Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why no Schoeps Shotgun capsules?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Why no Schoeps Shotgun capsules?
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:55:04 PM »
The Schoeps MiniCMIT http://www.schoeps.de/en/products/minicmit, seems like it would work very well with an mk8 and a kcy cable.

Does anyone care to speculate why the shotgun microphones are stand alone affairs, and they haven't developed a capsule version which can be used with the rest of the modular colette system?
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Why no Schoeps Shotgun capsules?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Good question.  Seems like the non-digital mini and the 5 could be / should be.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »
The most obvious reason I see is because of the on-board filters (switchable on the CMIT 5; fixed on the MiniCMIT).  Those filters likely require more room than they could fit into a capsule, and I'm not sure where in the circuit those filters are being applied.  If I had to guess, it would be following the amp stage.  Any builders or Schoeps experts have any insight?

I suppose they could make a separate shotgun capsule with no filtering, but then that's additional post work for the dialog people who are using these heavily every day.  The on-board filtering is probably so much more convenient.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:02:47 AM »
Right, filter circuitry and switches are typically found in the amplifier body.

Not having those, the MiniCMIT would be the obvious candidate for a colette option.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:56:13 PM »
Right, filter circuitry and switches are typically found in the amplifier body.

Not having those, the MiniCMIT would be the obvious candidate for a colette option.

No switches, but the MiniCMIT does have filtering; it's fixed at 70 Hz.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »
Purely a guess, but I doubt that they perceive a real market for such a product. Most people who use shotgun microphones professionally, don't regard them as interchangeable with other patterns--either in the way they function or the way you use them. If the user wanted to switch capsules in the field, s/he would probably have to readjust the whole boom mike setup, possibly with a different windscreen and shock mount--not just replace the capsule.

Applications for a shotgun capsule on a Colette extension cable, tube or gooseneck don't come readily to mind--plus professional film and video shoots these days tend to be high-RFI situations. So again that skews things toward a complete microphone, not a component approach.

The other replies in this thread seem right to me as well. Some kind of low-frequency cutoff is really mandatory when recording dialog and most effects, and if you can build that directly into the amplifier (whether you make it switchable or not), so much the better.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 10:17:55 PM »
Dsatz, as usual, thanks.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com