Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Neumann tlm 107

(1/2) > >>

mepaca:
I have an opportunity to buy a pair at a good price. These would be used mostly for close micing of acoustic instruments, piano,etc. Any opinions?

DSatz:
No opinion (I don't use this mike or know anyone who does), but a question: What attracts you to this specific model? Its frequency response seems to be tailored for studio use, i.e. as a microphone with a specific "coloring" to it--and in most of its pattern settings, its directional response varies across the frequency range more than a small, single-diaphragm microphone of comparable quality. So that isn't the set of characteristics that one would normally choose for stereo pair recording from a distance in a reverberant environment.

sparkey:
I doubt you could go wrong with a large diaphragm Neumann

mepaca:

--- Quote from: DSatz on January 26, 2018, 11:34:12 PM ---No opinion (I don't use this mike or know anyone who does), but a question: What attracts you to this specific model? Its frequency response seems to be tailored for studio use, i.e. as a microphone with a specific "coloring" to it--and in most of its pattern settings, its directional response varies across the frequency range more than a small, single-diaphragm microphone of comparable quality. So that isn't the set of characteristics that one would normally choose for stereo pair recording from a distance in a reverberant environment.

--- End quote ---
D Satz- I have nothing but immense respect for your knowledge and wisdom. As stated though, this would be for close micing of mostly acoustic instruments in multi-track recordings. Many of my recordings and most of my releases are location multi-track using a combination of small and large diaphragm mics. i was wondering if anyone had an opinion of this mic for this intended purpose. I heard it on the cello in this live recorded piece and thought it sounded quite good. http://instantencore.com/work/work.aspx?work=5080512

DSatz:
Ah. Sorry--despite what is plainly said in your message, nonetheless I somehow assumed that this was meant for the more usual application that people have on this board. That was completely due to inattention on my part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version