Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Comparison: Nbox platinum vs. Tinybox  (Read 19262 times)

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Comparison: Nbox platinum vs. Tinybox
« on: March 14, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
Hello fellow audiophiles!

In 2014 I finally decided to buy new, class A, microphones (AKG CK61+63) and with that active cables + the tinybox (mostly because of the small size/big sound).

Now... I've tried to read as much as possible here regarding both the tinybox AND the Nbox platinum, but can't really figure out if anyone has ever compared these two? When searching for an option in 2014 I found out that it was 50/50 regarding what people thought of the two, so therefore I chose tinybox, because I only stealth, but since I always want the BEST possible sound:

What differs in soundquality between the two? Some like A better than B - but can anyone say which one actually SOUNDS the best and why?

Anyone up for linking soundclips? Has anyone compared? Feel free to give me your thoughts!

P.S. This is in NO WAY an attempt to piss anyone off (since the people making these great products both will read this) - this is just me trying to figure out what people think of both of these products. Kind of like consumer TV-show, you know?

/Jonas (Jontebus on Dimeadozen etc)

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
Re: Comparison: Nbox platinum vs. Tinybox
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:23:32 PM »
This would be a rather academic exercise.  TB are no longer made, were basically built to spec, and rarely appear on the used market.  The NBox build and sound quality is outstanding.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »
were basically built to spec

Could you explain what you mean here? "Built to spec"?

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:53:02 PM »

When ordering a Naiant pre, the buyer could request various different input, output and power configurations. You could choose to have transformers or not, etc. They were built to the buyer's spec/preferences.

MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »

When ordering a Naiant pre, the buyer could request various different input, output and power configurations. You could choose to have transformers or not, etc. They were built to the buyer's spec/preferences.

I see, thank you for clarifying this.

;D

Still wonder what would sound best with my setup - and why? What makes it outstanding?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:04:26 PM by jontebus »

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
Beyond the basics--design, value, build quality--outstanding is a subjective opinion I suppose.  Two people can hear a piece of gear and have two differing opinions about the "sound."  Things I value--dynamics, wide bandwidth, low noise, neutral presentation--this preamp has in spades.  The sound is very natural.  Uncompressed.  Reflects what is feeding it signal-wise.  Some people match gear to balance sound.  Mics that might lean toward a more clinical sound might be paired with preamps that have warmth.  Tube mics might be paired with a preamp that sounds leaner.  You get the idea.  The Nbox is designed to be small, simple, and great-sounding.  Those of us who bought it had a good idea of what it could do by listening to recordings made with gear similar to what we own.

Trust your own ears.  It's that simple. :D

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
But to compare, using my ears, I have to buy one  :D (since not too many people have the AKG CK61+63's) and I thought someone had used both and could give his or her reply of what the difference is  ^-^
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:10:02 PM by jontebus »

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 12:49:03 PM »
What actives do you have? The nBox will only work when modded with the nBob actives.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 02:27:58 PM »
I have one of each pre-amps but I don't run AKG's.

This is strictly anecdotal (of course) - I've run both to get a sense of what my preference is. They both sound very good. I enjoy my recordings made with either pre.

When all things are equal - I grab one of my Classic Nboxes 99.99% of the time. With that said I would never sell my Tinybox and its so small I often bring it along as a backup - just in case. 
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
What actives do you have? The nBox will only work when modded with the nBob actives.

I have the nBob's...  :D

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »

I have the nBob's...  :D

Then all you have to do now is hit Nicky up and have him build you an nBox. NO BRAINER...I love mine and the tapes I have made with it are pretty damn awesome.
I'll have my AKG cables soon but run the MG actives with the nBox currently.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 09:13:12 PM »
Love my nbox platinum. Very happy with the results. If I want a different flavor I can run nbob>PFA but haven't yet.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 10:28:31 PM »
I also run an nbox platinum.  I know both units sound great but all things being equal I know Nick stands behind his products.  If something goes bad, he will fix it.  I don't know whether or not you would get the same with a Tinybox but if you read threads on here you will not find any examples of Nick not responding to issues.  He is a taper, one of us. 

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 12:17:49 AM »
Not sure if this matters to you...  but a Tinybox looks like a piece of audio gear.  An Nbox looks like an "unknown" device with female RCA connectors. 
As far as I know, NboxP is currently in production.  Tinybox is out of production.
I use to run an Nbox+ and loved the sound. 
I've never run a Tinybox, but have friends that do and they love it. 
I've never run AKG's.
I have nothing to offer regarding sonic comparisons.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 03:19:37 AM »
I also run an nbox platinum.  I know both units sound great but all things being equal I know Nick stands behind his products.  If something goes bad, he will fix it.  I don't know whether or not you would get the same with a Tinybox but if you read threads on here you will not find any examples of Nick not responding to issues.  He is a taper, one of us. 

The same is true for Jon/Naiant. Jon might not be a taper, but every time I had a question or a problem (of which all were user errors), he was always very helpful and very fast in responding to my numerous e-mails. I recently made the switch from MBHO to Schoeps actives. When I got my NBobs, I faced the decision of keeping my tinybox vs. getting a new NBox. I decided on keeping the tinybox (not against getting an NBox) because I simply love it. And there's no need to replace perfectly working gear that you love. ;) The only concern I have with my tinybox is that the internal LiIon battery is probably going to die soon and I can't find suitable replacement packs here in Europe. I know Jon will convert my tinybox to NiMH when that happens, but shipping to/from the US will probably take a while, so I need to figure out what to do during that time. But this has nothing to do with product or service quality.

Finally, having bought stuff from both Jon and Nick, I have to say that both were a pleasure to deal with.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com