Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is going on here?  (Read 7775 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What is going on here?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
As it happens, I'm seeing Oteil tomorrow in Baltimore and will run the MP6 with the previous firmware. Will also run mics into Zoom F8.
Can you change the firmware between sets?  It might be very useful to see if you can reproduce the problem.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 03:43:49 PM »
Can probably attempt that.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 04:04:56 PM »
> Are you guys using "proper powering"?

Mine is green, always has been.

Jbell and I both have green powering.  Both using mp6 with latest firmware and channel linking.  I was running my ak 40's, john his mk41's both on the same stand with a vark bar.

Anyway here's more info.  I too originally thought it was phasing b/c they had the big ass fan cranked and the stand was swaying some!  That said we both always use dpa screens there and I've taped in the same room with the same big ass fan for 13 years without issues.  And there are some spots that are just unnatural sounding dips and burst of gain on both sources.  It almost sounds like an auto gain feature kicking in or something.  As with yours it happens to both channels. Perhaps if there was slight phasing the channel linking feature "messed up" for lack of a better term. I'm just guessing!

I have listened to all of mine and also have John's untracked source.  I can confirm the issue on his source as well but I haven't listened to the whole thing.  There are spots on mine where it appears to happen on his as well but not as drastic.  There are spots on mine in the right channel and on his it's the left.  On my source the majority of it is during crowd noise and stage banter but there are a few spots in the music where it can be heard.

This is only my second outing with the deck.  I taped Holly Bowling a few weeks ago on firmware 1.20 with channel linking and had zero issues.  Taped npr in my office yesterday for 45 minutes without issues but I know that wasn't a great test!

Here are samples.  All are banter and crowd noise and can be heard best on headphones though you should hear it without.

https://soundcloud.com/user-622689380-134447863/sample

This is the waveform in the spot after he says "from Kansas City y'all".  As you see in the left channel there's a slight, sudden burst then drop and burst again.

sample 1 wave by Gordon Wilson, on Flickr

This is the same spot showing both mine and Johns.  I was convinced that the channels swapped but I guess it just effected his different as a few seconds later I can confirm the channels match in both sources.  His is audible there as well but not as bad.

Capture1 34mins by Gordon Wilson, on Flickr

Here's another random screen shot with a huge drop for a split second.

wave by Gordon Wilson, on Flickr

Here's a few more samples.

https://soundcloud.com/user-622689380-134447863/sample2

https://soundcloud.com/user-622689380-134447863/sample3

https://soundcloud.com/user-622689380-134447863/sample4
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:25:39 PM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
Exact same issues with both mine and jbells the other night! I'm out and about now but can post samples later when I get home. Gotta be firmware. I was thinking maybe channel linking but who knows. Where your channels linked?
This could be an (the) issue. I unlinked my channels just before a show because I didn't like the way the meters looked. I was running the new firmware, and had no issues after. That does not prove anything, but it is a possibility unless others having the issue were not linked.

That was because you didn't have the balance to center ;)
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 04:23:13 PM »
I'm going back to the previous firmware until this gets sorted out!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:30:33 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 05:37:05 PM »

Done!

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
Me too!  I also submitted an inquiry to SD

Done!

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 09:30:58 PM »
Just read this thread and listened to the samples.
Very unusual indeed and certainly nothing we've heard or seen so far with the latest firmware.
We'll investigate.
If you haven't already, please contact Nelson or Danny in Tech Support and send them your setup file so that we can try and duplicate.

Paul

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 09:55:26 PM »
Very unusual indeed and certainly nothing we've heard or seen so far with the latest firmware.
We'll investigate.
If you haven't already, please contact Nelson or Danny in Tech Support and send them your setup file so that we can try and duplicate.

Paul
:clapping:
This is the stuff that adds value to a purchase. There is nothing better then to know someone will help you out if need be. Hats off to Paul and SD
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dmcculh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
I had the same issues at NMA and PGroove last week too after upgrading firmware 1.51. Initially thought it was phasing too, but appears not to be. Was also concerned about my cables/PFAs but hadn't had time to trouble shoot with another recorder/phantom power source to see if it was reproducible. FWIW was running 4V's > NBobs/PFAs > MP6 1.51 with channel gain linked (USB battery powered with green light); happened at two separate venues on two different nights.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:33 AM »
We'll investigate.

Paul
Paul, ask your engineers to test Phantom powering anomolies, especially after the unit gets warm. Possibly similar to the phantom powering issue with the DR680 mki device (defined as certain mics with large capacity draws and/or too many mics drawing p48 created signal drops or just noise on one or more channels).
Of course, this is probably NOT the issue, but throwing it out there since SD is so good about their customer communication.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 02:13:55 AM »
Back from tonight's Oteil and Friends show. I used the older firmware and the recording has none of the issues the last one did.

https://archive.org/details/oteil2017-11-08
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:49:04 AM by vwmule »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »
I doubt it is P48 power.  It is a bug in the firmware, I haven't had this issue with any firmware, but the 1.51.  It is were P48 then it would have been present in earlier firmware versions. 

We'll investigate.

Paul
Paul, ask your engineers to test Phantom powering anomolies, especially after the unit gets warm. Possibly similar to the phantom powering issue with the DR680 mki device (defined as certain mics with large capacity draws and/or too many mics drawing p48 created signal drops or just noise on one or more channels).
Of course, this is probably NOT the issue, but throwing it out there since SD is so good about their customer communication.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »
I doubt it is P48 power.  It is a bug in the firmware, I haven't had this issue with any firmware, but the 1.51.  It is were P48 then it would have been present in earlier firmware versions. 

We'll investigate.

Paul
Good thought process. No one has issues previously,then after a firmware upgrade, diff folks have similar issue. As the thread has progressed I'd now go with your analysis.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »
Back from tonight's Oteil and Friends show. I used the older firmware and the recording has none of the issues the last one did.

https://archive.org/details/oteil2017-11-08

I rolled the firmware back too as I saw no reason to risk a recording. Fortunately since all the firmware upgrades were on my SD card, it was as easy as pressing a few menu buttons. Hopefully there will be another upgrade soon correcting the flaw. In the meantime I will stick with V 1.20
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com