Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway  (Read 1342 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline raymonda

  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 1375
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 12:21:25 AM »
The VPI or the Thorens? The VPI was a really great sounding table and really turnkey! If it was theThorens, well, that was also a beauty. The Origin Live motor, coupled with everything I did to it made it a really special table.

That being said, this current table is also something special. I just finished mounting the Audiomods arm and Benz cartridge and it is playing nicely, indeed. Over the next few weeks I will be tweaking the set up but right now it is playing like a charm. The dust cover should be in within 2 weeks and then I'll be putting it up for sale. Until then I'll be enjoying getting it perfect and ready for its new owner.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:23:40 AM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 1375
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 10:02:47 AM »
Inching its way towards perfection. I've decided to upgrade the power supply caps to maximize speed stability. Although it is already good, this should rest any minds and put them at ease considering these caps are 45 years old.

Last night I tweak and adjusted the table further and this morning I'm driving it with my Thorens stabilizer and TTW rim weight. Coupled with the Benz, pictured above, this table is crushing, Clashes, "London Calling". BTW, the reissue of this album is worth the price.

Offline raymonda

  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 1375
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 02:08:06 PM »
Here is the tables progress to date. I have a dust cover on order and a nice clamp. I will also be upgrading all the power supply components and installing an ebony body on the modded Benz ACE. What are your thoughts on the mat carbon fiber? Should it stay or should it be glossy?


Offline raymonda

  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 1375
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
I'm still tweaking this table but it is coming along nicely. The dust cover is being fab'ed and should be in soon. I'm upgrading the power supply and have a nice ebony body that will replace the current wooden one on the totally hot rodded Benz Micro cartridge. This table is playing like a charm and really digs deep into the grooves and extracting every detail. I'm hoping to keep this as my second table but that might be difficult. When finished the price will be around $2,300 without cartridge and around $3,200 with the cartridge. This may be the last TD 150 I'll undertake as the prices for a stock TD 150 have climb to silly prices. Even a beater 150's are going for far more than they should. Needless to say, the one's I create are on a extreme level, design to perform and out perform tables costing 2 to 3 times as much. If you are a lover of vinyl and looking for your "end of days" table that is visually striking, this might be your table.

Offline raymonda

  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 1375
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 01:40:59 PM »
New shots. Note chassis damping and carbon fiber spacer and finger lift.

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • *****
  • Posts: 8837
  • Gender: Male
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 09:58:19 PM »
^ Why 33.7? Shouldn't that speed box be reading 33.3?

Nice looking table BTW.
-24      -12              -6             0       OVER
||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []  
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel || Tumblr Concert Blog|||

Offline raymonda

  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ****
  • Posts: 1375
Re: Thorens TD 150 Project #3 underway
« Reply #21 on: Today at 12:55:58 AM »
Great question. The MHCC does not measure RPM's, so the read out is actually missleading. They most likely set the reading to a set voltage, thus 33.3 is their established voltage/RPM standard. It really should read in output voltage to be more accurate. 33.7 is just the setting which gets the actual rpm' set at 33.3. I use both a strobe and an RPM app to ensure the speed is spot on.

 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com
Powered by SMF
Website Design by Foxtrot Media, Inc., a Baltimore Website Company