Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 12054 times)

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk3 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Naiant PFA, Sound Devices Mixpre6
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Sony PCM m10
Home Playback: Mytek DSD 192> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400
Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:50:16 PM »
For those worried about the USB-C connection, I've had very good success with this right angled cable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSMOMAR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Z1MgZ7CViFhFs

The cable exits "down" in the bag, and then "up" to the battery, and is very secure.

Thanks for that.

You mentioned you've used other non-approved batteries that worked. Could you share what some of them are?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 08:32:20 PM »
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16240&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0ejNBRCYARIsACEBhDNEmUir-ce495_8iCWYyH-WyqSwvpos2mM_m1DwWRsFOZb38Kd1LKAaAuQvEALw_wcB

That's the monoprice 15,000 mAh battery for $35

I prefer the form factor and larger capacity of the Anker, but this is half price.

There's also this: USB C Portable Charger, Jackery Titan S 20100mAh 30W Total Output QC2.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge External Battery, Type-C Port for Nintendo Switch, Macbook, Nexus, Samsung and More - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO8LCP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_59XUzb8H7RS00
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Home Playback: Mytek DSD 192> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:40:39 PM »
From the previous thread, I always liked running hot too.

Has anyone got a new MP_ and not liked it for fr one reason or another that you sent it back/sold it?
Or didn't get rid of it but are using you old gear instead?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 04:14:25 AM »

Has anyone got a new MP_ and not liked it for fr one reason or another that you sent it back/sold it?

Got my MP3 for field recordings and interviews (oral history), my 702 has been staying home since then.

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »

For all you guys running hot, two questions:

1. Are you using the limiters?
2. Bt what means are you bringing up the levels in post to compare?

Obviously your experience is your own, but are you sure the only variable is more gain in the preamp?
Recording:

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 08:15:13 AM »
^ This^

The only explanation I can muster for your experience and preferring the "hotter" version is the use of limiters and the preference for the effect they add.

Online yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:48 AM »
Regarding running hot....  I've never used an MP-3/6.
I used to run conservative levels until I ran a Mytek 192 ADC.
Once I realized that the Mytek could soak up a hot preamp signal, I started to run hot most of the time.  My rig sounded better to me when I ran hot.
I eventually switched over to a SD USBpre2 strictly as an ADC.  And it also can soak up a hot signal in my experiences.  And to me, my rig sounds better when I run hot. 

I don't "ride" the levels...  I just try to set them as hot as I can without clipping.  Occasionally, I need to turn down levels if they become too hot during a show.  But once I find the "zone" with my rig's levels..  and the musicians/sound engineer don't boost their levels, I usually leave it be.  I try to aim for -3db.  If the sound engineer and sound system is consistent with their levels, I'm not afraid to aim closer to 0db. 
If the sound pressure levels are all over the place or the dynamic range is all over the place or if I can't keep an eye on my rig's levels...  then those are the times when I find it necessary to run conservative....  and it still sounds great when I run conservative and boost in post...  but IMO, not as good as when it's "in-the-moment" hot.

So..  I can't speak for the MixPre-3/6...  but IMO, the USBpre2 sounds better to my ears when the levels are hot.
YMMV.

edit to add:  I do not use limiters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:50:29 AM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

There's also this: USB C Portable Charger, Jackery Titan S 20100mAh 30W Total Output QC2.0 Qualcomm Quick Charge External Battery, Type-C Port for Nintendo Switch, Macbook, Nexus, Samsung and More - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CO8LCP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_59XUzb8H7RS00

That is one of the batteries I use.  It works fine, but at least for me, I can't seem to use it to start up the MP6.  It seems to require some kind of handshake that the Jackery/MP6 combo can't navigate from a powered down state. That is, if I don't have the 4AA battery pack attached, I've never been able to get the Jackery battery to power up the MP6.

So my workaround is I start up the MP6 using the 4AA battery pack, and then attach and power up the Jackery battery.  Once the MP6 is initially powered using the 4AA pack, the Jackery external USB C battery takes over and works fine.

Yes, I know Acidjack, this is not raising your comfort level.  :)  Really though, it works great other than this hiccup.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dallman

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »

You mentioned you've used other non-approved batteries that worked. Could you share what some of them are?

Here are some that I have found to work very well with the MixPre6:

This is the workhorse of the group:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRQDAEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Runs seemingly forever.

This is also one that seems to go forever, but it is listed with a smaller capacity and is a smaller battery. I use this one the most, and have a few of them.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=15121&seq=1&format=2

This one too seems to last and last. It is large, but very thin, so I find it useful in certain bags and situations where because it is thin it takes up little space even though it is large:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=16240&seq=1&format=2

I am very happy with these 3 models. All three have push buttons that can start the power, but they usually also light up upon plugging in the USB "C" cable
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:10:17 PM »
I use both the thin monoprice and anker batteries. I like the monoprice form factor better personally. I do have to turn the batteries on, they do not turn on automatically when the Mixpre is connected.

The Amazon basics USB-c cable works great and Ive had no issues with it staying connected...

I have had no issues powering the mixpre via battery and/or USB-c battery. I dont see it as something that people should be paranoid about. I also have the Lmount sled and a Hawk-woods dummy battery to 12v barrel connector and intent on trying that for festivals...

Any USB-c battery that outputs 3amps @ 5 volts should theoretically be fine. SD only lists the one they have tested. If you find a USB-c battery that doesn't work, I would suspect the battery itself...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:18:13 PM by rippleish20 »
MK22's / MK41's / MK41v's (for sale) / MK4v's / MK4's / AKG C480Bs+ck61, ck63 / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers (for sale) / AT853s (for sale)
KCY 250/5 and Nbob KCY (x2) > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox  / SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box
Zoom F8 (for sale) / Sony M-10 / Mixpre-6 / Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline stuartprovine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »

Yes.  I sold mine.  The preamps were really excellent, though.  Reasons why I sold it were -

1) No redundant recording to a second card
2) Wasn't in love with the limiters for what I need the unit for
3) Powering options weren't what I consider to be professional
4) The ergos of the controls left a lot to be desired.  I hated having to reach into the bag to use the data encoder.  Too much physical interference with the aux input (which I was also using). 

Otherwise it's a wonderful sounding box.  Better than the F8 I replaced it with.  When SD releases a professional recorder with the pre tech from the MP6 I'll jump back on board.

-Stuart

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
^ To be fair, the MixPre-6 (or -3) isn't really intended to be a professional recorder, I think. More like "prosumer" (based on features, marketing, price, and even the existence of basic mode). And most of us here aren't pros like yourself, so we might be a little more flexible about their limitations...

Offline stuartprovine

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
^ To be fair, the MixPre-6 (or -3) isn't really intended to be a professional recorder, I think. More like "prosumer" (based on features, marketing, price, and even the existence of basic mode). And most of us here aren't pros like yourself, so we might be a little more flexible about their limitations...

I couldn't agree more.  In fact, I really do miss mine because the sound quality was better than what I have now.  The other factors are important enough that I don't regret my decision, but I do look forward to SD's next round of recorders and will likely buy one at their introduction. 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »

For all you guys running hot, two questions:

1. Are you using the limiters?
2. Bt what means are you bringing up the levels in post to compare?

Obviously your experience is your own, but are you sure the only variable is more gain in the preamp?
no limiters for me.
When I ran hotter then I do now, it was with a UA-5 w/SVU > MT (normally). I did t really have anything to compare it to because I didn't have a second rig. But if I needed to do anything in post it was with Audacity.
Since I now have two rigs...
Tb > m10 and Dr-60d (which I also run in dual mode so kinda a third "rig")
I have not been running as hot with the tb > m10 rig because it's harder to adjust the levels bit with the Dr-60d I run with peaks around -6 and then the dual drops it down to -12. I would run closer to 0/-6 but the meters are not as good as the SVU.
All that said, I def felt the UA-5 rig sounded better hot and not adding in post.  The tb rig I think is more hit or miss and the dr-60d I don't hear much difference.
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 10:30:34 PM »
^ This^

The only explanation I can muster for your experience and preferring the "hotter" version is the use of limiters and the preference for the effect they add.

No limiters. Here's a good example. The first six seconds were "hot". I regret turning the gain down 6dbs at the six second mark. I should have left it. The only post processing I did was to try and make the transition visually seamless on the wave by bringing everything up to match the first six seconds. I accomplished that. But as you can tell, it doesn't SOUND the same. Not as rich as the extra bits captured by running "hot".

https://archive.org/details/JohnMayer2013-07-12.dpa4028.flac24/JohnMayer2013-07-12.dpa4028.t02.flac
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:35:24 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:
Oade ACM Grace Lunatec V3 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)
bm2p+ Edirol UA-5 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Oade CM Edirol R-44 (FOR SALE - Make Offer)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline ben_r_

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2017, 12:42:29 AM »
Just wanted to post back, seems like this charger and cable power the MixPre-6 perfectly:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charger-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B06Y427WT7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XYBPMN

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:45 PM »
Apologies if this has been posted already. I searched, but didn't see it: Portabrace for the MixPre-6.

No limiters. Here's a good example. The first six seconds were "hot". I regret turning the gain down 6dbs at the six second mark. I should have left it. The only post processing I did was to try and make the transition visually seamless on the wave by bringing everything up to match the first six seconds. I accomplished that. But as you can tell, it doesn't SOUND the same. Not as rich as the extra bits captured by running "hot".

https://archive.org/details/JohnMayer2013-07-12.dpa4028.flac24/JohnMayer2013-07-12.dpa4028.t02.flac

I don't think you are really capturing any extra bits (or a bit, really, at ~ 6 dB) of content. Kind of switching a bit of noise for a bit of headroom. I think it sounds "better" because it is still a lot louder, which makes for a big perceptual difference in quality, plus maybe a bit of comfirmation bias. Some gear might sound better at one gain settiing compared to another, but, personally, I don't think this example shows that and it's not a MixPre-6/3 either. Hard to compare across equipment probably. YMMV and whatnot...

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (52)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
^ This^

Don't like this part Justin, you tell people to not sell the recording, but you'll take money for it if people give it.
<***** - If you’ve enjoyed this recording, tips are appreciated - Thank you - *****>

Bitcoin:  1EY3jCESk6xu2mnKuYYAbdo8iyjC1WEA5m

Ethereum:  0xac24668758ACdd127AEbedBc84e2cF0D3e214662

Litecoin:  LPVepexetL9xxwZPKp5KuZfxRn4vq7eKF4

OmiseGo:  0xac24668758ACdd127AEbedBc84e2cF0D3e214662
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline willndmb

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 08:55:19 PM »
^ This^

now if you boost it up 6db and compare do you hear a difference

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (24)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 08:07:18 AM »
^ This^

Don't like this part Justin, you tell people to not sell the recording, but you'll take money for it if people give it.
<***** - If you’ve enjoyed this recording, tips are appreciated - Thank you - *****>

Asking for donations or "tips" is crossing the line. You should take that down immediately. If you are asking for donations for the Archive that's a different matter entirely but if you are asking for yourself - that's terrible.

It's been 4 years - can't believe no one caught this and called you out for it until now. Or that you are still doing it  > https://archive.org/details/JohnMayer2017-07-27.dpa4023.744.flac24

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:11:55 AM by goodcooker »
MK41 > PFA > Aerco MP2/RAD MS2 > DR60d/DR2d
MBHO KA300 > Naiant PFA > SD MixPre6 (currently under construction)

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
^ This^

That is...organized. This place sure has changed.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (9)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 03:01:15 PM »
Let's try not to derail this thread with the "tips" issue. Just report his recordings with the tips note in them. I reported JohnMayer2013-07-12.dpa4028.flac24 as spam/scam/fraud.
-24      -12              -6             0       OVER
||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []  
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Online gewwang

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
so I guess starting a gofundme page to help pay for travel and tickets to shows in exchange for a tape is out of the question?

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
The lack of a hold button got me at the onset of the 2nd set last night. 

I set levels and laid the recorder so that I could see it on stage from the front row.  I must've hit the stop button when I pushed it away from the stage lip because there is a minute or two of sound and then it just stops.  From my seat I could see levels were perfect so I never walked back up to check.  I did open Wingman but I must've had BT off because it would not see the device. 

It is a friggin' shame too because the band pulled all amplification for the final 2 songs and played into my mics on stage.  UGH!
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
New firmware MixPre Series Firmware v1.20

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

"The MixPre-6 now features 4-channel linking, ideal for surround recording."
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:04 AM »

Can someone explain why this would be useful for me?  I typically run a cardiod pair and a MS pair.  The two are never close to being the same levels, really ever, especially the mid and side channels.  Why would I want to control gain on 4 mis-matched channels by just spinning a single knob?
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
You wouldn't. But I can think of at least two reasons this would be very useful:

1) Using a Soundfield, tetramic or other 4 channel microphone. These need to have consistent levels across all 4 channels to insure proper stereo decoding.

2) Running multiple stereo (not m/s) pairs of microphones of the same company. I might use this to run my schoeps mk41v hypercard and mk3 omni pairs, to insure that the levels will be matched across all channels. That way I can control levels on both pairs with a single knob.

Can someone explain why this would be useful for me?  I typically run a cardiod pair and a MS pair.  The two are never close to being the same levels, really ever, especially the mid and side channels.  Why would I want to control gain on 4 mis-matched channels by just spinning a single knob?
Recording:

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2017, 12:06:13 PM »
From the release notes, this would appear to allow the much clamored for channel linking (also two channel) with front knob gain control!

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
From the release notes, this would appear to allow the much clamored for channel linking (also two channel) with front knob gain control!

yup, I just updated mine, and the channel linking option is no longer greyed out.

It looks like SD is listening.
Recording:

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »
Great news here! Thank you Sound Devices for listening. I just updated my unit w/o issue and love that I can finally operate the MP6 like my old 744.  :cheers:

yup, I just updated mine, and the channel linking option is no longer greyed out.

It looks like SD is listening.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (24)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »

This is good news. I really like the idea of a MixPre6 and a Sennheiser AMBEO VR mic as a compact surround rig.
MK41 > PFA > Aerco MP2/RAD MS2 > DR60d/DR2d
MBHO KA300 > Naiant PFA > SD MixPre6 (currently under construction)

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 12:47:23 PM »
Does the 7xx series have the option to record to FLAC?

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
^yes the 7xx can record to flac
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mics: AKG Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) | Franken Nak(s): CM-700 (CP-701/702) & CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) | Primo EM4052PMI4 (CP-3) | AT853 (all caps)
Pres: Naiant tinyboxes (v. 2.5 & 1.0) & littlebox (v. 1.5/ot)
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre-10T | Roland R-09HRs & R-05s | Sony M10
Juice: XL-WPH3 | Eneloop Pro & Ladda rechargeables

Online vwmule

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
Full details:

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 10:24:29 AM »

I was happy to see that with the firmware update using the front panel knobs for gain, I can link channels 1/2, and then separately link channels 3/4. ISO (front panel) Knob 1 controls 1/2, and ISO (Front panel) knob 3 controls 3/4. That is exactly how I have used my Tascam DR680. I do not foresee ever linking all 4 together, at least not with my mic combos. I did not think to check if there is an option to link 5/6, I'll have to look at that tonight.

There is a specific linking option for m/s, so you could balance your M/S and control that with ISO 1, and then control your cardioid pair after balancing on ISO 3, so you would have 2 master balance controls instead of 4 separate controls.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »

I was happy to see that with the firmware update using the front panel knobs for gain, I can link channels 1/2, and then separately link channels 3/4. ISO (front panel) Knob 1 controls 1/2, and ISO (Front panel) knob 3 controls 3/4. That is exactly how I have used my Tascam DR680. I do not foresee ever linking all 4 together, at least not with my mic combos. I did not think to check if there is an option to link 5/6, I'll have to look at that tonight.

There is a specific linking option for m/s, so you could balance your M/S and control that with ISO 1, and then control your cardioid pair after balancing on ISO 3, so you would have 2 master balance controls instead of 4 separate controls.

^
+T
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
Recording:

Offline voltronic

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2017, 02:28:46 PM »
https://www.trewaudio.com/product/cable-techniques-mx-powersled/

Looks just like the Hawk Woods version:
https://www.trewaudio.com/product/hawk-woods-sd-1/

Hawk Woods also makes a single L battery sled:
https://www.trewaudio.com/product/hawk-woods-sd-2/

...Speaking of which, anyone here powering these units with the L style batteries?  I haven't seen much discussion about that option here.  The USB-C packs seem to be the cheaper option if starting fresh, unless you already own the Sony batteries and charger.
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
Volt, I had a handful of unbranded NP-550 size L batteries from some LED lights gathering dust so I got one of SD's L sleds. With one in each of the sled's sockets it's just a bit thicker than the recorder itself (and roughly the same thickness as the Hawk Woods single L sled). I get plenty of record time out of two batteries for my needs and can easily hot swap in a spare. I prefer the all in one form factor that the L batteries provide and two of the batteries are lighter than my USB battery pack. If an extremely long recording situation comes up I can use my Anker 20100+ (again, already on hand from another task).

If I hadn't had either on hand to begin with I'd lean towards USB powering. On a longer trip I have coming up later in the year, I will likely bring the Anker since I'll be carrying it and its charger anyway (and the one charger also charges my phone and camera batteries). The L batteries mean one more (large-ish) charger to pack.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 08:44:49 PM »
Volt, I had a handful of unbranded NP-550 size L batteries from some LED lights gathering dust so I got one of SD's L sleds. With one in each of the sled's sockets it's just a bit thicker than the recorder itself (and roughly the same thickness as the Hawk Woods single L sled). I get plenty of record time out of two batteries for my needs and can easily hot swap in a spare. I prefer the all in one form factor that the L batteries provide and two of the batteries are lighter than my USB battery pack. If an extremely long recording situation comes up I can use my Anker 20100+ (again, already on hand from another task).

If I hadn't had either on hand to begin with I'd lean towards USB powering. On a longer trip I have coming up later in the year, I will likely bring the Anker since I'll be carrying it and its charger anyway (and the one charger also charges my phone and camera batteries). The L batteries mean one more (large-ish) charger to pack.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I also like the form factor and ability to hot-swap the NP / L batteries, which is why I was interested in them, but the smaller ones that don't stick out that far like the 550s make me wonder about runtimes with 4 mics.

As for chargers, this kit looks attractive since the charger is small and can be powered off of a 12V car outlet:
https://www.amazon.com/DSTE-NP-F550-Sony-CCD-RV100-CCD-RV200/dp/B00CPYXQ2S/
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2017, 04:43:46 AM »
MixPre-10T?

If this is what I think it is, THIS is why I didn’t buy a mixpre6!

https://www.sounddevices.com/component/tags/tag/tn-mixpre-10t
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2017, 06:30:42 AM »
MixPre-10T?

If this is what I think it is, THIS is why I didn’t buy a mixpre6!

https://www.sounddevices.com/component/tags/tag/tn-mixpre-10t

Looks like they took those links down, but here's someone who grabbed a screenshot:
http://ironfilm.co.nz/leaked-is-a-new-sound-devices-mixpre-10t-coming-soon/
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
Needless to say, I’ve been waiting for this.

Paging Mr. Paul Isaacs!
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
DONE! 
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »
Thought some of you might like this baby!!

Paul

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »

Paul

when/where can i pre-order, and how much???

:coolguy:
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
$1,837.50 Shipped.  Due on Halloween day.  Just Pre-ordered!

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/sound-devices-mixpre-10t/

WHOOO!!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 12:42:52 PM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Oade CM V3 and busman UA5 officially for sale.
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2017, 12:52:55 PM »

And here I had figured there were some big tippers... ;)

Why don't you post this in the Yardsale?

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2017, 01:05:32 PM »

And here I had figured there were some big tippers... ;)

Why don't you post this in the Yardsale?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183788.0

:bigsmile:
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2017, 01:22:06 PM »
I just called Trew Audio in Nashville.  They said I was the first pre-order and they got a few since then. 

Delivery will be before or on Halloween. 

Super amped.
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2017, 02:02:19 PM »

Paul

Paul.  The webpage I read of the MixPre10 says that it can be powered by Hirose (awesome) and AA sled.  Can it be powered by USB-C as well (like the 3 and 6) or did they do away with that option on the 10?

Thanks.
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2017, 02:24:53 PM »
No powering via USB.

Offline tom the taper

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2017, 02:48:59 PM »
No powering via USB.

Thanks Paul!!  For being here and all...
MK4V, MK41, MK3, AKG 414XLII, CSB
V3, SD mp2, UA5
MixPre-6, 744, M10, MT II, MT2496, SV250, D5, D6
NBob Actives, GAKables

Offline voltronic

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2017, 06:29:20 PM »
I have to wonder, other than AES inputs and MixAssist, what else would cause someone to buy the $5000 more expensive 788T-SSD now?  Frankly I'm very surprised (but pleased) to see the 10T come to market because of that undercut, but perhaps sales of 788s have been pretty slow in recent years.

SD is sure to sell a boatload of these now that they've addressed some of the major annoyances in early firmware.

Paul, I still am waiting to hear how the Kashmir preamps compare to those in the 788, which I know had been the best you offer.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
^adding to Voltronic's question, do you know if the mixpre 3, 6 or 10 will sync audio to video in the new Nikon D850 and whether you can automatically start and stop audio recording over HDMI from the D850 to any of the mixpres?

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2017, 11:53:43 PM »
I came across some uncertain artifacts in a 4-channel recording of the Lil Smokies last night.  Two pairs of mics, no preamps, just Schoeps into the Mixpre-6

It sounds like distortion or clipping.  It is not one source or the other, it is on both.  Peaks never went totally bonkers.

Samples of the sources rough mixed together:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph297ecv388unlb/LS_Sample2.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgj6m44z19yd7zb/LS_Sample3.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i10bubhovzaxr0p/LS_Sample4.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2ykzz1fm7ul4n2/LS_Sample5.mp3?dl=0

Happy to post longer samples or a whole song if it helps.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
I came across some uncertain artifacts in a 4-channel recording of the Lil Smokies last night.  Two pairs of mics, no preamps, just Schoeps into the Mixpre-6

It sounds like distortion or clipping.  It is not one source or the other, it is on both.  Peaks never went totally bonkers.

Samples of the sources rough mixed together:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph297ecv388unlb/LS_Sample2.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgj6m44z19yd7zb/LS_Sample3.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i10bubhovzaxr0p/LS_Sample4.mp3?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p2ykzz1fm7ul4n2/LS_Sample5.mp3?dl=0

Happy to post longer samples or a whole song if it helps.

i'm not seeing or hearing anything.

limiters involved?
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (18)
    • my list
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2017, 10:00:31 AM »
I don't hear anything either.  Maybe on sample 4 but I don't think it's from recorder.
Neumann ak40 > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA or km140 > Sound Devices MixPre-6

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/gordonlw

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
Crap, I hope it isn't my HD700's.  I'll check on the VR4jr's in a bit.

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »
So the only output on the MP-6 is the 3.5mm port? There is no way to route L/R mix out of the USB port? I want to try live stream though Mixlr.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
So the only output on the MP-6 is the 3.5mm port? There is no way to route L/R mix out of the USB port? I want to try live stream though Mixlr.

This should work via the USB audio interface. I tried it once and couldn't get it to work but plan on revisiting this this weekend. Everytime I've used the mixpre so far I needed to ensure the stream worked so I just kept using my sonicport - which I know works for streaming - but this weekend I am recording a show thats not as critical to successfully stream. 

According to the manual USB-7 and USB-8 correlate to L/R
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:37:51 PM by rippleish20 »
MK22's / MK41's / MK41v's (for sale) / MK4v's / MK4's / AKG C480Bs+ck61, ck63 / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers (for sale) / AT853s (for sale)
KCY 250/5 and Nbob KCY (x2) > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox  / SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box

Offline willndmb

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
Has anyone run the mp_ "out" > a camcorder (mic in)?
That's the huge plus of my Dr-60d, multi options to run out > in

Offline ICTWoody

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Art Director. Audiophile. Kansan.
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Hey guys. Been trying to keep up with the thread, but travel has made that kinda hard.

I just received my MixPre-6 and I'm looking forward to trying it out. What is the current favorite/approved media preferences for the MP6? I need to order up a couple new SD cards to use in it and I wondered what everyone was liking from a compatibility and reliability standpoint?

Also, I want to snag a USB-C Battery to use. Favorites of the week?

Thanks,
Woody

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
Here is what I am using currently. I have also used a sandisk extreme 64gb, but I like having the larger capacity. I haven't seen any issues with cards since the first firmware update.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VBNQ1LC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for batteries, there are just too many, I have a bunch, but there is a specific thread addressing it here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182362.0

Also there is plenty in this thread which has 4 parts. Anything with a USB C output should perform well.
Enjoy your MixPre. It is a great deck.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 08:16:36 PM »

I tried streaming via the audio interface again this weekend. I think the problem is that  mixlr (or the iDevice itself) has no way of choosing which channels of the audio interface to use and its going to require another app first allowing you to chose the channels and then sending the selected ones over audiobus to mixlr (apps on ios can route audio between supported programs via audiobus)

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:54 PM »
Officially joining the team! 

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »
Officially joining the team!

Welcome aboard!  3 or 6?

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
6!

Offline markrsmith

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:22 PM »
Wondering if users are happy with these Kasmir preamps, and not need an external pre? And are these equal or better than the 702-788 series preamps? It is seeming that way, but still want to ask before i purchase a 3. Sorry for the question, done a little research but curious.

Found my answers in the 10 forum...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:13:04 PM by markrsmith »

Offline waltmon

• Taperssection All-Star
MX POWER SLED - For MP-3/6
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2017, 09:31:09 PM »
https://www.trewaudio.com/product/cable-techniques-mx-powersled/?removed_item=1

Cool power solution for Mixpre3/6 and made in the US...I like the looks of this better than the similar Hawkwoods hack, PLUS this is more flexible voltage wise for battery options...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:32:46 PM by waltmon »
U89s, KM140's, KM150's w/Nick modified PFA active cables, Mixpre-6, Oade Concert Mod 661mkII

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequencial $50.00 bills

Offline voltronic

Re: MX POWER SLED - For MP-3/6
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »

Cool power solution for Mixpre3/6 and made in the US...I like the looks of this better than the similar Hawkwoods hack, PLUS this is more flexible voltage wise for battery options...

I'm puzzled by why one would buy these accessories, unless you have already bought into a distributed battery system.  If you were starting from scratch, wouldn't it be much cheaper to use an appropriate USB-C battery that supplies the correct voltage?
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2017, 11:57:33 PM »

I'm puzzled by why one would buy these accessories, unless you have already bought into a distributed battery system.  If you were starting from scratch, wouldn't it be much cheaper to use an appropriate USB-C battery that supplies the correct voltage?

I'm with you 100%. The various USB-C Batteries are super inexpensive and run the mixpre6 forever.

Others have expressed concerns over the lack of a locking connector with USB-C. I've found a right angle cable solves all my problems. Others just want to use their current 9v or 12v batteries.
Recording:

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2017, 02:45:11 AM »

I'm with you 100%. The various USB-C Batteries are super inexpensive and run the mixpre6 forever.

Others have expressed concerns over the lack of a locking connector with USB-C. I've found a right angle cable solves all my problems. Others just want to use their current 9v or 12v batteries.
Exactly! As far as I know only people that already have the Sony style batteries are exploring the less than perfect Hawkwoods options. It is unlikely anyone would seek those dated batteries out unless they already were using them. There are more and more USB C batteries hitting the market every day, and they are inexpensive and powerful.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2017, 06:33:10 AM »

Exactly! As far as I know only people that already have the Sony style batteries are exploring the less than perfect Hawkwoods options. It is unlikely anyone would seek those dated batteries out unless they already were using them. There are more and more USB C batteries hitting the market every day, and they are inexpensive and powerful.

My comment was only directed at the Hirose adapters.  Actually the dual Sony battery sled looks attractive in the sense you can hot-swap with the dual battery mount and keep running all day.  The big downside is that those batteries with decent capacity are large and bulky.  The Hawk Woods SD-2 seems kind of silly by comparison, as you're spending $100 more to only mount one battery compared to the SD dual battery sled.

I suppose it would be just as easy to run off of USB-C batteries with the 8 x AA sled as backup, and you can hot-swap USB batteries as needed with the AA powering the brief periods during swaps.  If I end up buying one of these recorders, that's how I think I'd power it.

Too bad USB power isn't an option for the 10T.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »

Some users want a locking power supply connector and the option to use other powering options.  They built this connector into the 10t. 

Various lights and monitors still use L series batteries.  Photographers who already have L batteries may prefer them over USB batteries especially if they don't trust the nonlocking  USB connector.

Offline waltmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »
I've been pretty lucky to date but a usb c connector is a bit shaky in the world of field recording...an opinion shared by more than just me. Im still really puzzled why they went that powering route
U89s, KM140's, KM150's w/Nick modified PFA active cables, Mixpre-6, Oade Concert Mod 661mkII

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
I've been pretty lucky to date but a usb c connector is a bit shaky in the world of field recording...an opinion shared by more than just me. Im still really puzzled why they went that powering route

Maybe it depends on the cable, but I have to work pretty hard to get my USB-C connector out of the MP6 slot.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2017, 07:49:58 PM »
Here's a comp between the MP6 and the USBPre2, a short recording of acoustic piano.

COMP 1-A https://app.box.com/s/lj7a1k7ifelh3y271p7k944ngggkef5x

COMP 1-B https://app.box.com/s/6dcyz792iqb8ojiqe6dzg64a8r46h820

Beyerdynamic MC930's > ART Phantom Pro II > Y-cable split   > 1. to USBPre2 mic in > TASCAM DR100MK3 digital in;   &  > 2. to MixPre-6 mic in

Both recorded at 24/48.

One file is a bit louder than the other.

A river flows past my house. Not sure if it's audible on the tracks.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »

Got my mp6 today!  quick question regarding linking channels.  Do you make sure they are matched and then enable linking or simply link ahead of time and use channel 2 or 4 to balance if they are off a little?

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2017, 04:50:31 PM »

Got my mp6 today!  quick question regarding linking channels.  Do you make sure they are matched and then enable linking or simply link ahead of time and use channel 2 or 4 to balance if they are off a little?
It is a great question that I haven't had the time to figure out the answer to. It appeared to me that if I linked 2 channels, that there became significant differences in my balance between those 2 linked channels which I assumed was somehow based on the settings it was picking up from my pre-sets, but I couldn't be sure why linking appeared to create or change the balance between my 2 mics. It appeared to create a change as soon as I engaged the linking. I was linking 1-2, and linking 3-4, not all 4mics together, as mics 1-2 were Schoeps, and mics 3-4 were Busmans. Both sets appeared to show a disparity between channels as soon as they were linked. Further, I was wondering if knobs 2 and 4 were creating the disparity, as they were at the positions they had been in for gain on channels 2 and 4 before I linked the channels, I did not wind them down or center them. I didn't know if the pan would act like a balance control and therefore offset any difference, or if it would just throw my stereo image off. Because I was recording a live show and choose not to risk it or spend too much brain power trying to figure out what was happening or playing with the settings, I unlinked and used the deck as I had been using it. Then of course after the show I totally forgot to do any testing, so I wonder if others actually have specific answers. I was also thinking I'd ask Sound Devices for clarification, but this too slipped my mind. As you know setting up (in this case 6 mics) for a live show is not the best time to start to do analysis when something seems amiss, it's easier to just fall back on what is working if that is an option. 5 and 6 were linked too, but this is a moot point, because I run through a USB Pre2, and use the gain controls on the preamp as it is just easier than the gain controls on the MixPre for 5 and 6. That kind of renders my linking this channels useless.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »
Here's a comp between the MP6 and the USBPre2, a short recording of acoustic piano.

Beyerdynamic MC930's > ART Phantom Pro II > Y-cable split   > 1. to USBPre2 mic in > TASCAM DR100MK3 digital in;   &  > 2. to MixPre-6 mic in

Both recorded at 24/48.

Both sound very good, but surprisingly different given that there's only a 0.5 dB difference in level.  It almost sounds like two takes where the mics were moved slightly.

Never having heard either preamp, I can't tell which is which.  I'll only comment that File A has a fatter/thicker tone but I suspect B may be closer to reality.

Nice playing and nice piano also.  Yamaha?
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »

Further, I was wondering if knobs 2 and 4 were creating the disparity, as they were at the positions they had been in for gain on channels 2 and 4 before I linked the channels, I did not wind them down or center them.

That was it and that pretty much answers my question!  2 and 4 need to be at 12 o'clock for the balance to be centered.  so depending where you had the gain knobs it either unbalanced right or left right away.  so it does sound like we need to link beforehand or we'll see what you saw.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2017, 08:35:12 PM »

Both recorded at 24/48.

Both sound very good, but surprisingly different given that there's only a 0.5 dB difference in level.  It almost sounds like two takes where the mics were moved slightly.

Never having heard either preamp, I can't tell which is which.  I'll only comment that File A has a fatter/thicker tone but I suspect B may be closer to reality.

Thanks very much for your comments. It is only a single take but they do sound quite different as you say.

The piano does have that Yamaha crispness but it's an English manufacturer, Danemann, who used to make a lot of instruments for the Tropics and ocean liners. Mine, a 6'7" grand made in the 50's, has the soundboard screwed down in many spots, perhaps to keep it from warping in severe humidity. It has a terrific action, very chunky and responsive.

It probably doesn't matter whether this is a blind test or not. So I'll say your description of File A is very apt for the smooth nature of the MixPre-6. Some have said that the USBPre2 is similar to the 788T preamps. Do owners of that recorder find it to be more clinical and, as you say, "closer to reality"?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Neither file has digital harshness that seems to affect some piano recordings.  Of the two, I like A better because it seems to have a fuller presence. 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2017, 10:01:17 PM »

Both recorded at 24/48.

Thanks very much for your comments. It is only a single take but they do sound quite different as you say.

The piano does have that Yamaha crispness but it's an English manufacturer, Danemann, who used to make a lot of instruments for the Tropics and ocean liners. Mine, a 6'7" grand made in the 50's, has the soundboard screwed down in many spots, perhaps to keep it from warping in severe humidity. It has a terrific action, very chunky and responsive.

It probably doesn't matter whether this is a blind test or not. So I'll say your description of File A is very apt for the smooth nature of the MixPre-6. Some have said that the USBPre2 is similar to the 788T preamps. Do owners of that recorder find it to be more clinical and, as you say, "closer to reality"?

Hmm, never heard of that maker.  Soundboard screwed down, you say?  That's certainly unusual but clearly it works.  I was thinking that the sustain of the bass reminds me of my Yamaha U1 upright.

Perhaps I should explain my "closer to reality" statement.  The "fat" sound of A is the one I preferred, but piano recordings in home studios tend to sound a bit thin at times, and not knowing your instrument I thought B was the "un-hyped" version. 

I'm still surprised how different these two files sound.  It almost sounds like two different mic positions.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »

Both recorded at 24/48.

Hmm, never heard of that maker.  Soundboard screwed down, you say?  That's certainly unusual but clearly it works.  I was thinking that the sustain of the bass reminds me of my Yamaha U1 upright.

Perhaps I should explain my "closer to reality" statement.  The "fat" sound of A is the one I preferred, but piano recordings in home studios tend to sound a bit thin at times, and not knowing your instrument I thought B was the "un-hyped" version. 

I'm still surprised how different these two files sound.  It almost sounds like two different mic positions.

Lol. They sound the same to me (iPhone > usb CarPlay > crappy car speakers).

Both sound great but I can’t discern a difference.

:shrug:
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2017, 10:12:10 PM »
Neither file has digital harshness that seems to affect some piano recordings.  Of the two, I like A better because it seems to have a fuller presence.

The Beyerdynamic MC930 (which I first heard about on this forum) is a great mic for piano. It's a bit "dark" or mellow and works well with close-miking.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »

Both recorded at 24/48.

Lol. They sound the same to me (iPhone > usb CarPlay > crappy car speakers).

Both sound great but I can’t discern a difference.

:shrug:

Try it at home on a good setup.  I'm listening on my KRK monitors, and the difference is not small.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline adrianb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2017, 09:08:30 AM »
Both recordings sound equally good to me. They are definitely different, but both are excellent.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »

Further, I was wondering if knobs 2 and 4 were creating the disparity, as they were at the positions they had been in for gain on channels 2 and 4 before I linked the channels, I did not wind them down or center them.

That was it and that pretty much answers my question!  2 and 4 need to be at 12 o'clock for the balance to be centered.  so depending where you had the gain knobs it either unbalanced right or left right away.  so it does sound like we need to link beforehand or we'll see what you saw.

So how were you able to unlink while recording?  When I'm recording the link option is grayed out.  Can't turn it on or off unless it's not recording.

Offline waltmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2017, 02:19:14 PM »
That's my experience...you stay link til recording is in active

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
Any issues using linked? Seems like the way to go.

Offline waltmon

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »
Not that I've encountered...I did disable the on the fly mix because it makes this huge file and chops my mono files early because of the 2 gb file size thing

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
Yea I disabled that for sure.

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »

I link my cardiod pair but leave my MS pair unlinked because the mid and side always vary so much.

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »

So how were you able to unlink while recording?  When I'm recording the link option is grayed out.  Can't turn it on or off unless it's not recording.
I unlinked prior to the band coming out. I just decided that was not the time to start turning knobs and seeing what was happening. I do agree with your assessment though as to what was happening, but because my presets had certain (matched) gain amounts dialed in, I just decided unlinking was my safest bet.

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2017, 08:36:02 PM »
For those that may not have come across this yet, a "feature comparison" sheet of the 3 new MixPre recorders (-3, -6, & -10T)...

http://cdn.sounddevices.com/download/lit/MixPre-10T-Web-SellSheet.pdf
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:29:49 PM by sos »
Mics: AKG Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) | Franken Nak(s): CM-700 (CP-701/702) & CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) | Primo EM4052PMI4 (CP-3) | AT853 (all caps)
Pres: Naiant tinyboxes (v. 2.5 & 1.0) & littlebox (v. 1.5/ot)
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre-10T | Roland R-09HRs & R-05s | Sony M10
Juice: XL-WPH3 | Eneloop Pro & Ladda rechargeables

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2017, 10:03:22 PM »

I used it at TTB on both a mk22 stereo pair and a mk8/mk4v MS pair. I encountered no problems. The L channel was a little hotter on both pairs, as we were somewhat LOC, and closer to that stack. It was simple to fix in post.

In the old days I might have tried to compensate at the show, but it's much easier to measure and fix in post.
Recording:

Offline willndmb

« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2017, 10:25:24 PM »
Are people having issues mixing sources at home since there is no time code or word clock on the mp6?

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2017, 08:38:48 AM »
edit:  never mind.....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:12:22 PM by Gordon »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
^What devices were you using and how long was the recording, please? 

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
mixpre 6.  2 sets 1 hr 15 each.

are y'all talking about linking decks?  I thought he was implying that from one deck there would be issues.  if you're talking about multiple decks disregard me!

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
mixpre 6.  2 sets 1 hr 15 each.

are y'all talking about linking decks?  I thought he was implying that from one deck there would be issues.  if you're talking about multiple decks disregard me!
That would be the natural assumption from the question.

Using multiple decks, the answer would be that if you are using the MixPre to record directly onto a dslr, the audio and video will lineup as it is being recorded together onto the same card at the same time so there is no drift, and if you are doing ISO tracks for a high quality soundtrack onto the MixPre's SD card you would need some sort of time code plug in which the MixPre accepts and then the audio and video would line up as that is the function of the time clock. Without using a time clock the synching of the audio and video or audio from a second source would be the same crap shoot it always is because of small differences between machines.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:47:40 PM by dallman »

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »

This should work via the USB audio interface. I tried it once and couldn't get it to work but plan on revisiting this this weekend. Everytime I've used the mixpre so far I needed to ensure the stream worked so I just kept using my sonicport - which I know works for streaming - but this weekend I am recording a show thats not as critical to successfully stream. 

According to the manual USB-7 and USB-8 correlate to L/R

I was able to get streaming via my Mixpre-6 working, using only my ipad in conjunction with it, or at least it appears to work. I will have to see how it works in practice.  The biggest problem is that the Ipad sees all six channels and unless the app on the ipad side knows how to deal with that, it won't work. Mixlr does not know how to deal with this. I got it to work by using AUM, which allows me to choose the channels I want and then sending if rom there to Audiobus and from there mixlr. Audiobus allows sound to shuffled between apps if those apps are Audiobus "aware".

Mixpre-6 > USB-A > ipad via lightning connector > AUM > Audiobus > Mixlr

An interesting anecdote is that I kept getting "device uses too much power" on the ipad side when attempting to use the USB-c connection, so I tried the USB-a connection and, sure neough, it works as some people have noted...

In the end, using the sonicport is at lot easier but this appears to work
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:19:06 PM by rippleish20 »

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »
One of the reasons I like the MixPre-3 is that I'm going to use it as a bedside headphone amp in addition to my recording rig.  I needed an AC power cord and wasn't too keen on paying $40 for a wal-wart so got this at Best Buy and it works great (green lights).  Note on the back that it has a rating of 15W and 3A.  Saved me $20.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 04:11:55 PM by fanofjam »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »
^ To piggyback on your headphone comment, can anyone comment on the quality of the headphone out of these units with respect to previous SD offerings? I remember that being a concern from others in the past; however, I've never owned any SD gear.

Also, is anyone using theirs for the USB interface functionality, and willing to share their opinion?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2017, 07:29:34 PM »
Is it possible to disable the LR mix?

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2017, 08:22:46 PM »

Yes...I don't have mine in front of me, but I think it's in the Menu under "Recording." Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I can double check when I get home from work.

I keep mine disable. I wasn't really happy with the mix I got out of it. When I'm running more than 2 channels it worked way better to manually mix the sources.

||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
Yes but you have to be in the advanced mode or in custom mode with record set to advance. Then you go to the record scree to turn off L/R mix. You can also disable the mix within the app by pressing on the red L/R button on the left of the screen when viewing levels horizontally.

Offline ts

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
Thanks. I just started using advanced mode. I was doing fine with basic but decided disabling the LR mix might extend battery life. I use the 8 battery sled for normal length shows. ~ 3 hours. Besides I really don’t see trying an Aud/SBD Mix on the fly. These units will handle up to 30 feet, right?

Yes but you have to be in the advanced mode or in custom mode with record set to advance. Then you go to the record scree to turn off L/R mix. You can also disable the mix within the app by pressing on the red L/R button on the left of the screen when viewing levels horizontally.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 06:54:04 PM by ts »

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
^ To piggyback on your headphone comment, can anyone comment on the quality of the headphone out of these units with respect to previous SD offerings? I remember that being a concern from others in the past; however, I've never owned any SD gear.

Also, is anyone using theirs for the USB interface functionality, and willing to share their opinion?

Feel free to ignore my opinion as I'm one of the MixPre designers and so a wee bit biased:) Headphone amp will make you want to listen to your entire music collection all over again - clarity and low frequency in abundance. Plenty of welly before distortion! Sounds great on my AT M50's and Sennheiser HD25's.
I'm using MixPre-6 in my music studio as a USB audio interface to both Logic and Protools all the time.  8 in, 4 out is all I need.

Offline audBall

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Thank you for the response, Paul.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
Thank you for the response, Paul.

Same here.  Good quality dedicated headphone amps run $300 on their own and a good DAC is another couple hundred, so buying a MixPre-3 for $650 is kinda like putting money in the bank.  OK well not exactly, but I'm more than pleased that my recording and playback hardware is integrated as much as possible.

Offline audBall

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
OK well not exactly, but I'm more than pleased that my recording and playback hardware is integrated as much as possible.

Thanks, those are my thoughts as well.

It's also convenient that they work with "any impedance" headphones, too.

Paul, is there an "ideal" impedance range, or is it truly any?

Offline heathen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Plenty of welly before distortion! Sounds great on my AT M50's and Sennheiser HD25's.

Does the headphone section have sufficient power for harder-to-drive headphones (for example, 600 ohm Beyers)?
Mics: Core Sound TetraMic | AT4031s | Countryman B3 | CA-14 omnis | AT853 cards | AKG 460/ck61 | Studio Projects CS5
Decks: Zoom F4 | Tascam DR-70D | Roland R-05

Offline GDfan

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2017, 09:56:49 PM »
I just uploaded my WideSpread Panic shows from Peach fest this summer. I wanted to post this here b/c the first night I recorded them in basic mode 24bit/48khz and the second night I recorded them in advanced mode at 24bit/96khz. For the second night I set the gain at 24db and used the faders to add 1db gain to the left channel and 2 db of gain to the right channel. I also used the low cut filter at 40 hz and used the limiter as well. I thought some of you would like to hear the difference b/t the two. I was in the exact same spot both nights so I feel this gives a good comparison.

Night 1: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=595730
Night 2: http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=595731

AKG AK63 > Niant PFA > MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
anyone looking for a wall wart I just posted my sd branded one in the yard sale for $25.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
New firmware update for the MixPre-3 and 6 (v1.51): https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware...

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
does it wipe setting when updating firmware?

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »

Earlier versions did not.
Recording:

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »

Earlier versions did not.
It is worth noting that if you have kept previous firmware upgrades on your SD card, when you go to install the new firmware, it'll ask you if you are trying to install the oldest firmware on that card first. Answering "No" will then bring on the prompt asking if you wish to install the next oldest firmware, and so on until the newest one appears. So there is no need to delete the older firmware updates, in order to install the new update, but of course there is no particular need to keep them either...

Offline larrysellers

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
I installed the update and all my settings/presets are still there.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (133)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2017, 06:59:11 PM »
Updated mine and my settings are still correct! 

Schoeps MK4's, MK41's> KCY 250/5 Ig> Naiant PFA(60V)> Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline ts

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2017, 08:08:32 PM »
Anyone find a short c cable like 1 foot?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2017, 07:08:30 PM »
What seems nonexistent right now is a dual right-angle USB-C cable under 3 feet.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #130 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
What seems nonexistent right now is a dual right-angle USB-C cable under 3 feet.

FWIW, I keep this permanently attached to my MixPre6 which is inside a portabrace bag. It is right angled and only about 6 inches, so you could combine this with a short cable right angled at one end too. I read some people had issues with this type of connector, but not with this particular one. I have used it with 3 different batteries and no issues at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Degree-SinLoon-Angled-Extension-Charging/dp/B071ZVQWJ5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509550280&sr=8-2&keywords=sinloon+USB+Type+C+90+Degree+Cable%2CSinLoon+Right+%26+Left+Angled+90+Degree+USB-C+USB+3.1+Type+C+Male+to+Female&dpID=31YtCse-cVL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Offline ts

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
Thanks! I ordered a one footer and the above.

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
Nothing conclusive but I'm flagging a potential issue and word of caution about recent firmware.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184207.0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 02:36:42 PM by vwmule »

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
Nothing conclusive but I'm flagging a potential issue and word of caution about recent firmware.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=184207.0

three of us over the weekend with the same issue.

Offline larrysellers

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
Make it 4. I did a Danjo set on Saturday and it has the "phasing". Weird that the Cowboy Junkies set I did on Sunday doesn't seem suffer from it. Something in the FW for sure.

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
Gordon, do you want to amend your note to SD, or want me to send my own?

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #136 on: November 07, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Gordon, do you want to amend your note to SD, or want me to send my own?

I haven't filled out an actual support ticket yet.  I just sent a quick pm to Paul on here asking if there where any reported issues.  I didn't have to time to post a thread as I was walking out the door but told him I would post details later.  Then I saw your thread.

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Thanks. I sent him a message linking to the threads.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:47:52 PM by vwmule »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
Does anyone have the 1.20 firmware??  It isn't on the website and I deleted off my desktop.  TIA

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2017, 05:06:59 PM »
when you click download, then agree you can hit the drop down for older versions.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
I have them all archived locally, so, if they ever stop offering the older versions, I should still have them (at least through now; maybe my diligence lapses over time)...

Offline nolamule

• Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »
I have it, sending email now.  :cheers:

Does anyone have the 1.20 firmware??  It isn't on the website and I deleted off my desktop.  TIA

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
It is on the website!  I finally figured it out.  Thanks for looking out.

I have it, sending email now.  :cheers:

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »
Interesting. I didn't have time to perform the update before my shows last weekend. Glad I didn't. My recordings turned out perfect.

I'm sure SD will take care of everything promptly. Sorry to hear about the issues.

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2017, 09:53:17 PM »
Just tuned into this thread.
This is very unusual - we haven't heard of any issue like this in v1.51, but we'll investigate.
If you have this problem, please send your setup file to Nelson or Danny in Tech Support and we'll try and duplicate.

thx for your help

Paul

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #145 on: November 07, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »
This is very unusual - we haven't heard of any issue like this in v1.51, but we'll investigate.
If you have this problem, please send your setup file to Nelson or Danny in Tech Support and we'll try and duplicate.

thx for your help

Paul

Thanks for checking in and the help Paul.  The community appreciates it!
Mics:
DPA 4028 (wide cards)
DPA 4023 (cards)
Earthworks TC25 (omnis) 

Pres and a/d's:

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre-10T
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #146 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:23 PM »

thx for your help

Paul

Thanks for checking in and the help Paul.  The community appreciates it!

Reason #1 why I'm really happy to be a paying SD customer.
Recording:

Offline dmcculh

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »
Make it 4. I did a Danjo set on Saturday and it has the "phasing". Weird that the Cowboy Junkies set I did on Sunday doesn't seem suffer from it. Something in the FW for sure.

I had the same issues as noted above. Had updated the firmware as others had and now have two shows with these issues since updating. Initially thought it was my cables/PFAs but appears it likely not... Was running battery powered with green indicator.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2017, 09:07:29 AM »
is the setup file I'm supposed to send just the presets?  so save presets?

edit:  looks like it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:19:33 AM by Gordon »

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
Yes - save your setup preset to SD card then email it to support.

Offline JM Charcot

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »
For the people having the problem, was it with mixpre-3 or 6?
Thanks,
JM.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
For the people having the problem, was it with mixpre-3 or 6?
Thanks,
JM.

3 I know where mp6.  looks like larrysellers runs a mp3?  not sure about the other one.

Offline larrysellers

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
Yes, mine is a mixpre3 and suffered from the phasing issue after the update. Switched back to 1.20 yesterday.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:53:14 AM by larrysellers »

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
Yes - save your setup preset to SD card then email it to support.

Email sent! Thanks.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
Already heard back from support with follow up questions.  Like Paul said everyone affected please email with the settings file!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:14:33 PM by Gordon »

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
Yes, mine is a mixpre3 and suffered from the phasing issue after the update. Switched back to 1.20 yesterday.

do you have channels linked?

Offline dmcculh

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:34 PM »
Sent in my setup file, thanks everyone.

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:25 AM »
Back from tonight's Oteil and Friends show. I used the older firmware and the recording has none of the issues the last one did.

Offline JM Charcot

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:24 AM »
Thanks all for the info, I moved back to firmware 1.20 on my mixpre-3 until the problem is solved.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
Another report of the issue on my post in the Facebook group.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #160 on: November 11, 2017, 08:56:29 AM »
Another report of the issue on my post in the Facebook group.

Have you heard anything else from SD on the firmware problem?  Thank you.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #161 on: November 11, 2017, 10:03:47 AM »
nothing since Friday when they asked for my raw files to analyze.  others have emailed settings as well.  not sure what others have heard back.

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #162 on: November 11, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »
Another issue-free recording last night after going to the earlier firmware. Again, do not upgrade to the current version.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2017, 03:23:27 PM »
I still need to send SD my NMA file!!  I did send a support email.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »

I have SEVERAL gear bags that I'm almost happy with for my MixPre-6.  I like the Orca 28 bag that I have but I would like an alternate bag with a slight reduction in size, weight and "visibility". 

I might give this K-Tek bag a try when it becomes available.  The K-Tek KSTGMIX Stingray MixPro Audio Bag for MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 Recorders.  Expected availability: End of Nov 2017

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1371251-REG/k_tek_kstgmix_stingray_mixpro_bag_for.html

K-Tek MixPro

Dimensions Interior (W x D x H)
Bag: 7.5 x 2.0 x 5.0" / 19.1 x 5.1 x 12.7 cm
Pouch: 10.5 x 2.0 x 4.25" / 26.7 x 5.1 x 10.8 cm

Dimensions Exterior (W x D x H)
Bag: 10.5 x 3.5 x 6.75" / 26.7 x 8.9 x 17.1 cm
Pouch: 10.5 x 2.5 x 4.5" / 26.7 x 6.4 x 11.4 cm

Weight:  1.3 lb / 605 g

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226514-REG/orca_or_28_mini_sound_bag_for.html

Orca 28 - OR-28

Dimensions Interior
L: 21.5cm / 8.46" - W: 11.5cm / 4.52" - H: 16.5cm / 6.49"   

Dimensions Exterior
L: 27cm / 10.63" - W: 25cm / 9.84" - H: 20cm / 7.87" -

Weight:  1.46kg / 3.218Lb

Offline larrysellers

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
Lowepro Adventura 170 here ---> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182573.msg2237380#msg2237380. It isn't a portabrace style bag like the others you referenced but I can pack a full active rig in it.

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

I have SEVERAL gear bags that I'm almost happy with for my MixPre-6.  I like the Orca 28 bag that I have but I would like an alternate bag with a slight reduction in size, weight and "visibility". 

I might give this K-Tek bag a try when it becomes available.  The K-Tek KSTGMIX Stingray MixPro Audio Bag for MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 Recorders.  Expected availability: End of Nov 2017

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1371251-REG/k_tek_kstgmix_stingray_mixpro_bag_for.html

K-Tek MixPro

Dimensions Interior (W x D x H)
Bag: 7.5 x 2.0 x 5.0" / 19.1 x 5.1 x 12.7 cm
Pouch: 10.5 x 2.0 x 4.25" / 26.7 x 5.1 x 10.8 cm

Dimensions Exterior (W x D x H)
Bag: 10.5 x 3.5 x 6.75" / 26.7 x 8.9 x 17.1 cm
Pouch: 10.5 x 2.5 x 4.5" / 26.7 x 6.4 x 11.4 cm

Weight:  1.3 lb / 605 g

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1226514-REG/orca_or_28_mini_sound_bag_for.html

Orca 28 - OR-28

Dimensions Interior
L: 21.5cm / 8.46" - W: 11.5cm / 4.52" - H: 16.5cm / 6.49"   

Dimensions Exterior
L: 27cm / 10.63" - W: 25cm / 9.84" - H: 20cm / 7.87" -

Weight:  1.46kg / 3.218Lb

I am using the Porta Brace and the more I use it the more I like it, but it has so much Velcro that it sticks to everything. The hardest part is reaching the on/off switch.

One word of caution (perhaps) on the K-Tek product. I ordered one for my Tascam DR701d. It was a really nice bag, but the fit was so snug that I was unable to use it with my 4 darktrain connectors attached to the sides. These were stubby connectors too, but from a storage standpoint the bag was just too small and too tight to leave those connectors permanently attached. I ended up returning it.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:13 AM »
^ Which Portabrace are you using; the one designed specifically (I linked to it in this post) or a different one?

I have been using a Petrol PS607 (now the Sachtler SN607) and it works pretty well.  Enough  room for me to fit the whole rig pretty easily, but a little too much room on the MixPre side...

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »
I've been using the Portabrace RM-Multi and it fits just fine with a pocket in the front for mics, battery, etc.  I'm not positive at the moment but also think it can be belt worn

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »
Lowepro Adventura 170 here ---> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182573.msg2237380#msg2237380. It isn't a portabrace style bag like the others you referenced but I can pack a full active rig in it.

Larry I bought one of the Lowepro Adventura 170 bags on eBay right after you posted the info on the one that you purchased.  It is a nice bag at a great price!!  Thanks for the recommendation!

I like the portabrace style bags and the K-Tek MixPre bag looks like it has the features that I would like, with a small footprint.  If I purchase it and I wind up being unhappy with it I'll just return it.

I am using the Porta Brace and the more I use it the more I like it, but it has so much Velcro that it sticks to everything. The hardest part is reaching the on/off switch.

One word of caution (perhaps) on the K-Tek product. I ordered one for my Tascam DR701d. It was a really nice bag, but the fit was so snug that I was unable to use it with my 4 darktrain connectors attached to the sides. These were stubby connectors too, but from a storage standpoint the bag was just too small and too tight to leave those connectors permanently attached. I ended up returning it.

dallman what are the interior dimensions on that Portabrace bag? 

Thanks for the caution on the possibility of too snug of a fit with the xlr's.  I wouldn't normally leave the xlr connectors permanently attached.  The K-Tek bag has plenty of easy access points and "dual curved zippers encircle each side panel to fully access inputs, outputs and controls".  It also has an easy access panel to the battery & SDHC card.   The front storage pouch (external battery) is also detachable.

https://ktekpro.com/product/kstgmix-stingray-mixpro/

Watch the video at this link!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:53:03 PM by dactylus »

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »

Thanks for the caution on the possibility of too snug of a fit with the xlr's.  I wouldn't normally leave the xlr connectors permanently attached.  The K-Tek bag has plenty of easy access points and "dual curved zippers encircle each side panel to fully access inputs, outputs and controls".  It also has an easy access panel to the battery & SDHC card.   The front storage pouch (external battery) is also detachable.

Here is the link: https://www.portabrace.com/ar-mixpre6.html
I'm traveling, so I don't have the bag handy, but Portabrace is great to call. They will talk to you and answer any questions. (802) 442-8171
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:19:29 PM by dallman »

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2017, 01:37:39 PM »

Here is the link: https://www.portabrace.com/ar-mixpre6.html
I'm traveling, so I don't have the bag handy, but Portabrace is great to call. They will talk to you and answer any questions. (802) 442-8171

^
The dimensions of that bag are not listed at that link and they are not listed on B&H either...   :shrug:   I'll visit with you once you're back from your travels.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:40:37 PM by dactylus »

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2017, 11:52:13 PM »
 :banging head:  Not happy with this deck right now!  Doing a simple battery test tonight (Anker PowerCore+ 26800).  About to go to bed so I went to stop the deck.  Won't stop, can't raise/lower gain, pushing gain knobs does nothing,  can't get in menu etc!  Disconnected usb cord and the power light didn't change to reflect the AA.  Completely locked up but was still recording (at least it appeared to be).  Had to just turn it off.  Took a couple short videos and will get them on youtube tomorrow.

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:30 AM »
:banging head:  Not happy with this deck right now!  Doing a simple battery test tonight (Anker PowerCore+ 26800).  About to go to bed so I went to stop the deck.  Won't stop, can't raise/lower gain, pushing gain knobs does nothing,  can't get in menu etc!  Disconnected usb cord and the power light didn't change to reflect the AA.  Completely locked up but was still recording (at least it appeared to be).  Had to just turn it off.  Took a couple short videos and will get them on youtube tomorrow.

What firmware version?

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2017, 12:03:11 AM »
1.20 I rolled back b/c of the issues I and others had with 1.51

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1iEpL8JlJA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilwlLbNvF88

Quote from someone on the facebook group

This often happens on my MixPre 3, total lock up have to switch power off then back on to unfreeze. Only happens with Anker battery and USB c to USB c cable. Was hoping was the brand or characteristics of these cables. Never locks in with USB a to USB a cable. Using latest firmware 1.5

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
another confirmed lockup on my facebook post

It happened to me a few days ago recording interviews for a documentary. I noticed my MixPre was extremely hot and turning it off and on solved it. But like you said it’s very lucky you weren’t recording.

In my case the unit was barely warm to the touch!

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »
Mine has locked up a couple times but as I recall, it happened after pressing "stop" on a recording. Had to pull the battery cable.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
Mine has locked up a couple times but as I recall, it happened after pressing "stop" on a recording. Had to pull the battery cable.

did stop work and then it locked up?  I was trying to stop mine and it was stuck recording.

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »
My mixpre6 developed a problem this summer where once the deck was recording, the stop button wouldn't work and I have to use the wingman app to stop recording. I was also unable to use the playback functions.

I sent it back to SD, and they repaired it for free.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:14:43 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
My mixpre6 developed a problem this summer where once the deck was recording, the stop button wouldn't work and I have to use the wingman app to stop recording. I was also unable to use the playback functions.

where you able to still control gain etc?  mine wouldn't let me do anything.

Offline larrysellers

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Qualified
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2017, 08:19:37 AM »
I ran the test twice with the hypergear battery and after switching to the AA's it shutdown gracefully both times once they drained. How many mics were you phantom powering during the test?

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2017, 08:27:55 AM »

where you able to still control gain etc?  mine wouldn't let me do anything.

Yes, everything worked except the stop button and the transport controls. I was able to change menu settings, adjust gain, and everything. I recorded all the Phish BD shows that way, and sent it to SD after. Now works fine.
Recording:

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
I ran the test twice with the hypergear battery and after switching to the AA's it shutdown gracefully both times once they drained. How many mics were you phantom powering during the test?

just 2 phantom.  did it switch to aa on it's own or did the message come up about changing to battery power?

Online vwmule

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2017, 11:25:24 AM »
> did stop work and then it locked up?

No, it happened after I stopped (and saved) the recording.

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
I'm nervous about running for Matisyahu tonight.  Problems with both the Anker batteries and fw 1.20 have me tweaking a bit.

Online yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »
I'm nervous about running for Matisyahu tonight.  Problems with both the Anker batteries and fw 1.20 have me tweaking a bit.

Run your SX-M2 in front of it...  use the XLR outputs on SX-M2 > MixPre and the 1/8" output on SX-M2 > M10.
Safety safety safety!!!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2017, 01:53:44 AM »
I have had no issues, but I did roll back to 1.20. I do not have any Anker Batteries, and I continue to run without issue. Just use a different battery and if you have not had issues there should be no problems.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
Now wondering if my issues are related to the usb c to c cable I was using.   see my post in the battery thread........

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
No problem with my recorder or battery last night although there is an intermittent problem with either my KCY or the PFA I connect it with.  My mid-side pull is hosed.

Offline dallman

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2017, 02:01:20 AM »
Now wondering if my issues are related to the usb c to c cable I was using.   see my post in the battery thread........
If you look at USB C to C cable reviews on Amazon, there have been issues with some brands.

Offline rigpimp

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
I'm gonna retract part of what I said above.  I have my ORTF pair set to output so I can listen in the car on the way home.  It's always worked and is part of my presets.  I could not get any of the 5 files to play for the life of me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 2.149 seconds with 214 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com