes without saying
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 11:26:07 AM »
Yah, I think Doug and I may have miscommunication, I think he meant that he no longer modifies the 1/8 inch "line 2".

Offline TaperBryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time"
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 04:36:55 PM »
After reading this thread...it occurred to me that I've never ran my wmod 661 without my V3 or psp2. I have some upcoming shows so I may just run 483>wmod661...

09/23/2020 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > NAIANT/pfa > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

03/22/19 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod) and/or Tascam DR-70D

12/17/11 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > EAA PSP-2 and/or Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-661 (Oade Bros. Warm Mod)

02/07/07 rig update: AKG c480b(ck61/62/63) > Canare StarQuad mic cables > Lunatec V3 and/or EAA-PSP2 > ODL-276 > Nomad JB3 and/or Sony TCD-D8 DAT

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com