Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Setup, New Problem. Or "where is this distorting?"  (Read 1921 times)

Offline tim_k

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
New Setup, New Problem. Or "where is this distorting?"
« on: December 23, 2015, 12:34:17 AM »
My usual setup is Audio-Technica 4021s into a Zaxcom Maxx, it works for me and I'm happy. But the mics are big for  >:D so I thought I would try my MKH 8020s more or less to see what would happen, as I wanted to be stage lip and have read omnis can work well for that. This is what happened:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/m6scgpu6hannmqh/2015-12-20pitysex01.mp3?dl=0
I know the 8020s aren't often used this way, but I've recorded some massively loud noises (train horns, boat horns, boat engines, etc.) with them with no distortion. Are they being over powered? Or is it Maxx who couldn't handle the hot output? There is no visible brickwall in the waveform. Do I need to get the filter/pad module?
It was a fun experiment, and I'm not sure I would do it over again, at least not without figuring this out a bit more.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New Setup, New Problem. Or "where is this distorting?"
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:26:53 PM »
You've got several different things going on there. 

Stage lip at big mixed amplified shows can be highly problematic.  You've got phasing between the monitors and the house here.  You've also got the problem that none of the sound is direct.  You landed in no man's land... 

The clipping (clicks on loud spots) is clearly too much SPL.  The noise level either overwhelmed the mics or the recorder.  You may not have seen it register but that's because this is the kind from the music being too loud for the gear rather than just from recording signal you captured alright too loud. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com