Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Behringer X32 AES output notes  (Read 5637 times)

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Behringer X32 AES output notes
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:50:16 PM »
Usually when I run the X32 its part of a "job" type gig at a theatre for a country music revue show - so I don't always have to time to poke around the console as much as I like.

Last night was different - some friends and I rented the theatre and put together a 3 band showcase of local bands who play original music - myself doing sound.

So - I had to invest a bit more time in setting up mixes and, of course, I wanted to record and I had to find a way to set up a board feed.

Its been mentioned that the X32 has the LR house mix on the AES output.

With that in mind I took my Behringer Ultramatch 2496 A/D/A converter along with the idea that I could get a feed for my Tascam DR-70D.

It really seemed like it wasn't working at first - pretty sure I had plenty of gain from my house music feed.

So - I found the proper screen in the menu - and it seemed like it was off. Not sure if this was default. This particular console is still on the older X32 firmware.

I turned it on - note, you have to activate both channels.

But - even then I still wasn't getting anything. (I think)

I kind of gave up on that...next I had to setup a laptop, install Reaper, and the Behringer USB drivers.

While installing the USB driver - it asks you to turn the console off and on.

I did so - and everything connected fine - as I was working up my Reaper show templates...I noticed that the AES had started working!!!

So - it works - but sorry I don't have a more definitive answer.

Perhaps - if the console sees a AES device at boot, it activates the output. If nothing is present, it sets to OFF.

Also note - the screen where you set/activate the AES - make sure you have it set to "Pre-Fader" - so you don't have the soundman raising and lower the volume all night. (a huge advantage over most analog board feeds!)

I'll be back in later tonight sometime and note the proper buttons and maybe take some pics of the console screens where the settings live.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:59:27 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Behringer X32 AES output notes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
How do you like the X32?  Do you use a digital snake or analog?  Thinking of buying one for small shows. 

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:43 PM »
How do you like the X32?  Do you use a digital snake or analog?  Thinking of buying one for small shows.

Analog snake.

I really like it - it definitely takes a bit of time to learn and develop quick instincts.(coming from years of running analog channel strip boards)

Like - Its only 2 buttons and a fader to make a monitor adjustment...but until you've done it 50 times...you can still have these..."uhhhhhhh" moments...

I did three bands on Saturday - but did all the rough house and monitor mixes/scenes on Friday night - so I was line-check ready when the bands showed up...that makes it easy!

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »
my AES output never has to be activated, it's always on.  Also, it's worth noting that although default on the AES out is L/R soundboard feed, it can be assigned to be anything. I have .mine assigned for my room mics that I have running through the X32.

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »
Right now the venue I work at has a Roland M-480.  Like you said going from analog to digital was a pain.  But once I got familiar with the GUI's and where certain effects where, I like it now better than analog.  The X32 will be for house and small bar gigs.  I will prob go with a digital snake to cut down on cable runs.  I have my ambient mics run thru the board so I can record both the board feed and in room. 
~Clint

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com