Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New To Taping Live Concerts. I dont know where to begin. Please Help Anybody.  (Read 6976 times)

Offline Chillin2611

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Hello Everyone, I am new to trying to learn how to tape live concerts. I do not know where to begin. I was on Youtube ( Reference on youtube: User is Jontebus and his videos are awesome specifically Ghost @ Lisebergshallen, Gothenburg, Sweden - 2015-11-11) this user and I were chatting and he said he uses SHURE microphones to get that awesome sound but he never told me which model he uses. He referenced me to this dialogue page so here I am. I want to learn how to tape a live concert with getting as close to clean audio sound. I don't know what kind of recorder to buy and I don't know what kind of microphones to use. I have read about Sony PCM-10 I see that recorder referenced many times from this site. The bottom line is I want to learn how to record live concerts that produce  nice audience recording audio  can anybody recommend quality microphones and audio recorder. the most I would spend is up to $2,000. Please and Thank You.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:53:14 PM by Chillin2611 »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Start with telling us your budget. For "studio quality" sound you need $6k or up. I don't think that is really what you mean.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
... from one of his DiME uploads he is running

AKG CK63 + tinybox + Sony PCM-M10 (24bit/48kHz)

at the moment, ...

hope that helps !
pillowman
---
www.openingtime.lima-city.de
---
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline Chillin2611

• Taperssection Newbie
Thank you very much @ pillowman that information was a great help.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
I *think* Jontebus uses a Shure vp-88???  I could be wrong... 

For a good AUD tape, its all about location location location...  Get your mic in the sweet spot and you'll pull a sweet tape...

That's as close you'll get to a SBD tape w/o actually taping the SBD...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=33610.0

Read the Newbie section and learn about the various types of gear...  Then you can start talking about mics and recorders and all the bits in between...

Jontebus now seems to use a Church Audio system (very small mics, pocket sized pre-amp) with an Edirol hand-held recorder (R-09)...  I think he is a "stack taper", meaning he stands as close as possible to a "stack" of PA speakers...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Chillin2611

• Taperssection Newbie
Where can I find an updated Roland-09 Recorder. the website says they discontinued this recorder. I see old ones on amazon, ebay,etc. I want an up to date model recorder.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
Where can I find an updated Roland-09 Recorder. the website says they discontinued this recorder. I see old ones on amazon, ebay,etc. I want an up to date model recorder.

The recorder doesn't have much, if anything, to do with the over "sound" of a live recording.  The microphones can* though.  And by * I'm quoting twatts here: "For a good AUD tape, its all about location location location...  Get your mic in the sweet spot and you'll pull a sweet tape..."

My rig costs less than a grand and I've pulled some really nice recordings in small venues in the sweet spot and I bet a lot of guys/gals here have done the same.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com

Aren't these notorious for input jack failure...?

Better choices out there these days...keep looking!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught

For a good AUD tape, its all about location location location...  Get your mic in the sweet spot and you'll pull a sweet tape...

That's as close you'll get to a SBD tape w/o actually taping the SBD...

Terry

I think he was planning on getting schoeps MK4's from conversations I had with him.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky

The most prefered recorder in the same category as the Edirol/Roland R-09 around here today is the Sony M10.  You won't go wrong using one of those.  You may need a preamp or battery box to power the microphones depending on which mics you choose, but the choice of microphones and the microphone setup configuration are going to be your biggest sound quality variables, gear-wise.

The biggest sound-quality variable of all (which you have some control over) is placing the microphones in the best location, as Terry and George mentioned.  We have no control over the things which are more important than that - the performer's performance, the performance space, the sound reinforcement system, and the audience.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Lately, Jontebus was using either a pair of AKG CK61 or a pair of AKG CK63 caps without bodies, a Tinybox (by Naiant - discontinued), a Sony PCM-M10 recorder and active cables. His last audience tapes have been quite impressive.
If you want the same rig, you're probably going to spend your whole $2000 budget.

Any possible alternative for the Tinybox ?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:45:05 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline OhioHead

• Taperssection Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of taping, I run a M-10 recorder (very easy to use), as a person who got back into taping earlier this year research your mic's carefully......I am on 3rd pair of mic's in 6 months(church, Oktava (great mic's wrong application for live taping) & now Telefunken (not buying new mic's 4 a while!).

I have spent an additional approximately another $3k from my initial Church purchase (& I won't sell this set up b/c it is so easy to use), and I spent this money because I did not do enough research on the front end!

Check the yard sale, it is your friend!

backwhereubelong

His current setup is:

AKG CK61 > TinyBox > Sony PCM-M10.

He does get some great captures ... :)

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member

sony m10    or    roland r-05
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com