Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic for Voice Over for Sony WM-D6C?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline stuart1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Mic for Voice Over for Sony WM-D6C?
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a microphone to be used specifically for voice over for the Sony WM-D6C?

mfrench

Re: Mic for Voice Over for Sony WM-D6C?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
why such an antiquated technology?
consider this a bump to the top, rather than a serious question.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
Anything self powered will work unless you also have a pre for it. 

I used to use the little AA battery powered Sony ECM-MS907 mic for interviews with the D6 then minidisc and it worked very well for that (and actually made a few great music recordings as well in the right sort of room. 

Given you will in all likelihood be editing the results you definitely should just get a digital recorder.  So much easier for that sort of thing. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline stuart1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation on the ECM-MS907.

I've had a high-end Digital Marantz field recorder for years, but am looking to experiment with analog field recording.

I'm open to other suggestions, if anyone has others besides the ECM-MS907.

I already have a CA-14 cardioid, CA-14 omni, a Coresound binaural microphone set and a SP-CMC-4U.

I am wondering if there are better options for voice over specific recording than these?

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »

Nakamichi CM300. Not very susceptible to handling noise (especially with the omni cap) and comes with a pop filter for close talking.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »

Nakamichi CM300. Not very susceptible to handling noise (especially with the omni cap) and comes with a pop filter for close talking.

True that.  Any Nakamichi (the CM100 uses AA's so is somewhat easier on that score).  They're more directional with the card cap so better for speaking into than for a conversational setting but the omni cap may be good depending on what you're trying to do.  For concerts in the 80's with the D-6 we upgraded to Naks fairly quickly.  If you're moving around the Naks will be more forgiving on handling noise.  They are much larger and use full size XLR cables which are also larger and being round kind of require a stand or more thought on how you'll mount them.  The MS-907 has a tiny mount/stand that comes with it which is great for tabletops and very compact. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

Offline stuart1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
Excellent, thanks for the recs.

Does Nakamichi sell a preamp or battery box to go with the CM300 -- as it sounds like one is needed?

Also, has anyone here ever attempted to use a CA-14 with a pop filter for voice over recordings? If so, any feedback on how it sounded?

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »
There is the "Nakamichi MX-100 Microphone Mixer" which provides gain...back in teh day I cut the DIN cable an made a 9v (the old Transistor Radio battery) battery box to power it...it was a strange wiring set up +10v and -10v requiring multiple batteries...but worked like a charm...even has Three COUNT THEM THREE preamps!

:bigsmile:

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline stuart1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:33:34 AM »
If I want to record in mono, is there a better option than the ECM-MS907 or the CM100?

Offline stuart1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 02:43:39 AM »
Also, does the CM300, specifically, need an alternate power source?

I have preamps and battery boxes for other mics -- I'm doubtful they would work with the CM300.

Offline stuart1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 02:46:14 AM »
Actually, looking at a photograph of one for sale online, it looks as though it might indeed run on batteries?

Offline bombdiggity

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 02:53:38 PM »
Several questions but:

The CM 100 and CM 300 are single point standard mics so you will be recording in mono with them (unless you get two of them).  They use XLR cables (which means you need an adapter to your D6).  They run on batteries (self powered, which is simpler).  As I'd noted earlier the CM100 uses standard AA batteries.  The CM300 uses a specialized battery which is pretty expensive and obscure.  You'd need to find those or search around here for some powering workarounds (combinations of watch batteries, etc.).  The batteries last a long time if you don't leave them in the mic. 

The Nakamichi mic mixer was intended for their 3 mic setup.  It's probably more gear than you want if you can find one. 

A preamp would probably have to be custom since I think they require slightly different power than most other mics.  Maybe a phantom supply will do it though? 

There is someone here on the board who mods them (or used to) to run phantom power (removing the battery chamber) but that doesn't help if you have a D6 or most small recorders which don't supply phantom.  Plug in power is not enough for them.  I don't think they have to be modded to run phantom though. 

The Sony MS907 is a stereo mic (with a minijack connection) and self-powered (it uses a single AA battery). 

The CA14 is also a stereo pair.  Those mics are tiny (think clip-on lavaliere style).  The thick windscreen they come with may be enough to prevent pops or you could get some tiny dead rats.  They're not usually conventionally mounted so a pop guard would not attach directly.  If you use them as a lavaliere (presumably in a pair with one clipped to interviewer and one to interviewee) you wouldn't need a pop screen.  You can clip them to a crossbar or mic clip and set the pop screen up around that though.  For an interview you'd likely need a battery box or power supply for them.  I don't think the output will be high enough in a conversation. 

The noise floor may be a little problematic with some of the tiny mics as they are adapted for concert recording of loud sources.  I would not for instance recommend my SP CMC-25's as they will very likely present some hiss when used to record talking. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:58:41 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com