Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audioroot Femto vs Lunatec V3  (Read 3490 times)

Offline captainentropy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Audioroot Femto vs Lunatec V3
« on: June 08, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
I know there's not a lot of people using this preamp but it's got the right size (slightly smaller than the MixPre) and seems to hit all the marks on paper.

Only 13 recordings I can find on the LMA and as recordings go in general on the LMA it's hard to do strict comparisons (varying one thing while keeping everything else consistent).

I got lucky in this case as this comparison is as good as one will likely find: AKG 483 mics > Audioroot Femto | Lunatec V3 > recorder :: DIN FOB 8-9'.

https://archive.org/details/Dumpstaphunk2015-10-09
akg483>femto audioroot pre>r44 ocm 24/48
FOB DFC row 6 din @9ft

https://archive.org/details/dumpstaphunk2015-10-09.akg483.flac16
AKG c480b/ck63 (din dfc fob 8')>V3 (24/96)>sd722

To me, it seems, that the Femto is "brighter". Is it just me?

I'm not necessarily looking to buy it. Just keeping options open. I've been looking into the MixPre/FP24 but they don't come around too often (yes, I know about the two recently, but I dawdled too long).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 05:01:50 PM by captainentropy »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audioroot Femto vs Lunatec V3
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:52:22 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in that comparison.  The foot difference in height alone can have a pretty big impact...

Offline captainentropy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 07:09:47 PM »
One foot? Really? Both right in front of the soundboard? I'm not sure what the author means for Row 6, that sounds really close to the stage. I guess technically that's in front of the soundboard but is that what's meant?

I asked the venue and was told the SB is 80 ft from the stage. If both mics are at ~80 ft from the PA system, 1 ft height difference is going to be very little difference in distance from one mic set to the the PA relative to the other. Is that really going to be that noticeable?

Those unfortunate short people (or tall) ;)

The Femto is only a tiny bit smaller than the MixPre for example. But how many small footprint preamps like this are available?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 07:35:04 AM »
^ The foot makes a difference because the lower one will pick up substantially more of what's happening around the stand.  That's clearly not the only difference, either.  They are both "FOB", but are they in the same spot?  Sixth row at a Dumstaphunk show is almost certainly not 80 feet from the stage (more like 15 or 20, I guess) and there is no information on how far the other one was.  Then there is the ADC.  It's not clear whether the V3 recording used the V3's converter (probably) or the SD's, but either is likely to be better than the R44's.  The recorders are different too.  I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are looking for subtle differences in pre-amp flavor, there are more than enough obfuscating factors to make that difficult with these two recordings.

There are a few other small pres out there, although some are discontinued and can only be found used.  There are actually several in the Yardsale right now.   

Offline captainentropy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:35:20 PM »
I contacted the taper to find out and this is what he said regarding the two mic sets:

...we were clamped together on my stand w him few inches higher than mine. The 6th row is considered the "apex" of the sound triangle - same distance from stage as the stacks are from each other. Top of the triangle so to speak. so we were about 35 ft. from stage lip dead center.

Must be a very friendly venue. I can't say I've ever seen anyone recording from a stand in such a sweet spot, unless it were next to a soundboard or some other fixed object/installation. It's much closer than I thought, so that changes the geometry a lot.

I was hoping to find a good comparison but I guess that's just really not likely. This is probably as good as it will get, caveats taken into account as well.

Thanks for the comments :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com