Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microphone voltages  (Read 2089 times)

Offline youngsbest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Microphone voltages
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:11:53 AM »
Hi

I recorded a show a couple of days ago with my MM version Sennheiser MKE2 omnis.  They ran into a Naiant Pipsqueak, low gain, Sony M10, level set to 4, peaking around -6bd.
It was a loud show, with thumping kick drum and bass.  The low end is distorting.  I can roll off the low frequencies in Soundforge, but it doesn't help much.  The mids & highs are fine.
I measured the voltage from the Pipsqueak & it's 2.5v.  The spec sheet for these capsules shows a max spl of 142 db.  It was loud but maybe not that loud.  Also the operating voltage is listed at 7.5v.
I have not had any issues with this set up at quieter shows with less thump, so is the 2.5v from the Pipsqueak too low for the mics to handle hi spls?

I also have a Sound Pros battery box, this puts out 6v.  Should I use this to power these mics at loud shows and just go line in - I won't need a pre to get a decent level if it's loud.

Second part.  I also have the Sound pro AT853.  These are three wire. I have an adapter on the Pipsqueak so I can run these three wire.  Is the 2.5v sufficient for these mics at high levels?  I also have a home brew three wire battery box, using the circuit posted here a while ago with a 9v battery.  With this higher voltage be better for loud shows with these mics.?  Also could I feed the 3.5m jack from the bb into the 3.5m input on the Pipsqueak to boost the levels, or is there issue with the Pipsqueak still delivering a bias voltage into the bb?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks very much.

Offline youngsbest

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Microphone voltages
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 06:25:37 AM »

Thanks for your reply Jon.  My voltmeter shows 4.8 v at the battery terminal.  If I measure the voltage between ground and either ring or tip on the mic input I get 2.5v. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Offline youngsbest

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Microphone voltages
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »
I get 8v between the yellow wire & ground on the input, but nothing between red green or black & ground, if that helps?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com