Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 Battery  (Read 8610 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Sony PCM-M10 Battery
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 12:07:27 PM »
I apologize if there is a specific thread, but I do not recall seeing this information.  Can someone explain the intricacies of the M10 battery meter?  I normally change out alkalines once two "segments" have disappeared; is there a time correlation to the segments? And what is this "warning blink" (never seen it) and what does it mean?

"warning blink"  - when you're batteries are about to die, the battery meter on the M10 starts to blink on-and-off.  To understand, put two batteries in your M10.  Turn on your M10 and hit record.  Let it run until it dies.  Eventually, you'll see it blink and then..... 

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 11:22:49 AM »
I apologize if there is a specific thread, but I do not recall seeing this information.  Can someone explain the intricacies of the M10 battery meter?  I normally change out alkalines once two "segments" have disappeared; is there a time correlation to the segments? And what is this "warning blink" (never seen it) and what does it mean?

As one who has come to be comfortable running to try to pretty well use them up:

This thread reminds me I need to get some new rechargables... 

I've been using Ikea batteries.  They're quite good and a lot less expensive than brand name ones, but mainly because we have a lot of them.  I believe they're alkaline.  They run a lot of hours (at least 20, maybe 30)...   I use a tinybox (whether powering Schoeps or SPs into it), so no PIP. 

Getting to the questions it may depend on what you record.  Most of what I see occurs in shorter sets (they'll do two 60 to 80 minute sets if it is a full show or early/late club date). 

There doesn't seem to be a time correlation to the segments but I would say that as the batteries become more well used the segments disappear faster.  If you turn on a set that has seen some use you may see two or three segments initially but they disappear faster.  That last segment will run a long time though...  I usually replace when I only see one segment when turned on (unless I'm recording something that will run longer than usual).  Live dangerously I guess... 

There is a low battery flashing warning that comes on but I was not aware lithiums don;t trigger that, so thanks!).  I'm not quite sure how much run time you have at that point (it probably depends on the mics and how they're powered and perhaps how long it has been running before the warning came on).  I've only seen that once (when I forgot to change batteries and they got too low).  It ran for a while after I noticed that but I did a switch batteries at the encore break. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline magmazing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Magmazing Music
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 05:20:55 AM »
I also use Energizer Ultimate Lithium (for all day festivals) and Panasonic Enerloop Pros (for regular shows)
I shoot concert video and post my footage to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/magmazing
http://www.youtube.com/victoriabcmusicscene

My Current Equipment:
Canon HF S100 Camcorder
Canon 70D dSLR
Panasonic ZS100 digital camera
Sony HX10V Digital Camera
Edirol R-09HR Digital Audio Recorder
Church Audio CA-11 microphones

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »
Another option that doesn't harm the planet quite as much is to re-use half-used AA's from other devices. The amazing M10 can run for at least 4 hours on a set of cells which are no hotter than 1.37V when you start. 1.37 is my cutoff for using half-useds on live music. I am sure I can get the opener and main act if I have a 1.37 or better set. OK if I know I don't have an opener, I might use a pair as low as 1.35V, in a pinch...

I can probably dig up 100 posts on taperssection where we've already hashed this out, so please, from the very fucking bottom of my hippie heart, stop using and recommending disposable batteries unless absolutely required. ...

Use rechargeables.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com