Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA Ugly 2 Switching Channels  (Read 4172 times)

Offline adrianb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
CA Ugly 2 Switching Channels
« on: June 23, 2016, 03:31:18 AM »
After some time thinking that I must be going mad, I now realise that the CA Ugly 2 preamp I recently bought is switching the L R channels around. I have checked all the connections and used different recorders and it is definitely the Ugly preamp. The CA 9200 preamp that I own is no problem.

Given the distance, and issues mentioned elsewhere, I don't really want to be returning this for repair. I am thinking about making a cable to correct this, but before I do does anybody know if such a cable is available to buy.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: CA Ugly 2 Switching Channels
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 04:25:06 AM »
Are the channels switching randomly or just the Left goes to the Right and vise-versa?

If the channels are just swapped, I'd just switch the channels in post.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 05:05:16 AM »
Are the channels switching randomly or just the Left goes to the Right and vise-versa?

If the channels are just swapped, I'd just switch the channels in post.

It's permanent. Chris must have made it on a Friday afternoon.  :laugh:

I could switch it post, but that would be a pain. I often don't visit files until weeks later, and won't remember which preamp, if any, I used. So looking for a permanent solution.
Mics: Sennheiser MKH 8040, Sennheiser MKH 8020, AT BP4025, AT 853 cards, CA CAFS, CA 14 Omnis, CA 11 (Cards + Omnis), Soundman OKM II Classic
Battery Boxes: Sony XLR-1, CA 9200 Preamp, CA Ugly 2 Preamp, CA Ugly BB, Shure FP24
Recorders: Sound Devices MP3, Sony PCM-D100, Sony PCM-D50, Sony PCM-M10, Sony PCM-D10, Roland R-07, Tascam iXJ2

Offline danny3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 06:15:31 AM »
sounds pretty lame.  Are you using Church Audio mics, which are wired left and right, because if so couldn't you just switch their placement?

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:44:48 AM »
sounds pretty lame.  Are you using Church Audio mics, which are wired left and right, because if so couldn't you just switch their placement?

Yes, I think I was being a bit dumb.

I think I'm just a bit annoyed to discover retrospectively that a load of stuff I've already processed is the wrong way around. I was listening to a recording the other night and remember thinking "I'm sure the drummer was on the right".  :laugh:

Anyway, now I know I can just switch the mics around.

I've used the Ugly as a preamp into my Sony D100 on some field recordings and I think it's really good. If I'm using mics in the field in a fixed position, I can just use a pair of 3.5 to RCA connectors and connect them the wrong way round.

So simple solutions really, I just wish I had known. Maybe others should check their Uglys, and curious to know if other tapers find the same.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:37:40 AM »
I had a 9200 that was built with reversed channels.  Initially Chris claimed it was not possible for that to happen, but it was, verified with other mics and sources.  I sent it back to him to be fixed, which it eventually was, but since it took several months for him to get it back to me, I had abandoned Church products by that time out of frustration.

So if your Ugly is switched, just flip the mics.  Don't send it back for repair unless you don't need it for a very long time.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »
When I'm stealthing I don't usually even bother making sure my L and R are on the correct side.

The only way I can really tell is when I hear a talker that I know was on my right but the chatter comes out of my left channel. Music sounds fine to me either way so I usually just leave it.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
^ This.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 05:12:01 PM »
But what about my OCD?  :)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »
I speak a quick "left" and "right" into my mics before I hit stop on my recorder that way I can fix in post if necessary.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com