Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3  (Read 108832 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 3
« Reply #315 on: August 13, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »
I'm planning on grabbing one once they are available.  Looks like a much better orientation for the battery.  I'm only running one at a time with the SD L mount sled and haven't needed to hot swap.

That's the first I am reading of the SD-2 version of Hawkwoods...that's bad ass...I have 3 - 8800ma  cells and 3 - 6600ma cells
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #316 on: August 13, 2017, 03:39:44 PM »
Okay, I was thinking you didn't realized it had been fixed.  You were just addressing the quality of the pres.   :coolguy:

The mix track issues was fixed with firmware 1.11!!  I have been recording with mine turned off without issue.

^^^
=T, great and very true post. I couldn't agree more.

I set mine a bit differently because I still like having the knobs control gain, but I preset my gain and I have not needed to touch it. The real proof of the value of these preamps can be seen with the first firmware update, which still left one glitch. That glitch was that if you turned off the mix track, your recording would look right, but would be very low, so much so that you had to add about 15db of gain, which is a really really large amount of gain, but the recording was still absolutely quiet in the quiet parts and rich and full sounding musically. 

Go conservative and edit in post. This is an amazing deck for staying careful and conservative, no loss of quality. For anyone that does not make any changes in post, it is like recording with one arm tied behind your back.
Exactly, but it was a great opportunity to see what the preamps could do being pushed. The next update fixed the issue which I should have been more clear about.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #317 on: August 13, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
Here is my Mixpre-3 rig in a Lowepro Adventura 170 that I bought new (w/ tags) from eBay for $11.50. The first pic is the rig displayed: Manfrotto Superclamp, six inch Manfrotto extension with Manfrotto mini-ballhead, Rycote INV-HG mkIII shockmount, large DPA screens. MP-3, nbox, Schoeps mk4 + actives (red case) and 2 batteries (Naztech shown, anker usb-c in front punch). Second pic is a closer shot of what's running in the bag. Pics 3 & 4 show the packed rig (superclamp in side pouch) and packed/closed. Not shown (other side pouch) are ortf and din bars plus a Shure a53mm for backup.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:07:50 PM by larrysellers »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »
Here is my Mixpre-3 rig in a Lowepro Adventura 170 that I bought new (w/ tags) from eBay for $11.50. The first pic is the rig displayed: Manfrotto Superclamp, six inch Manfrotto extension with Manfrotto mini-ballhead, Rycote INV-HG mkIII shockmount, large DPA screens. MP-3, nbox, Schoeps mk4 + actives (red case) and 2 batteries (Naztech shown, anker usb-c in front punch). Second pic is a closer shot of what's running in the bag. Pics 3 & 4 show the packed rig (superclamp in side pouch) and packed/closed. Not shown (other side pouch) are ortf and din bars plus a Shure a53mm for backup.

nice
Who made your cables and where did you get the safety cable?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
It is actually 2 cables matted together but I believe Ted made both of them. See here for the superclamp cables ---> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=151303.msg2230154#msg2230154 .
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:23:47 AM by larrysellers »

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2017, 04:27:57 PM »
Anyone using a 128gb card? Any issues? Thinking about a sandisk extreme pro uhs-1.

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2017, 05:42:55 PM »
Anyone using a 128gb card? Any issues? Thinking about a sandisk extreme pro uhs-1.

I use 128GB cards. I had issues before firmware 1.11 but none after 1.11. I have use both Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »

I use 128GB cards. I had issues before firmware 1.11 but none after 1.11. I have use both Sandisk Extreme and Extreme Pro cards.

Thanks!

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2017, 02:21:48 PM »
I have 128gb Sony and Lexar and both have performed flawlessly. I too am on the latest firmware.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #325 on: August 21, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
While recording Steve Kimock on Friday night I shut my Mixpre-6 down in between sets.  When I fired it back up it defaulted to the 4AA battery pack.  Luckily I glanced down a couple of songs into the 2nd set to see the battery indicator about half depleted.  I had to unplug and re-plug the USB cable to get it switch back to USB-C power again.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #326 on: August 21, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
While recording Steve Kimock on Friday night I shut my Mixpre-6 down in between sets.  When I fired it back up it defaulted to the 4AA battery pack.  Luckily I glanced down a couple of songs into the 2nd set to see the battery indicator about half depleted.  I had to unplug and re-plug the USB cable to get it switch back to USB-C power again.

I noticed the same thing although it may be the USB batteries shutting themselves down versus the Mixpre purposely going back to the battery sled. With the batteries I have you can also press the button on them to turn them back on
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #327 on: August 21, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »

I noticed the same thing although it may be the USB batteries shutting themselves down versus the Mixpre purposely going back to the battery sled. With the batteries I have you can also press the button on them to turn them back on
I concur, most batteries will shut down when they stop supplying power and most have a button you push to turn them back on. It also is the button that shows how much power is remaining by displaying how many bars or LED's you have remaining That is fairly normal and I find that is the process with all my decks and many (but not all) of my external batteries. Like many here, I am somewhat of a battery junkie. It would be easy to know if this is the issue if the battery type and model was listed in the post. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:24:35 PM by dallman »

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
I concur, most batteries will shut down when they stop supplying power and most have a button you push to turn them back on. It also is the button that shows how much power is remaining by displaying how many bars or LED's you have remaining That is fairly normal and I find that is the process with all my decks and many (but not all) of my external batteries. Like many here, I am somewhat of a battery junkie. It would be easy to know if this is the issue if the battery type and model was listed in the post. Thanks!

Anker Powercore+ 26800.  This was my maiden run with the new battery so it is likely it turned itself off.  Would unplugging and plugging the USB cable back in turn it back on?  I think that this was also the moment (in a mild panic) that I also discovered the button on the battery could be pushed in.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
^Happy you taped Kimock!!....  hope someone caught his Total Eclipse set in OR.
 :guitarist:

....sorry for stretching off topic.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com