Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 97407 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.

Thanks for that.

You mentioned you've used other non-approved batteries that worked. Could you share what some of them are?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16240&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0ejNBRCYARIsACEBhDNEmUir-ce495_8iCWYyH-WyqSwvpos2mM_m1DwWRsFOZb38Kd1LKAaAuQvEALw_wcB

That's the monoprice 15,000 mAh battery for $35

I prefer the form factor and larger capacity of the Anker, but this is half price.

There's also this: USB C Portable Charger, Jackery Titan S 20100mAh 30W Total Output QC2.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge External Battery, Type-C Port for Nintendo Switch, Macbook, Nexus, Samsung and More - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO8LCP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_59XUzb8H7RS00
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »
From the previous thread, I always liked running hot too.

Has anyone got a new MP_ and not liked it for fr one reason or another that you sent it back/sold it?
Or didn't get rid of it but are using you old gear instead?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:14:25 AM »

Has anyone got a new MP_ and not liked it for fr one reason or another that you sent it back/sold it?

Got my MP3 for field recordings and interviews (oral history), my 702 has been staying home since then.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »

For all you guys running hot, two questions:

1. Are you using the limiters?
2. Bt what means are you bringing up the levels in post to compare?

Obviously your experience is your own, but are you sure the only variable is more gain in the preamp?
Recording:

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
^ This^

The only explanation I can muster for your experience and preferring the "hotter" version is the use of limiters and the preference for the effect they add.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
Regarding running hot....  I've never used an MP-3/6.
I used to run conservative levels until I ran a Mytek 192 ADC.
Once I realized that the Mytek could soak up a hot preamp signal, I started to run hot most of the time.  My rig sounded better to me when I ran hot.
I eventually switched over to a SD USBpre2 strictly as an ADC.  And it also can soak up a hot signal in my experiences.  And to me, my rig sounds better when I run hot. 

I don't "ride" the levels...  I just try to set them as hot as I can without clipping.  Occasionally, I need to turn down levels if they become too hot during a show.  But once I find the "zone" with my rig's levels..  and the musicians/sound engineer don't boost their levels, I usually leave it be.  I try to aim for -3db.  If the sound engineer and sound system is consistent with their levels, I'm not afraid to aim closer to 0db. 
If the sound pressure levels are all over the place or the dynamic range is all over the place or if I can't keep an eye on my rig's levels...  then those are the times when I find it necessary to run conservative....  and it still sounds great when I run conservative and boost in post...  but IMO, not as good as when it's "in-the-moment" hot.

So..  I can't speak for the MixPre-3/6...  but IMO, the USBpre2 sounds better to my ears when the levels are hot.
YMMV.

edit to add:  I do not use limiters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:50:29 AM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

There's also this: USB C Portable Charger, Jackery Titan S 20100mAh 30W Total Output QC2.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge External Battery, Type-C Port for Nintendo Switch, Macbook, Nexus, Samsung and More - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO8LCP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_59XUzb8H7RS00

That is one of the batteries I use.  It works fine, but at least for me, I can't seem to use it to start up the MP6.  It seems to require some kind of handshake that the Jackery/MP6 combo can't navigate from a powered down state. That is, if I don't have the 4AA battery pack attached, I've never been able to get the Jackery battery to power up the MP6.

So my workaround is I start up the MP6 using the 4AA battery pack, and then attach and power up the Jackery battery.  Once the MP6 is initially powered using the 4AA pack, the Jackery external USB C battery takes over and works fine.

Yes, I know Acidjack, this is not raising your comfort level.  :)  Really though, it works great other than this hiccup.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »

You mentioned you've used other non-approved batteries that worked. Could you share what some of them are?

Here are some that I have found to work very well with the MixPre6:

This is the workhorse of the group:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Runs seemingly forever.

This is also one that seems to go forever, but it is listed with a smaller capacity and is a smaller battery. I use this one the most, and have a few of them.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=15121&seq=1&format=2

This one too seems to last and last. It is large, but very thin, so I find it useful in certain bags and situations where because it is thin it takes up little space even though it is large:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=16240&seq=1&format=2

I am very happy with these 3 models. All three have push buttons that can start the power, but they usually also light up upon plugging in the USB "C" cable
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
I use both the thin monoprice and anker batteries. I like the monoprice form factor better personally. I do have to turn the batteries on, they do not turn on automatically when the Mixpre is connected.

The Amazon basics USB-c cable works great and Ive had no issues with it staying connected...

I have had no issues powering the mixpre via battery and/or USB-c battery. I dont see it as something that people should be paranoid about. I also have the Lmount sled and a Hawk-woods dummy battery to 12v barrel connector and intent on trying that for festivals...

Any USB-c battery that outputs 3amps @ 5 volts should theoretically be fine. SD only lists the one they have tested. If you find a USB-c battery that doesn't work, I would suspect the battery itself...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:18:13 PM by rippleish20 »
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline stuartprovine

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »

Yes.  I sold mine.  The preamps were really excellent, though.  Reasons why I sold it were -

1) No redundant recording to a second card
2) Wasn't in love with the limiters for what I need the unit for
3) Powering options weren't what I consider to be professional
4) The ergos of the controls left a lot to be desired.  I hated having to reach into the bag to use the data encoder.  Too much physical interference with the aux input (which I was also using). 

Otherwise it's a wonderful sounding box.  Better than the F8 I replaced it with.  When SD releases a professional recorder with the pre tech from the MP6 I'll jump back on board.

-Stuart

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
^ To be fair, the MixPre-6 (or -3) isn't really intended to be a professional recorder, I think. More like "prosumer" (based on features, marketing, price, and even the existence of basic mode). And most of us here aren't pros like yourself, so we might be a little more flexible about their limitations...

Offline stuartprovine

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
^ To be fair, the MixPre-6 (or -3) isn't really intended to be a professional recorder, I think. More like "prosumer" (based on features, marketing, price, and even the existence of basic mode). And most of us here aren't pros like yourself, so we might be a little more flexible about their limitations...

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I really do miss mine because the sound quality was better than what I have now.  The other factors are important enough that I don't regret my decision, but I do look forward to SD's next round of recorders and will likely buy one at their introduction. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com