Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tinybox battery life (over the life of the product)....  (Read 30216 times)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tinybox battery life (over the life of the product)....
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »

Remove the Li-ion battery before returning to me!

Just out of curiosity, what are the reasons for recommending your customers do this prior to return and what are the (legal) ramifications for you and the customer? Not that removing the battery is a hard-thing to do, but you're asking customers to a) open up a delicate pieces of electronics equipment and b) handle a potentially hazardous battery.

As the original manufacturer, are you subject to penalty  if a customer sends their box back to you with the battery in-tact? I wouldn't think you have any legal responsibility for them to do or not to do this. As a customer, are their restrictions and penalties for mailing it as-is? Can individual consumers be held liable for shipping li-ion batteries to you?

I'm not 100% up-to-date on guidelines and restrictions for sending hazardous materials, but I would think that for the average customer it's best not to be worrying about opening up the box and removing the battery. That said, I do appreciate your desire to operate as a legitimate business and play by the rules, as opposed to other home-brew manufacturers.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
Thanks, Jon, that's awesome. I only ask to split hairs, given that the standard position when it comes to product liability is to assume Murphy's law and recommend against self-repair of any kind. "Do not dispose of battery in fire? Challenge accepted!"

The battery attaches to the PCB with a connector, so there is no soldering, no wire cutting involved.  If you somehow break something else (a wire, a capacitor, etc.) in removal I will fix it when I convert it to NiMH.  The main risk is you will scratch the aluminum panels if you aren't careful with the nutdriver (you want to hold the socket very slightly off the face of the panel).

I really appreciate how this was designed. Removing the battery is simple and if you're gentle with the panel screws and connector, the product can be easily user-serviced for a life-time. It wasn't designed with tamper resistant screws, the electronics and connectors aren't covered in potting compound or epoxy, and the enclosure parts are easily replaceable if they do manage to get dinged up.

Having worked with these Hammond enclosures quite bit now, I would add that you don't want to remove the panels when using metal screws any more often than necessary. Like any screw, you can strip the screwhead and after repeated use the screws may no longer hold tightly. That said, a great thing about the design is that everything but the customized face plate can be easily replaced as Hammond sells all the parts individually. If you ding up the back panel, just get a new blank, drill a hole for the power connector, and voila! Even the main part of the enclosure could be replaced once it gets scratched up.

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I have a Tonybox v1.5 and it is still going strong on original battery with plenty of use FWIW
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 05:18:26 AM »
Hi guys,

Have a Tinybox v1.5 from July 2011. Battery is still great - to be honest I never even once ran it empty!

Recently it took a hit when I dropped it and the gain switch lever is now loose and must be replaced.
Jon: if you read this, please check my mail and we'll try to work out something?!

If Jon doesn't read this: does anyone else know the part number for the gain switch or somewhere I can order it online for some DIY work replacement?!

Thanks!
/Jan

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 02:49:24 AM »
A late follow up.  Just ordered replacement Li-ion batteries per the link and there was no hazmat charge.  I assume I can take the existing connector off the existing battery and solder it to the wires from the new battery, so I just purchased bare wire units with no connector.  In any event, very reasonable @$18 plus shipping with no hazmat fee.  I ordered 3 so even shipping was cheap on a per unit basis (@$4 a unit).  Fwiw, their shipping policy does specify the hazmat fee that Jon noted, but it was never added to my charge.  As the fee is per box, if you buy multiple units, the per unit cost of the fee obviously drops if they were to charge it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:53:51 AM by pohaku »
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:25 AM »
Thanks!!  I'll buy a back up I never had my V2 changed over and would rather keep the Li-ion battery since it runs forever using a KCY setup.  Do you remember how much shipping was for 1 battery?

A late follow up.  Just ordered replacement Li-ion batteries per the link and there was no hazmat charge.  I assume I can take the existing connector off the existing battery and solder it to the wires from the new battery, so I just purchased bare wire units with no connector.  In any event, very reasonable @$18 plus shipping with no hazmat fee.  I ordered 3 so even shipping was cheap on a per unit basis (@$4 a unit).  Fwiw, their shipping policy does specify the hazmat fee that Jon noted, but it was never added to my charge.  As the fee is per box, if you buy multiple units, the per unit cost of the fee obviously drops if they were to charge it.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 09:51:10 AM »
Shipping for 3 was $11.43. I have 3 TBs so I didn't price a single.  You might want to wait a couple days to see whether they try and ding me for the hazmat fee when they ship.  I will post again once they notice me for shipping.  Fingers crossed.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »
Will do!!  Thanks for the heads up. 

Shipping for 3 was $11.43. I have 3 TBs so I didn't price a single.  You might want to wait a couple days to see whether they try and ding me for the hazmat fee when they ship.  I will post again once they notice me for shipping.  Fingers crossed.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 02:57:29 PM »
OK.  They did catch it and the hazmat price has gone up.  They now want $42.50 per box for the hazmat fee.  Bummer.  They have also changed the webpage for this item to call attention to this.

I am ordering several of these, so I am still willing to pay the hazmat fee.

Jon, does the rechargeable little box use the same battery?  If it does, I'll order another (for a total of 4) and do a clean sweep of all my Naiant devices.

Edit: - per Jon, little box (hereinafter "LB") uses a different, larger battery:

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1850074v1400mah1036whbatterymodulewithprotectioniclc18500s2r1wr.aspx

Note that the LB battery is UN38.3 passed, so it should not require a hazmat fee if you order one to replace your LB battery.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:37:24 PM by pohaku »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
I have a Tinybox 1.0 with a Li-Ion battery.

What is the behavior I'd expect to see if my battery was going bad?

Recorded last night's Phish show. Made it 50 minutes into the second set and the Tinybox looks like it shut off. I think I checked it about an hour in and noticed no levels and the Tinybox was off (no light). Turned it off and back on again and it was still dead. I would have expected it to start sounding poor (distorted) from the battery dying and slowly getting worse until it died, but it just went from on to off.

Transferred the recording and it goes from a nice sounding recording to nothing in about 1 second...almost like it got switch off by accident, but that didn't happen.

Also...charging question. I never really paid attention to how long it takes to charge, but I plugged it in this morning (obviously it was completely dead), and the light on the charger turned green in about 15 minutes. I know it has to take longer than 15 minutes to charge this thing...should I be concerned about that? I've left it connected to the charger hoping there is a trickle charge now. I'm rolling again tonight for Phish. I'd like to make a complete recording. I did leave the Tinybox on between sets yesterday so I'll keep it turned off unless there is music tonight.

Luckily not a life or death situation at Phish. Nice to make my own recording, but plenty of other tapers to back me up...but I need to figure this out for my next show when I might be the only taper.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Sounds like it is time for a replacement!!  I have a Tinybox v2 and I worry about this issue.  I usually only carry as a backup pre these days.  This thread has links to the battery you would need or Jon will convert your tinybox. 

I have a Tinybox 1.0 with a Li-Ion battery.

What is the behavior I'd expect to see if my battery was going bad?

Recorded last night's Phish show. Made it 50 minutes into the second set and the Tinybox looks like it shut off. I think I checked it about an hour in and noticed no levels and the Tinybox was off (no light). Turned it off and back on again and it was still dead. I would have expected it to start sounding poor (distorted) from the battery dying and slowly getting worse until it died, but it just went from on to off.

Transferred the recording and it goes from a nice sounding recording to nothing in about 1 second...almost like it got switch off by accident, but that didn't happen.

Also...charging question. I never really paid attention to how long it takes to charge, but I plugged it in this morning (obviously it was completely dead), and the light on the charger turned green in about 15 minutes. I know it has to take longer than 15 minutes to charge this thing...should I be concerned about that? I've left it connected to the charger hoping there is a trickle charge now. I'm rolling again tonight for Phish. I'd like to make a complete recording. I did leave the Tinybox on between sets yesterday so I'll keep it turned off unless there is music tonight.

Luckily not a life or death situation at Phish. Nice to make my own recording, but plenty of other tapers to back me up...but I need to figure this out for my next show when I might be the only taper.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 06:05:54 PM by jbell »

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 03:18:18 PM »
^ Yep. I'm thinking of getting the IPA's. I think this is a sign from above that I need a new toy. :D

This looks like the battery. I'll have to double check the Tinybox, but I'll wait until tomorrow to do that. Don't want to fiddle with anything when I have a show to head to in a few hours.

EDIT: Forgot the link.

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1443074v600mah444whbatterymodulesidebysidewithprotectioniclc14430s2r1wr.aspx?variation=8162
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 05:12:16 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 05:12:46 PM »
tinybox runs a voltage converter, so it will die fast and hard with no warning other than the low battery indicator.  All v1s are probably EOL for the battery; those were built six years ago.  The charger behavior is an indication of a bad cell.

EOL meaning that the battery should be dying around now...or EOL meaning you can no longer replace it?

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 05:14:58 PM »
EOL=End of life

tinybox runs a voltage converter, so it will die fast and hard with no warning other than the low battery indicator.  All v1s are probably EOL for the battery; those were built six years ago.  The charger behavior is an indication of a bad cell.

EOL meaning that the battery should be dying around now...or EOL meaning you can no longer replace it?

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 04:07:43 PM »
So I pulled the battery out of my Tinybox. It has a pull off connector so it should be easy to swap out.

The photo of the connector in this link looks a little different. Is it just the photo or is it a different connector they are selling? When it comes down to it, I know I can solder the old connector to the new battery (the one without the connector), but I'd like to avoid that since my soldering skills are a little lacking (ie it will work, but it might not be pretty).

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1443074v600mah444whbatterymodulesidebysidewithprotectioniclc14430s2r1wr.aspx?variation=8162

Here is a photo of my connector (sorry about the quality).

Bonus photos of the inside of the Tinybox (1.0).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com